Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Your immersion is 20kw? I thought they were 3kw max? 20kw would cost you £11 for 1 hour. that's got to be wrong.

Sorry i wasn't clear it's 20kwh for the whole house for the whole day. Of that, I think the immersion heater is responsible for about 5-6kwh of that. Friday's figures were 13kwh when I lowered it to 50c instead of 65C. And without doing anything different Saturday has shot up to 20Kwh again.

There is nothing to fix there, it works that way by design.

If they wanted to not have the VAT apply to the duty, they could quite easily make that change, they just don’t want to because of the revenue implications of doing so.

It’s long standing government policy to increase the price of fuel (fuel duty escalator), they just keep bailing out of it for political reasons. It’s why they talk about ‘not doing it yet’ at every budget.

Of course! it's been a long day :D

Well for some reason my usage has jumped up again to 20kwh. This is getting frustrating. I wasn't able to turn off the immersion heater due to a faulty switch near the boiler, so I resorted to turning it off at the mains.

The immersion normally has a switch by the tank if recently modern called water heater.
Its almost always one with a led light as well so its clear when its switched on.

You need to start listing what you have consuming energy
eg fridge, freezer, permanent hot tap
2x Tv, sky box, xbox, ps5, router
hot tub
fish tank, reptile vivarium (?), heated dog kennel
washing machine, tumble drier, combined washer drier

once you know everything it should be fairly easy to identify which are most likely and work down from there

Sorry i wasn't clear it's 20kwh for the whole house for the whole day. Of that, I think the immersion heater is responsible for about 5-6kwh of that. Friday's figures were 13kwh when I lowered it to 50c instead of 65C. And without doing anything different Saturday has shot up to 20Kwh again.

Would make sense since the temp would have fallen slowly, it really sounds like the immersion is constantly topping up the tank temp

Would make sense since the temp would have fallen slowly, it really sounds like the immersion is constantly topping up the tank temp

Top is the month of August so far, bottom is a typical day.

You can see the spikes from the immersion heater because that's almost exactly the same time either me or the wife takes a shower

I've started taking drastic changes since the 20th but it seems to have made sweet FA different at all.

I think considering how many people are willing to say they have an EV when they don't to get on a cheap tariff, how many people are willing to miss-represent their circumstances or location to get a cheap subscription (netflix etc) there are FAR too many people who are willing to scam and exploit situations as long as it benefits their own interests.
True, I forgot about the EV thing as well. Is odd how Surveyor jumped on me, with that going on also. I wont mention as advice again given how much he was offended.

If that's how you heat your hot water get a timer fitted for your hot water immersion or a boost button, rather than keeping it at 60c constantly. Wash your hands with cold water and fit more lagging around the cylinder.

Top is the month of August so far, bottom is a typical day.

You can see the spikes from the immersion heater because that's almost exactly the same time either me or the wife takes a shower

I've started taking drastic changes since the 20th but it seems to have made sweet FA different at all.

You deffo need to make sure the immersion is off, if you have as I think you said a gas boiler as well

Its no different to a kettle in effect, they are typically 3kw and if its permanently switched on as soon as it sees water below x temp (x being what you set) it will come on again to reheat, utterly inefficient!

You deffo need to make sure the immersion is off, if you have as I think you said a gas boiler as well

Its no different to a kettle in effect, they are typically 3kw and if its permanently switched on as soon as it sees water below x temp (x being what you set) it will come on again to reheat, utterly inefficient!

Yeah I thought I turned it off at the mains, like I said the switch itself by the tank is broken, I did play with the idea of pulling the fuse but I didn't want to risk it just in case what I turned off at the mains was mislabeled and I go electrocute myself.

Yeah I thought I turned it off at the mains, like I said the switch itself by the tank is broken, I did play with the idea of pulling the fuse but I didn't want to risk it just in case what I turned off at the mains was mislabeled and I go electrocute myself.

You said switch by the boiler not tank which confused me.
Is the switch labelled?
Normally switch failures result in it not working as opposed to being stuck on, but it is possible. If you have isolated from the mains then you can pull the fuse. But you should get that switch fixed.
Are you certain you have the right switch?

Thats pretty good, I might try and get on GO when my agile expires, someone on here got GO without been checked for an EV not long ago, so I might get lucky.

There isn't much point in GO unless you have a high demand for units you can draw in that 4 hour slot. (IE EV or batteries)
When you work it out the extra cost to day units works out around the same as a 24 hour same rate when you take the average, assuming a fairly flat usage curve across the 24 hours.

You said switch by the boiler not tank which confused me.
Is the switch labelled?
Normally switch failures result in it not working as opposed to being stuck on, but it is possible. If you have isolated from the mains then you can pull the fuse. But you should get that switch fixed.
Are you certain you have the right switch?

Sorry, just to clarify, there's a rocker switch by the tank upstairs that when you try to set it to the off position is pushes back at you and stays on. It's labeled as immersion and there are two thick white wires, one goes to the thermostat which is attached to the tank, and the other wire goes to a circler lump attached to the tank which looks like the head of the heating element itself. There is no light on the switch box itself.

Downstairs is the bank of main switches under the stairs, one is labeled Heating Tank, which I set to the off position on Saturday

Sorry, just to clarify, there's a rocker switch by the tank upstairs that when you try to set it to the off position is pushes back at you and stays on. It's labeled as immersion and there are two thick white wires, one goes to the thermostat which is attached to the tank, and the other wire goes to a circler lump attached to the tank which looks like the head of the heating element itself. There is no light on the switch box itself.

Thats deffo it then and it does sound like its broken. Yep isolate the mains and ideally get it replaced. Once you have mains isolated you can unscrew it and take a look, its an unusual thing to be wrong.
A basic immersion switch is cheap. If your ok with electrics just get a replacement and swap it over, just make note of and understand the wires before you disconnect.

Eg https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-20a-...VhCdLBaEtZZcMVaqpGBoCUIoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edit its worth a look as resistance is unusual, it could be obvious internally something is wrong, such as a piece of insulation stripped has fallen stopping the switch working, or a pinched wire but its most likely its a dodgy switch and it may always have been broken.

There isn't much point in GO unless you have a high demand for units you can draw in that 4 hour slot. (IE EV or batteries)
When you work it out the extra cost to day units works out around the same as a 24 hour same rate when you take the average, assuming a fairly flat usage curve across the 24 hours.
My usage is steady 24/7 pretty much depending on sleep pattern.

I am well outside the norm usage pattern. Plus the day rate is way behind the other tariffs, here is the current GO rates for my postcode.

Code:
Unit rate (04:30 - 00:30):

39.35p/ kWh
Unit rate (00:30 - 04:30):

7.50p/ kWh
Standing Charge:

44.48p/ day

Plus I could buy battery storage to cover me on day time use.

My usage is steady 24/7 pretty much depending on sleep pattern.

I am well outside the norm usage pattern. Plus the day rate is way behind the other tariffs, here is the current GO rates for my postcode.

Code:
Unit rate (04:30 - 00:30):

39.35p/ kWh
Unit rate (00:30 - 04:30):

7.50p/ kWh
Standing Charge:

44.48p/ day

Plus I could buy battery storage to cover me on day time use.

Go is going to go up though sooner or later its just a matter of time

Back
Top Bottom