Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I reckon you're talking years between visits now though, if they could commit to every few months then perhaps.
Scottish Power seem pretty good at it still. Typically see the guy every-other-month and we submit the ones in between. Not sure what other suppliers are like for sending out meter readers though.

Scottish Power seem pretty good at it still. Typically see the guy every-other-month and we submit the ones in between. Not sure what other suppliers are like for sending out meter readers though.

I had 1 meter reader from Avro the 2 years I was with them, and that was when I left them, probably they wanted to check I submitted accurate closing figures :)

I get the point you are making but the short version of my point is not screw them they’ll be fine.

It’s that applying the same relative cap (E.g. matching the same price rise on gas) to heating oil will be well above the current market price so an intervention isn’t needed as oil already below that level.

Oil has always been more significantly expensive than gas and I don’t think they government should be intervening in that market while the prices have not yet reached ludicrous levels like they have in the gas market.
Given what we are currently seeing unfold with gas and that oil is a dwindling resource which in some years time will suffer the same "shortage" issues, I feel that while it may not be *necessary* in this very moment to do something about it if you are already addressing both the other 2 sources of energy (Electricity and Gas).
It would surely make sense to lay the groundwork to do the same for oil, with the fore-thought in mind of trying to prevent the same kind of explosion in price of oil we're seeing with gas currently.

I would prefer to avert the problem before it happens, than to wait for the market to reach "ludicrous levels" when we've already had a direct example (and warning) of what will happen to oil in the coming years as supplies (globally) continue to diminish. :)

Like I said, it seems apparent to me that some level of capping / regulation is required for ALL supplies of Electricity / Heat / Cooking to both curb what is currently happening and to prevent it happening again in the future (with any of the fuels, not just oil) :)

Im sorry but what?!
People *choose* to live alone? seriously? You haven't even considered the multitudes of reasons why a person could be in the position of being single and trying to keep a property over their head. Your answer to this is "well they should just get a roommate" ?
That has to be right up there with "The poor just can't cook" and "They just need to get a second job"
You talk about how there are a lot of factors that affect peoples need for energy, yet completely ignore the HUGE swath of possible reasons why a person may be living alone.
It's both insensitive to those who may have just been recently widowed / divorced / bereaved and are now living alone and totally ignores the not insignificant number of people who are suffering with mental health problems these days who quite frankly cannot cope with living with another person.
Do you consider such a life to be "special benefit?"

Whilst I agree there are certain people who may have only just found themselves as a solo occupant, they still doesn't take away the fact it remains a choice to do so.
And whilst I agree there will be some that aren't going to be great housemates you have really managed to highlight my point all along, in that there are people who again have no choice (such as disabled, the old, or those with high energy electrical health equipment) who need more energy, and hence why an arbitrary simple cap is a very blunt tool and not at all smart in regards creating a sensible cap.

If only you had been as equally enraged for them.

Whilst I agree there are certain people who may have only just found themselves as a solo occupant, they still doesn't take away the fact it remains a choice to do so.
And whilst I agree there will be some that aren't going to be great housemates you have really managed to highlight my point all along, in that there are people who again have no choice (such as disabled, the old, or those with high energy electrical health equipment) who need more energy, and hence why an arbitrary simple cap is a very blunt tool and not at all smart in regards creating a sensible cap.

If only you had been as equally enraged for them.

Which is it then? They have a choice when they're single people whom I'm discussing. But they have no choice when they're they people you're discussing?

How does that work exactly? Because it smells very much of "1 rule for them , another for us"

You're willing to accept that some people "have no choice" when it's on your side of the argument, but when it's someone who just lost their wife of 50 years and is now left single and alone in their family home while trying to grieve their loss, that's just a choice? - Because that is quite literally what my next-door neighbor is going through right now.

*edit* Pretty sure I'm highlighting MY point, not yours there... You were the one claiming that everyone living alone is doing so "as a choice" and then went on to argue that in fact, some people do not have a choice, which is exactly what I said from the start.

I think I am going to clock out of this before it gets out of hand, dont want to go down the road where people choose to be poor etc.

But there is rumours now that apparently only average use or below units will get the subsidy and it will apply to all tariffs.

Given what we are currently seeing unfold with gas and that oil is a dwindling resource which in some years time will suffer the same "shortage" issues, I feel that while it may not be *necessary* in this very moment to do something about it if you are already addressing both the other 2 sources of energy (Electricity and Gas).
It would surely make sense to lay the groundwork to do the same for oil, with the fore-thought in mind of trying to prevent the same kind of explosion in price of oil we're seeing with gas currently.

I would prefer to avert the problem before it happens, than to wait for the market to reach "ludicrous levels" when we've already had a direct example (and warning) of what will happen to oil in the coming years as supplies (globally) continue to diminish. :)

Like I said, it seems apparent to me that some level of capping / regulation is required for ALL supplies of Electricity / Heat / Cooking to both curb what is currently happening and to prevent it happening again in the future (with any of the fuels, not just oil) :)

You’ll be long dead before you need to worry about the oil running out. The aviation sector drinks more kerosene than anyone cars to even think about.

All the cap represents is a failed energy policy, it should have never been needed in the first place. Also the cap is just a sticking plaster, it fails to address the underlying root causes. It will still bankrupt us all on the long run if it’s not addressed.

At the end of the day relying on energy markets which are fulfilled by dodgy regimes and terrorists for you energy needs is never going to be a good long term strategy, even if it’s cheap in the short term.

Which is it then? They have a choice when they're single people whom I'm discussing. But they have no choice when they're they people you're discussing?

How does that work exactly? Because it smells very much of "1 rule for them , another for us"

You're willing to accept that some people "have no choice" when it's on your side of the argument, but when it's someone who just lost their wife of 50 years and is now left single and alone in their family home while trying to grieve their loss, that's just a choice? - Because that is quite literally what my next-door neighbor is going through right now.

*edit* Pretty sure I'm highlighting MY point, not yours there... You were the one claiming that everyone living alone is doing so "as a choice" and then went on to argue that in fact, some people do not have a choice, which is exactly what I said from the start.

Im not sure whats so hard.
If your single there is always a choice to try to not have to live alone. Sure there may be reasons why thats not going to work, but you can TRY to change that situation.
The fact someone has lost a wife does not prevent the action, it just makes it highly unlikely to happen.

Can you give me an example of an old person who could choose to no longer be old, or a disabled person who could choose to no longer be disabled, or a person on eg dialysis who can choose to no longer be that ill?
Just one. Ever?

Anyway I think I agree with chrcoluk this is one thats not worth the argument.
People are too highly entwined to see clearly here.

You’ll be long dead before you need to worry about the oil running out. The aviation sector drinks more kerosene than anyone cars to even think about.

All the cap represents is a failed energy policy, it should have never been needed in the first place. Also the cap is just a sticking plaster, it fails to address the underlying root causes. It will still bankrupt us all on the long run if it’s not addressed.

At the end of the day relying on energy markets which are fulfilled by dodgy regimes and terrorists for you energy needs is never going to be a good long term strategy, even if it’s cheap in the short term.

True indeed, but I do still have concerns that go beyond my short lifespan here :) But you're spot on with regard to aviation vs heating, though aviation fuel is slightly lighter fraction I believe.
Yup I agree, Although I wouldn't say it represents a failed energy policy so much as it "highlights" it. I honestly feel at this "stage in the game" Capitalism is only looking for greed and that is a detriment to everyone and should be regulated.
If that requires a cap on energy prices to prevent the producers from making vast profits at a time of crisis or any time in the future at the expensive of the "average citizen" then I see no problem really.

I've never had a meter reader from Octopus. I don't think they have them. They just take my word for the readings.

I'd go further and nationalise energy because it's a critical national infrastructure. Having civilisation dependent every second on transnational businesses that exist solely for the purpose of funneling as much money as possible from as many people as possible to as few people as possible is a recipe for disaster. It's not just fossil fuels - "renewables" businesses have their snouts in the same trough and have even high profit margins because they can get away with it.

This "fix" is not really a fix. It's a loan that we will have to pay back, probably with interest. The system remains unchanged - from the many to a few, by design. The (probable) cap just a patch to prevent the existing system collapsing. The businesses that take the money will continue to take just as much. It's just that the government will borrow money (which the country can't really afford to borrow) in order to keep paying the few and we'll all have to pay for that loan (probably with interest, definitely will some cost) over time.

Im not sure whats so hard.
If your single there is always a choice to try to not have to live alone. Sure there may be reasons why thats not going to work, but you can TRY to change that situation.
The fact someone has lost a wife does not prevent the action, it just makes it highly unlikely to happen.

As @chrcoluk Put it....

You coming across a bit selfish now, this should be about helping those who are most struggling, and the facts are living alone is harder than living with other adults. This isnt an opinion, its confirmed by the energy companies their most vulnerable customers are single adults (its in the first WHD consultation, I can link it if you want just ask), and also in various case studies. For reference the new WHD will favour packed out houses, 88% of low income people in fully detached will get WHD, but only 7% of low income in flats will get it.

*edit*
With regard to this bit...
Can you give me an example of an old person who could choose to no longer be old, or a disabled person who could choose to no longer be disabled, or a person on eg dialysis who can choose to no longer be that ill?
Just one. Ever?

Apologies I misunderstood the meaning of your inference. I had read it to mean that "some people had no choice but to live with others, due to being old, disabled etc.." rather than their age / medical condition being the choice :) :)

I'd go further and nationalise energy because it's a critical national infrastructure. Having civilisation dependent every second on transnational businesses that exist solely for the purpose of funneling as much money as possible from as many people as possible to as few people as possible is a recipe for disaster. It's not just fossil fuels - "renewables" businesses have their snouts in the same trough and have even high profit margins because they can get away with it.

This "fix" is not really a fix. It's a loan that we will have to pay back, probably with interest. The system remains unchanged - from the many to a few, by design. The (probable) cap just a patch to prevent the existing system collapsing. The businesses that take the money will continue to take just as much. It's just that the government will borrow money (which the country can't really afford to borrow) in order to keep paying the few and we'll all have to pay for that loan (probably with interest, definitely will some cost) over time.

I am inclined to agree, or at the very least have a setup similar to france where the "Country" holds the major stake so they can (if required) basically over-rule the greed of the system. (Not sure if this would allow direct control like that however).

And yeh you're right, the fix is not really a proper solution or a real "cap" to limit the outrageous profiteering that is going on right now by the energy producers, They are still going to make their fat cash we'll just be paying for it over a longer time. This is what needs to be fundamentally addressed imo.

I've never had a meter reader from Octopus. I don't think they have them. They just take my word for the readings.

I understand most of the meter reading activity is sub-contracted, you'll get someone from a company that just whitelabels service I think.

They'll just rock up and say from X company even if they actually work for someone else, and their job is to just submit the readings back to HQ.

I think I am going to clock out of this before it gets out of hand, dont want to go down the road where people choose to be poor etc.

But there is rumours now that apparently only average use or below units will get the subsidy and it will apply to all tariffs.
To hard to implement and not worth the hassle

Right so nice question avoidance.

This package is a targeted one and we will see the details tomorrow.
Who knows what it will be, once we see it we will see if the plan is to help everyone, seeing as everyone* is feeling the impact of the COL, or just the poor.

* Bar the top couple of percent or so.

I understand most of the meter reading activity is sub-contracted, you'll get someone from a company that just whitelabels service I think.

They'll just rock up and say from X company even if they actually work for someone else, and their job is to just submit the readings back to HQ.

I haven't had anyone look at my meters for at least 5 years, not from any company. Even when I disputed a bill, all Octopus required was a photo of my gas meter.

Back
Top Bottom