Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Top is the month of August so far, bottom is a typical day.

You can see the spikes from the immersion heater because that's almost exactly the same time either me or the wife takes a shower

I've started taking drastic changes since the 20th but it seems to have made sweet FA different at all.

My guess is that your immersion is still on, despite you thinking its turned off. Presumably you aren't having a shower at midnight, so something is drawing 1kWh from 00:00 - 01:00.

FYI, even when I'm using energy intensive white goods my hourly draw very rarely goes over 1kWh in any hour period. The only time it exceeds that is if I'm running the oven, dishwasher or washing machine at the same time as each other

[Edit] even your overnight baseload is very high. You're using 800-900Wh in the middle of the night. For comparison, mine is 90-100Wh when we're all sleeping.

Top is the month of August so far, bottom is a typical day.

You can see the spikes from the immersion heater because that's almost exactly the same time either me or the wife takes a shower

I've started taking drastic changes since the 20th but it seems to have made sweet FA different at all.
I have an RTX3090 which i sometimes use for bitcoin mining (now energy is going up i will only be using it when either i have a suplus of generated power or if it is so cold i need electric heating on in my home office).... but for reference, other than a few time slots your baseline load higher than my base line even when i am mining.... (i am usually around 550wh when mining, 200 when not)

Latest plan from Thick Lizzy - grant 130 new oil drilling licences. She obviously doesn't realise that once a licence is granted it it 6 years plus before drilling actually commences and 10 years to get to full output

What makes you think things will have resolved themselves in 6-10 years if the UK just continues as it is currently.

The aversion to increasing domestic fossil fuel extraction is hardly the result of Tory policy alone.

Labour’s bid to ban fracking in England was defeated in parliament this afternoon. The party’s amendment to the Environment Bill was rejected by 357 votes to 216.

What makes you think things will have resolved themselves in 6-10 years if the UK just continues as it is currently.

The aversion to increasing domestic fossil fuel extraction is hardly the result of Tory policy alone.
I think part of the issue is that that is about the same timeframe we could be putting up new nuclear power stations...

IIRC a bunch of our fossil fuel power stations are aging out of economical use/nearing the time when they need to go down for prolonged overhauls in the same way that our current nuclear ones are, so will need replacing as well to make use of those fossil fuels.

in 6 to 10 years there will be either alternate sources of energy (probably not quite nukes but some could be just about online in that timescale with a sensible policy within a year or so), or there will be a lot less people alive in the UK reducing demand
No way the UK can sustain higher prices for that period

I am certain however there will be a lot more solar capacity, a lot more wind on (maybe) and offshore
Its going to make every consumer from people at home to businesses think a lot more about energy.
I mean we are just so utterly wasteful as it has been so cheap.
Oddly it will likely push as faster to a more sustainable future

Going to be interesting with commercial energy.

Big suppliers are refusing to renew energy contracts with smaller businesses unless they front a deposit, and smaller suppliers are looking to exit commercial energy altogether when the big renewal month hits in October - because they have to pay for wholesale energy up front and don't get paid by customers until later, and that's a big cash flow risk.

It's going to be apocalyptic.

I think part of the issue is that that is about the same timeframe we could be putting up new nuclear power stations...

IIRC a bunch of our fossil fuel power stations are aging out of economical use/nearing the time when they need to go down for prolonged overhauls in the same way that our current nuclear ones are, so will need replacing as well to make use of those fossil fuels.
Don't get me wrong we should have been expanding our nuclear power production decades ago given that its one of the cleanest and safest ways of producing energy.

But the opposition to nuclear power is if anything even greater than fracking. Its not the building so much as the consultations beforehand that are the issue.

Whatever governments in power would need to be resolved in their plans and have the law set up to tell the fox basher and any one else minded to engage in vexatious lawsuits to do one.

Oil wells Thick Lizzy (thanks , new in my vocabulary - good one)
UK needs assured gas supplies over next 6 years, though, unless the bulk of the population has migrated to (solar/wind/smr powered) heat pumps, those 'oil' wells will provide security, as other countries buy up the LNG.

Very nice of them.

Screenshot-2022-08-30-144914.png

Going to be interesting with commercial energy.

Big suppliers are refusing to renew energy contracts with smaller businesses unless they front a deposit, and smaller suppliers are looking to exit commercial energy altogether when the big renewal month hits in October - because they have to pay for wholesale energy up front and don't get paid by customers until later, and that's a big cash flow risk.

It's going to be apocalyptic.
Yes, it is. Mainly short term contracts being offered as well. Finally saw >£1 per kWh being offered earlier today although the market did actually drop quite a bit earlier, for no apparent reason as far as I can see at the moment

Yes, it is. Mainly short term contracts being offered as well. Finally saw >£1 per kWh being offered earlier today although the market did actually drop quite a bit earlier, for no apparent reason as far as I can see at the moment
Think natural gas price came down today as euro region nearly has enough reserves for winter and also promising to decouple gas and electricity price

If wholesale cost is what the companies are paying to buy electric from the producers, and with the new cap prices, the companies are selling with only a few pence profit... why is the cost per KW for a business so high? Why aren't households and businesses being charged the same price?

If wholesale cost is what the companies are paying to buy electric from the producers, and with the new cap prices, the companies are selling with only a few pence profit... why is the cost per KW for a business so high? Why aren't households and businesses being charged the same price?
The ofgem cap does not apply to businesses

Probably cross subsidy.

Back
Top Bottom