Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Why do all units have to cost the same?

For domestic, the first “x” number of units should be at one hard-capped, affordable rate and then everything above that at market rate.

Initial thoughts is x = some quantity at which an average household can cook, clean and heat some of their home.

If you have a larger home, swimming pool, or have invested in efficiency measures then this is accounted for.

You can’t accommodate everyone with one rule but this feels like it’d cover a majority and is clear and simple to follow and budget for. Thoughts?

Agree.
With special dispensation for people needing high use for medical equipment etc.

We must drive down fossil fuel use. And promote solar etc.

A price cap here? In that case I made the right choice not getting solar.

2500. That would be the price point I'd really start looking at it.

A price cap here? In that case I made the right choice not getting solar.
I am not sure about that.... When i got my solar i was paying 15p peak, 5.5p off peak and it still made sense with the maths i did (given i plan on staying for 10 years) and even then that is forgettng the added value it adds to the property. Wtih things as they are now Solar is an utter no brainer if you have the correct roof, but it still makes sense with cheaper energy. From a purely personal point of view it also removed my guilt for being a slightly higher than average Electricity user.

Christ, how big is it?

Ours is 2.8kW on the oven. Probably uses about 1.6kWh over an hour cycle.

It's a 15yr old Neff double oven. The seals are broken as well meaning it takes a bit longer to cook than it used to.

I'm looking to order a Ninja air oven today. It's a shame I can't pop into town now and get one but nobody has any stock other than direct from Ninja online.

I know there is a thick electric cable going direct into the mains rather than a 3pin plug.

I am not sure about that.... When i got my solar i was paying 15p peak, 5.5p off peak and it still made sense with the maths i did (given i plan on staying for 10 years) and even then that is forgettng the added value it adds to the property. Wtih things as they are now Solar is an utter no brainer if you have the correct roof, but it still makes sense with cheaper energy. From a purely personal point of view it also removed my guilt for being a slightly higher than average Electricity user.

This is the issue. No way I'm staying 10 years. Ideally less than half.

Its a hard thing to justify for anyone in a mid term situation.

If I was in a house and staying 10 years plus, yes, I agree, it's worth it as prices will be at this cap 5 years probably

I don't get why we should be paying the debt for the energy companies borrowing. That should come out of their profit over 10-20yr, not passed onto the people.

No household is paying for this through energy bills.

The SC includes a cost to recover the lost customer credit balances from the suppliers which went bust and moved to the SOLR.
Should this be coming from us - probably not, but it's needs to come from somewhere and if it wasn't through the SC charge, it would be added to another tax anyway.

Truss is considering two options, either setting a guaranteed unit price that businesses will pay, or a percentage or unit price reduction that all energy suppliers must offer firms, according to documents seen by Bloomberg. The government would agree to reimburse energy suppliers for their losses and the price of energy charged to businesses would be reviewed quarterly.

There is a risk with Governments bailing out the current gas price, that the gas price increase goes off charts - then it turns into a war of which Government can provide the most funding for who get's the gas.

No household is paying for this through energy bills.

The SC includes a cost to recover the lost customer credit balances from the suppliers which went bust and moved to the SOLR.
Should this be coming from us - probably not, but it's needs to come from somewhere and if it wasn't through the SC charge, it would be added to another tax anyway.
Oh I get it needs to come from somewhere so the government should put the freeze in and the companies take loans which are government backed and then they should take it out of profit in future rather than changes in our SC longer term.

The news and report I'd seen is we'd be hit with higher charges significantly compared to to true costs in future when it does stabilise in 2yr or whatever.

Email from Ovo today saying they're going to double my DD.....when I'm already several hundred pounds in credit....trying to switch to pay what I use....

Oh I get it needs to come from somewhere so the government should put the freeze in and the companies take loans which are government backed and then they should take it out of profit in future rather than changes in our SC longer term.

Which companies should take out loans though?! - the ones where credit balances were lost went bust and are no longer around (except Bulb).
You're basically saying Octopus and the other remaining suppliers should take out loans to pay off another companies debt. Can't imagine any suppliers volunteering to be a SOLR if that was the requirement.

Which companies should take out loans though?! - the ones where credit balances were lost went bust and are no longer around (except Bulb).
You're basically saying Octopus and the other remaining suppliers should take out loans to pay off another companies debt. Can't imagine any suppliers volunteering to be a SOLR if that was the requirement.
On the credit balances lost that always should have been covered the same way savings to £85k is where its government issue.

I was talking about these new loan requirements which clarified in my edit above.

Back
Top Bottom