Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Yea same, just didn't want to say "yes that's what will happen" when she's not even technically PM yet. Rumors all suggest the government will help us stay on the current price cap though.

Surely the electorate aren’t that stupid. But they are the turkeys that keep voting for Christmas…

Tbh what else would Labour do? Nothing more probably from the average persons perspective.

Sure Labour wouldn't reduce tax for the wealthy. But people generally like the tories it seems. So all they have to do is copy labour's policies that are popular.

Hard to see how Labour can win. People don't like em. I don't like em.

Kicking the can down the road is a vote winner

I agree with a previous reply though, needs to be a drive to lower usage still.

How many people will try and do that when the cost is fixed here?

Fixed at October rates would certainly have people scrambling to cut usage.

Also needs to have extra generation spun up to control costs, in 18 months if wholesale rates are high still, then how long can they apply the plaster for?

Also needs to have extra generation spun up to control costs, in 18 months if wholesale rates are high still, then how long can they apply the plaster for?

This price cap, knowing that it will be 2000gbp and never any more means I won't be getting
-a heat pumpn(not keen anyway)
-solar
-eV

It just isn't incentivised. If you aren't in a long term residence its much less appealing. At this level I'd need free money for efficiency savings. Which is more debt again.

(assuming it is a 2k price cap)

The current cap is still close to double what it was 12 months ago.

I'm in 2 minds about this predicted solution. On one hand, I'd rather just "rip off the plaster" so to speak. Put up with high prices for 12-18 months and drop back down. On the other hand, if the cap is frozen at the current rates, that's an extra £100 in my pocket every month, so can't complain too much, but does mean the pain of these higher rates lasts much longer. I do realise that I'm fortunate enough to be in the position where either way is feasible for me - for many people the first option is simply not an option at all.

Of course this is on the assumption that the prices fall again over the next couple of years - if they don't then either way we're in for a bad time, as either we'll be stuck paying back these debts along with higher prices in a few years, or the debt is going to keep increasing :s

Definitely the biggest issue though, kind of make or break.

Other costs including food are up, but not by anywhere near the same degree.

How much of that is down to increased manufacturing costs because of the energy prices though? Obviously it' not everything, but definitely a contributing factor. Depending what help is given to businesses, it may also help lower food etc. prices (or at least stop them increasing so much).

Definitely the biggest issue though, kind of make or break.

Other costs including food are up, but not by anywhere near the same degree.
Capping prices on commercial users will go some way to addressing inflation elsewhere in the economy. It will probably be more effective at bringing down inflation than increasing interest rates have been!

I thought gas prices were going to fly up this week with Russia turning the tap off late on Friday. Price now is lower than the close of play on Friday.

Energy is 100% the biggest issue right now. If people can't afford their mortgages then most people can get around that somehow. Either through remortgaging, selling etc. The housing market crashing isn't a bad thing either. It needs to.

When people can't heat their home or cook there is no escape hatch. The NHS will be put under much more pressure because people will be sick more. The NHS will have illness issues with their own staff. Companies are going to go bust putting people on benefits when they can least afford it.

Its very much the main issue at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom