Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

15w x8 = 120w so 0.12kwh at most saved per day or 43.8kwh per year.... like I say hardly worth it considering the other issues it could cause and in some cases 'booting up' might end up removing any savings due to all the 'processing' it does on boot up. Not to mention 'power on' is usually the most stressful side of electronics and could end up causing the router to fail.
It doesn't pull any addional after a switch off and start up according to the smart plug so seems it just runs generally at least for the BT ones. Indeed turning off isn't huge but £22 a year (october) then for some people on lower usage maybe? Be double that in April etc

32kWh - as the cap is set based on 12,000kWh of gas per year. So 45kWh is 40% above average, but perhaps that's not out of the ordinary as I initially thought.
We use 11kWh average so seems im almost 2/3rd less than average then. So yeah maybe not out ordinary in that there must be like a 30% bracket of households in that figure if you assumed 30% near mine and the average in middle like 40%

I did wonder if you were living in a flat, that would explain it. If you're really lucky with your flat positioning you'll have one external wall and all other walls will be internal, another flat below and above, makes for very cheap/free heating. Huge difference to heating a detached 3-4 bed house with external walls on all sides, well insulated or not they aren't comparable.
Another reason why we should stop building so many housing estates full of semi and detached identical housing and start increasing density of existing stock and on brownfield sites instead then. Combined with better public transport and cycle infrastructure, it'll allow for a much better quality of life at lower cost for many people when mixed with commercial development and public amenities, parks, etc and leave vast swathes of countryside to enjoy as they are.

But our planning laws are madness and wouldn't allow that.

Then our housing stock is in much worse shape than we deserve. We live in a 2 bed flat that's around 7 years old - so perhaps much better insulated than most homes, but we weren't cold at all. Heating set to come on twice a day over winter and the thermostat rarely showed less than 20C during the day when we were WFH.
As others have said, you're in a flat. But yes old housing stock is poor.

We average 45kWh of gas a day. 4 bed 1920s house (extended 1990s). Draughty and no cavity wall insulation - the last *** who lived here "rewired" by dropping electric cables through the cavity. Including an 80A one to a second fuse box in the ext that goes up one 2-storey cavity, underneath the loft insulation, and down the other 2-storey cavity.

I keep plugging away at draughts and have caulked where the floors join the walls and recaulked the plastic "strips of shame" between the double glazing and the window surround. But short of lifting every engineered wood floor and insulating underneath, and rewiring so the cavity can be filled with EPS beads, I'm running out of improvements to make.

Oh and the boiler's 25 years old. We've been waiting to replace it as the hot water system needs work, and coordinating that upheaval is a pain. Might switch it for a new heat only boiler regardless as expected 25+% gas savings will pay for it v quickly.

The average must be around 38kWh or whatever the cap works out at no?

Ofgems claimed average would be around 32kWh yes, but reading this thread alone there's a huge variance based on house size, age and location, severity of winter will play a large part too.

We live in a large 1960's three bed bungalow*, typical use per year is 15000kWh. Prior to that we were in a 19th century two bed end terrace that I gutted, insulated all the internal walls, loft etc, typical use would be around 22000kWh and it was about 1/4 of the size of the bungalow we now live in.

I suppose what I'm aiming at is there is no such thing as average, very few people fit the description.

*Aiming to get down to around 8000kWh this winter, just about finished all the insulation in loft and under floors and log burner going in next month.

It depends on how it's implemented. The VAT reduction for hospitality during COVID benefited businesses because they could reclaim their input tax at standard rate but only had to charge customers a reduced rate.
That’s not how it works, it only benefited business because they didn’t pass it onto the consumer which they should have done if they didn’t raise their prices at the same time. What actually happened is they raised their prices (effectively a stealth price rise because it wasn’t visible to the end user) and ‘pocketed’ the difference. When the reduction ended they passed it on. As such it enables lots of business to raise their prices by the back door.

VAT does not impact the profitability of a business, it’s a tax in consumption which is born by the end consumer. Any input VAT suffered by the business is offset against any they collect their customer.

Note I use the term collect, they collect it on behalf of the government and pay it to HMRC. It’s not ever the business money.

If they made business energy VAT 0%, they still need to charge 20% on their outputs so the net effect is the same. You could argue it could benefit cash flow but that’s not really the issue at hand.

Well now i have a justifiable use to get rid of the 15 year old plasma TV :( Only just replaced one of the fans in the back of it (we wont talk about the dust inside EVER)

This is getting scary as hell now, I earn enough to cover it but i would sooner not be spending £320 a month on energy compared to the previous £110. That's £210 every month down the drain and the goverment (what goverment) are doing jack **** I work in the private sector wages are dead in the water and I hope the unions actually strike and something gets done.

45kWh per day averaged over the year is fairly typical use. Your 11kWh per day isn't, that's very low use, you're either very lucky or very cold :D

Yeah the 45kWh was my yearly average worked out daily, me and my wife like to have baths rather then showers, and its a big bath.

With having 2 young children we have the heating on a lot, in 2021 my wife wasn't working so she would be home quite a lot as well as the old boiler as mentioned.

Then our housing stock is in much worse shape than we deserve. We live in a 2 bed flat that's around 7 years old - so perhaps much better insulated than most homes, but we weren't cold at all. Heating set to come on twice a day over winter and the thermostat rarely showed less than 20C during the day when we were WFH.

I'd have to have a gas hob and be using all 4 to heat the flat all day to use 45kWh.

I remember working at B&Q before I went to uni back in 2007 and the big push to sell cheap effective loft and wall insulation - clearly that didn't actually improve many houses if we're still using so much gas to keep them warm, on average.
You live in a tiny insulated box surrounded by other insulated boxes. No surprise your heating is cheaper than a house. I use about 15000kWh of gas in year in a 4 bed detached.

Well now i have a justifiable use to get rid of the 15 year old plasma TV :( Only just replaced one of the fans in the back of it (we wont talk about the dust inside EVER)

This is getting scary as hell now, I earn enough to cover it but i would sooner not be spending £320 a month on energy compared to the previous £110. That's £210 every month down the drain and the goverment (what goverment) are doing jack **** I work in the private sector wages are dead in the water and I hope the unions actually strike and something gets done.

My place (public sector) hasn't given a payrise in nearly 10yrs

Can you get a gas smart meter if the original installer says he couldn't do it?
I don't know how much effort they will put in for free

It would really be useful this winter to test different energy saving ideas.

My place (public sector) hasn't given a payrise in nearly 10yrs

Yes, fully aware how the public sector has been shafted by Government efficiency targets when efficiency means less service of course. Thing is to pay for efficiency you need to spend more up front to improve equipment/process cuts do jack ****.

You live in a tiny insulated box surrounded by other insulated boxes. No surprise your heating is cheaper than a house. I use about 15000kWh of gas in year in a 4 bed detached.

Just to give an alternate point of view, we live (2 retired parents and myself) in a 2015 built 4 bed detached and use around 7800kWh gas a year, temps set in winter at 20/21C from 0600 - 1800. Although we have electric induction for cooking, so gas is for central heating and water only. We have hot water on for 30 minutes in morning and 30 minutes in the evening which is more than enough for us.

12500kwh of gas a year heating off on Oct to April 0500-0700 & 1700-1900 with the occasional boost when it's super cold , 4 bed dorma bungalow

15,000kwh of Gas used since 01/10/21. There are just two of us and my wife is WFH.

She's from Arizona and the culture of waste there is shocking, no solar at my MIL place despite having 3500sqft of available roof space and over 4 acres. They use a tumble drier to dry clothes and gas to heat the pool despite solar being the way forward!

My wife controls our heating by opening windows, the lights are left on as "this country is so dark" drives me nuts. She's a dem, before anyone asks, lol.

Fortunately we can afford the rises but we need to seriously review bad habits!

If you have a well insulated home why is your heating on all the time over winter? Even on the coldest days, our 2 bed flat only needs the heating to come on in the morning and again in the afternoon for a bit to maintain a comfortable temperature, even when we were WFH last winter.
The thermostat is set and the heating comes on as and when needed throughout the day to maintain the temperature. This is what I refer to as "on". It's not constantly firing.

Back
Top Bottom