Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I bet all the "we should only charge so much then hammer everyone above it" are exactly the sorts who say we shouldn't need heating in the UK etc

I cant speak for others but I support it because energy (and water) are essential for survival and so I believe a base amount should be granted to every household to meet basic needs. It would be a very fair, considerate and kind social policy.

Think of it like a minimum standard of living threshold. Everyone gets this minimum standard i.e by receiving the same service for a fixed price. People who use more than this are free to do so and pay the market rate as they do now.

I could have sworn I read that the cheapest way to heat a house now assuming you buy the fuel at market rate, is to use coal.

I remember living in houses with coal as the main source of heat into the 1980s - I'd rather not go back to that...

I cant speak for others but I support it because energy (and water) are essential for survival and so I believe a base amount should be granted to every household to meet basic needs. It would be a very fair, considerate and kind social policy.

Think of it like a minimum standard of living threshold. Everyone gets this minimum standard i.e by receiving the same service for a fixed price. People who use more than this are free to do so and pay the market rate as they do now.

Seems daft to me to be honest
Should we apply the same to food, I mean thats pretty darn important.
Housing costs, I mean that also pretty important for standard of living.

Giving everyone x units cheap would for some households mean they don't really worry about efficiency.

Might be better to say take every houses annual usage and apply a 10% reduction as required. Any units used above that incur a 250% premium.
Then reduce a couple of percent per year for 5 more years. Then everyone is doing their bit.

But everyone lives in a different standard of energy efficient house and also in different climates. There will always be winners and losers for this sort of approach

Anyone had any luck transferring a fixed price electricity contract to a new address on moving?

I have two years left on my economy 7 electricity tariff (an all electric rented flat). I'm now being forced to move and have a place with gas lined up next (with a standard single rate non-smart electricity meter AFAIK).

On a moving home FAQ from my provider, it said transferring your existing contract was dependent on having a meter at the new property compatible with the tariff. This page has since disappeared as far as I can tell. On calling their customer services, I was told transfer of my contract was dependent on the new property already being supplied by them. General googling on the topic doesn't lead to much info, as just exiting a contract and picking up a new one (or going variable) was no big deal in previous years.

Anyone had any luck transferring a fixed price electricity contract to a new address on moving?

I have two years left on my economy 7 electricity tariff (an all electric rented flat). I'm now being forced to move and have a place with gas lined up next (with a standard single rate non-smart electricity meter AFAIK).

On a moving home FAQ from my provider, it said transferring your existing contract was dependent on having a meter at the new property compatible with the tariff. This page has since disappeared as far as I can tell. On calling their customer services, I was told transfer of my contract was dependent on the new property already being supplied by them. General googling on the topic doesn't lead to much info, as just exiting a contract and picking up a new one (or going variable) was no big deal in previous years.
Its down to suppliers discretion, some allow transferring, some dont. If you are on an E7 all electric tarrif and you are moving to place with gas and single rate elec then i would expect 100% to not be able to carry over the pricing. Also as the supplier said if they do allow transferring typically it would only work if the new place is alreayd with them as they wont hold the pricing while you switch especially since no-one is accept switches atm basically

I'll happily design the full policy for the Government for £100k payment. In that price I'll even scour google satellite imagery myself to categorise every UK house.
The clock is ticking so you'd better get on with it.

Quite a different use than being proposed by dan.

I don't see how your existing (Economy 7) contract could be moved to a new property when it's not set up for Economy 7.

She has zero point and is condescending ***** Does she really think people need to be told to put on a jumper if cold, Tin foil behind a radiator does jack **** apart from heat the room up quicker and does next to naff all on heat retention or does she want us to coat the walls in the stuff as well ?
she took the interview with the frivolity expected on morning reality tv -
Martin lewis presided over the energy privatisation and has made a lot of money from giving 'advice' on energy( credit etc. debt collector champion?) .... and the churn/inefficiency it gave to the energy market, making hay whilst the sun shone he has not afaik made practical suggestions on how to improve the situation

Even if people reduce their consumption this wont do anything! it's the standing charge that's why her Edwina Curry point was moot because the bill will still be over £3000 even with the gas and electric off. Also this will massively affect the economy like a domino affect pubs close, insurance is cancelled people providing insurance (brokers) loose business they have to close. so putting stupid toil foil or wearing a jumper wont do jack.
well yes its ~£20/month for sc ... I agree that vat should be removed and components of sc that are related to SOLR and volume related, offset into the unit rate

then need a tiered system, as discussed in media - like they've used in California V - but not easy to implement without smart meters -
Truss would need to kick OFGEN

feature-for-2018-california-electric-rates.jpg

But everyone lives in a different standard of energy efficient house and also in different climates. There will always be winners and losers for this sort of approach
There wouldn't be any losers though, if it was implemented now. Just some people wouldn't benefit by quite as much as others, but everyone would benefit quite a bit from getting say 12000 kWh at a fixed lower price.

On the energy efficiency argument, well were really talking about subsidising a baseline energy level here, there is still plenty of energy efficiency savings to go at for anyone using more than the baseline threshold.

she took the interview with the frivolity expected on morning reality tv -
Martin lewis presided over the energy privatisation and has made a lot of money from giving 'advice' on energy( credit etc. debt collector champion?) .... and the churn/inefficiency it gave to the energy market, making hay whilst the sun shone he has not afaik made practical suggestions on how to improve the situation

well yes its ~£20/month for sc ... I agree that vat should be removed and components of sc that are related to SOLR and volume related, offset into the unit rate

then need a tiered system, as discussed in media - like they've used in California V - but not easy to implement without smart meters -
Truss would need to kick OFGEN

feature-for-2018-california-electric-rates.jpg
Given the improvements I have seen since having my smart meter, I just cannot understand why we havent aggressively pushed them more, they should be mandatory now in my opinion, book an appointment for every house that doesnt have one.

Your ideas on the SC and tiered system I agree with, could be done without smart meters, just adds a little complication though with estimated readings and such, but could make it a requirement that to get tier 1 and tier 2 pricing you have to provide a reading every 30 days and made an effort to apply for a smart meter.

so can add America to Europe to the list of regions using this more progressive billing.

Given the improvements I have seen since having my smart meter, I just cannot understand why we havent aggressively pushed them more, they should be mandatory now in my opinion, book an appointment for every house that doesnt have one.

Your ideas on the SC and tiered system I agree with, could be done without smart meters, just adds a little complication though with estimated readings and such, but could make it a requirement that to get tier 1 and tier 2 pricing you have to provide a reading every 30 days and made an effort to apply for a smart meter.

so can add America to Europe to the list of regions using this more progressive billing.
I don’t want one thanks.

It will be mandatory eventually, was supposed to be mandatory 2 years ago but it got delayed.
I did try to get one for about a year or so, even booked a day off work for a meter visit. The guy came looked at my meter, spent a bit of time on the phone and then left. I never heard anything about it still to this day. Not a thing.

I’ll stick with my prepayment meter for as long as I can. It’s going to save me a shed load of money though all this.

Genuine question, why the reluctance for the smart meters? I don’t have one but they look useful from what I have seen.
Pricing by the hour, I don't deny fancy being shafted using electric when Its 'peak tine'.

Targeted black outs, there is nothing to gain

Back
Top Bottom