Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

It's been the way of this forum for eternity, if you're looking for advice, help, and people actively trying to reduce their bills I'd suggest the MoneySaversExperts forum, specifically the Energy section, there are loads of very smart people there who'll give pretty good advice. Just make sure you give as much information as possible about what devices you use and for how long

You learn to filter out the willy wavers after a while, it's always been the same even a decade ago, there's always one person who says they have the most expensive PC in the world with no evidence and looks down upon everyone else for some reason?

I also assume that due to the demographic this forum appeals to (male, now 30+, usually with the income to buy expensive PCs, and solely due to the demographic of the UK, white) that there's so much rampant ignorance for people outside of that group, it really baffles my mind that people can think like that sometimes!

OcUK a decade ago was probably the same group but 10-15 years younger so everyone probably hadn't been battered down by real life yet, I remember it as a much more jovial and friendly place!

Good advice and thanks, will go audit my electricity usage from today ... one more reason for me to go Smart meter i suppose :)
If it wasn't for my Smart meter, I wouldn't have realized that my immersion heater for my hot water tank was using almost half my daily electric usage. Smart meters have their value

So will all energy supplies just sell at the same price since it's the unit price that's being fixed?

Those providing EV tariffs / trackers still be available?

So will all energy supplies just sell at the same price since it's the unit price that's being fixed?

Those providing EV tariffs / trackers still be available?
This is just replacing the price cap rate, with the government footing the bill for the difference between that unit cost and the purchase cost from energy generators.

Utter nonsense. There’s no reason for a windfall not to be used. We are going to be paying for this for years whilst the producers get richer.
BP have said it wouldn’t stop investment if there was a windfall tax.

@One 48 What is your current daily usage in kw/h for gas and electricity? There are two of us in this house (2 bedroom semi) and by changing all lighting to LED's and finding out how much electricity each item uses with a plug in energy monitor (a smart meter will not do this) we have got our energy usage as low as possible and are usually in the 6-12 kw/h range per day for electricity. Yesterday was a good day and we only used 5.68 kw'h for the whole day. Today will be higher as it's a washing day plus the wife is home but by making changes you can significantly reduce your usage while still living relatively comfortably. Gas for heating is another matter altogether though, especially up here as it's colder in the Winter but it's been off for several months now and I will leave it off as long as it's bearable.

What does that actually mean to the average customer?

One might argue that I am free to burn old tyres to keep warm without any problem :)

Seriously though it SHOULD mean cheaper electricity as the power generators are not going to be penalised for using none "green" procedures to produce it. However many energy producers are moaning that clean energy generation is cheaper than than "dirty".

Basically I think the energy companies all have cheesefests aplenty on their boards and whatever the government does someone will be aggrieved..

This is just replacing the price cap rate, with the government footing the bill for the difference between that unit cost and the purchase cost from energy generators.

I know what I'm saying is if the new electricity cap is at 40p (I can't be bothered working out what it'll actually be) then the default tariff that all energy suppliers will be offering will be at that unit rate for the period of the 'guarantee'.

There would be no real need to offer 'cheap' tariffs to try and get customers onboard.

And what will the unit rates/SCs be?

The most important piece of information which is as always missing. Raise your hand if your usage is "average".

Anyone?

No?

There must be someone who this is useful to, surely?!

Looks like a ~30.5% increase on April rates which suggests 38.3p electric, 9.4p gas (assuming the SC remains the same).

Back
Top Bottom