Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Pretty much confirmed the October price cap

52303814360_65ec386089_c.jpg

52303332238_f28da76094_c.jpg

I was spot on with the prediction

I’m going with :
  • Gas : 14p kWh
  • Electric : 52p kWh

Yeah, I switched to that recently because Shell were taking the ****. They had my DD at £205 but our usage is £150 and, at existing rates, would only increase by £20 for 4 months across the winter. Obviously that's all out the window when the rates change in a month, but they're not estimating it on that so I have no idea where they get their estimates from.
That's why you can change it to what ever you like in the app...............................

An email from Outfoxthemarket regarding my renewal just burst the bubble I've been living in :rolleyes:.

I was on a fixed tariff of £68 per month and the fixed tariff they've offered me now is £228 per month with a £150 exit fee. I'm thinking I'll let them move me onto their standard variable rate and submit an accurate reading every month and try and reduce my usage somewhat and just have to crack on with things.

What irks me though is that I know some folk are probably exploiting things and getting exceedingly wealthy out of this whole situation.

Pretty much confirmed the October price cap

52303814360_65ec386089_c.jpg

52303332238_f28da76094_c.jpg

I was spot on with the prediction
Based on that, and a 19% increase in Jan, a 4% increase in April and a 14% decerease in July (suggested by Money Saving Expert), it would make my bill £285.72 if I did variable billing from October - Sept.

If I fixed from October, I’d be paying £285.80.

Looks like a no brainer to fix, esp if there are no early exit fees.

As it’s so close, I suggest it’s pretty accurate.

I’ve based my annual usage on the last 329 days usage so think it’ll be pretty accurate. Taking averages over one month isn’t a good idea as you likely aren’t using much gas at the moment.

The real killer will be winter gas rates!
Definitely, I thought I was fairly tight on gas usage in our house but last jan we used 1146kwh so £320 equivalent at those rates without elec or sc’s. Will avoid using at all costs this winter but it’s certainly going to be tough with two young children.

I think stories about the weak and elderly dying due to not being able to afford heating and food will start popping up if we have a bad winter.

Lets hope there isn't a cold winter. After all, they're somebodies aunts/uncles/grandparents.

We'll be setting the heating to 18c.

Only to come on between 6am and 8am.
11-1pm
5-7pm

On the days we are at work, it will be set to only function in the morning and evening.

Unfortunately, my wife is on maternity. And will be home a lot with the new born... however, he can be wrapped up warm.. and my wife doesn't mind 16c... lol

It's going to a colder winter, but not too bad... I have 6KW of panels going onto the roof over the next two months... So I'm hoping for some clearer days so I can stick on my 1KW heater in the living room when PV is enough to cover it.

It's going to be really difficult in large parts of Europe where the temps really can plummet over the winter.

To be honest thats most of Europe.
Even places like the NL are generally colder than the UK (and warmer in summer)

And even the places that are warmer the people tend to find it just as cold relatively anyway, I've been to Spain in Feb, wandering around in shorts and tshirt and the Spanish were all wrapped up in winter coats.
Is anyone else confused as to why we have a glut of gas that we cannot use/store but have taken delivery of gas from external regions? I can’t get my head around that. I’m sure there are reasons but that makes very little in the way of sense to me

We are helping to supply europe via LNG to gas "production" and have naff all storage ourselves.

Yeah, thankfully our gas usage is always pretty low, despite having gas central heating. Some of the people in this thread have posted some extremely high gas usage figures, I feel bad for those guys.
Agreed.
Absolute most gas I have ever used in a month was 1,400kwh.
So at the new October rate that's about £200. Then about £110 worth of electric so this winter my worst bill should be no more than about £310.
Take off the £67 or what ever it is as well and it's really not that bad.

Working out my own usage, this doesn't seem as bad as I feared? I'm working that out to £483/month without cutting back on usage and without factoring in load shifting to the Octopus Go cheap period.

I wonder how far I can get that down? £350?

Is anyone else confused as to why we have a glut of gas that we cannot use/store but have taken delivery of gas from external regions? I can’t get my head around that. I’m sure there are reasons but that makes very little in the way of sense to me

We demolished most of the Gas storage years ago , I remember when you could the gas storage in Manchester and Liverpool areas and how they would rise up the supports as they filled when I was a young lad

Back
Top Bottom