Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Noise can sometimes be an issue, sure, but I wouldn't say it's any worse than when I've lived in terrace/semi detached houses in the past. It's all in the quality of the construction ultimately.

And the neighbours. You can have the kindest, quietest people living next door for years. They move out or decide to rent the property out and you get inconsiderate neighbours playing stupidly loud music like they think they're the next Glastonbury!

Living in an apartment block European style isn't that bad if they have a lot of space outside and big rooms inside.
We build cramp crappy flats only though....

In Europe they build apartment blocks that have a massive carpark underground then generous sized apartments with fairly big rooms and a good sized balcony that you could fit a 4-6 seater couch on.
Usually it's a bunch of blocks dotted around with small fields in between and each block will have its own playground area with swings, a slide etc and they are properly maintained.

they are for the poorer people to live in or small families 2 adults 2 kids etc.

over here they build the minimum possible in the smallest place possible and let them get rundown and dirty to save on costs.

The only one where people put lights on their house yes, the ones in my photo are perma lighting that has been on since months

From that I've read that is very true and it feels like it's getting worse*.

IIRC it's one of the reasons IKEA furniture like the Billy's come with the add ons for the top, as a lot of EU rooms are 2.4 meters or taller as the minimum whilst it feels like we're getting lower.

UK buildings, well lets put it this way, I walk into some of the new builds and have to duck under a standard length hanging fitting, the sort they come fitted with because when it's got a bulb in it it's nearly head height, and by the time you put on a lampshade it's now hitting my head :) (I'm no Andre the Giant, it just seems that ceilings have got lower).

*I'm fairly sure I read a while back that UK flats are actually in many cases smaller than their Japanese equivalents on average.

UK buildings, well lets put it this way, I walk into some of the new builds and have to duck under a standard length hanging fitting, the sort they come fitted with because when it's got a bulb in it it's nearly head height, and by the time you put on a lampshade it's now hitting my head :) (I'm no Andre the Giant, it just seems that ceilings have got lower).
Who the hell uses lamp shades? isn't it all about sunk in LED lights now? nothing sticking out.

My average daily electricity usage is around 20kWh. While we were on holiday the idle consumption of the house was 7kWh per day. I think I need to go around and see what's using so much.
Yeah idle seems pretty high. Mine sits at 2.5kWh idle with Fridge, Pond and Router. Most everything else in house was switched off at wall I believe. Consumption with stuff back on generally and when working from home and cooking with conventional fan oven at night is about 7kWh.

Liz Truss has "ruled out" further direct support for everyone to help cover the cost of surging energy bills, sources close to her have told the BBC.

Rishi Sunak, who is vying with her to become the next prime minister, has said the government "must provide some direct support to everyone".

But Ms Truss's team said she was not considering further universal support, like the £400 payment that all households will receive this winter.

Reports suggest a VAT cut is an option.

so why are people coating their houses with hundreds of lights then?

Can you genuinely not understand that people celebrate different things?

Why do people decorate things in general? Why do people buy balloons, bunting etc.?

If it has been up for months as you are claiming, obviously some laziness in taking it down in these cases, but I see people decorate their houses all the time.

Why do people decorate things in general? Why do people buy balloons, bunting etc.?
for months on end? it's permanent lighting....

one is white and the other is green so I'm guessing it's not a gender reveal thing...

outside of Christmas when do people put lights on their house then normally? cos I've never seen people do it.

are you only capable of giving obtuse answers or what? yet claim to know why people do it

Because they have more money than they know what to do with. So they spend £££ on pointless "things" because they can and want to show off. Or they are living outside of there means at an attempt to keep up with the jones.

for months on end? it's permanent lighting....

one is white and the other is green so I'm guessing it's not a gender reveal thing...

outside of Christmas when do people put lights on their house then normally? cos I've never seen people do it.

are you only capable of giving obtuse answers or what? yet claim to know why people do it

I don't think your neighbours need to explain themselves to you. You want to judge them for some bizarre reason, then that's on you. The exact reason is almost irrelevant as there could be many reasons and I would be speculating.

I don't think your neighbours need to explain themselves to you. You want to judge them for some bizarre reason, then that's on you. The exact reason is almost irrelevant as there could be many reasons and I would be speculating.
you were the one saying it's totally normal and it's not only at Christmas people decorate their house with lights but then can't give any examples? bizarre

why not judge them? they clearly want to be judged... the white one looks trash.. it's just a straight line hanging from the roof that cuts off abruptly and looks god damn awful like some cheap pop up santas grotto...

I'm sure they aren't decorating their house like that for anything other than "look at me"

Good for them then. I'm glad they are doing well.

Is this also true of everyone doing stuff at Christmas btw, or is that acceptable?
Unless you are religious (even though christmas has very little do with relgion) then yes, its a pointless activity to show your wealth and how spoiled your brats are.

Unless you are religious (even though christmas has very little do with relgion) then yes, its a pointless activity to show your wealth and how spoiled your brats are.

Who says they are doing it for you to see? One of them is even clearly on a house set back from the road where you can't even really see it all clearly.

Who says they are doing it for you to see? One of them is even clearly on a house set back from the road where you can't even really see it all clearly.
what you think they stand outside their house looking at it themselves? can they see it from indoors or something.
is it so they can find their house from a mile away? landing lights for aliens? they just like attracting moths?

Back
Top Bottom