Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Hmm my scottish power has jumped from £220 to £389.

My target is £300 as like most i plan to cut right back as its the absolute most i can afford.

It wont let me set my direct debit to £300, i can see why they are going to be charging their £5 unable to pay fee...

How would they know you are making changes, nor whether you will be successful.

Probably because your actual usage without SC will be above £300 at those sorts of figures.

Your electric usage looks reasonable, your gas usage is high at more than 16000 kwh for the year.

If you can afford to do so, consider moving to variable DD because you won't have to argue about DD estimates, you'll just pay for usage as you use it. Winter usage would be higher though so likely your bills in December/Jan would be much higher.

Look at cutting back on gas usage a bit if you can, set thermostat lower in winter, and if you have a hot water tank, lessen the window of time it works within/reduce target temp of the tank to a bit over 60C.
Yea in 2021, my wife was on maternity leave, so home all day every day, and we had an old boiler which has now been replaced.

True but i think they should still let people go into debt as getting something off a customer is better then nothing?.

Did you speak to them or try to change online? You may have some luck speaking to them if you explain usage pattern will change
Otherwise I would nag them after a month or so when you can demonstrate lower usage
I think its going to be a common theme with 2 main groups :
1) genuinely trying to change wanting to see that reflected
2) either not changing or simply wanting to pay less/nothing and hope it all goes away

True but i think they should still let people go into debt as getting something off a customer is better then nothing?.

Probably but if payments don't cover usage you'll just get into more and more debt, you'll need to lower usage a lot.

You can have the debate with them about it, don't forget the extra £400 we all get from October spread out over 5 months or so.

Probably but if payments don't cover usage you'll just get into more and more debt, you'll need to lower usage a lot.

You can have the debate with them about it, don't forget the extra £400 we all get from October spread out over 5 months or so.
Yea but image the debt if £400 bounces every month.

Did you speak to them or try to change online? You may have some luck speaking to them if you explain usage pattern will change
Otherwise I would nag them after a month or so when you can demonstrate lower usage
I think its going to be a common theme with 2 main groups :
1) genuinely trying to change wanting to see that reflected
2) either not changing or simply wanting to pay less/nothing and hope it all goes away
It was just through the direct debit bit of the app.

Is octopus go/intelligent mire expensive too now? I've been with them less than a month (but pre-cap announcement) so not sure what the current one was.
Depends when you can fix the electric really. I've been sat for two weeks waiting to be able to book an smart meter exchange and just had to call again this morning to sort it. Really hoping I can get this booked soon - the email says I'll be on GO from the day I get the new meter, which I hope means I'll fix at those rates, which are currently still low (compared to price cap).

I'll also consider a 1 year fix on gas depending on the price, as the next two price caps are looking pretty horrific too.

Who is oblivious? Surely everyone knows we are all pretty screwed, the problem is no-one in power is doing anything about it.
Just take a look aorund your friends and family, most people arent even thinking about it really. You can say its been plastered on the news for months, but the problem is with the current news media its disaster laden news all day every day, so people who even see that pretty much glaze over it. I imagine once the bills start coming in is when it will really hit the majority of the populations psyche.

Back
Top Bottom