Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

going to guess at about 35p Elec and 9.2p Gas (inc vat), you'll then get £400 deducted from your bill in the first year. That's the easiest way to describe it I think.
It's still unaffordable. In March may gas was 3p and elec 15p, so in 6 months my gas has tripled and elec up almost 250%

Yeah it's never gonna go back to the good ol days.

Will start saving for solar when eventually move. Want to have the cash ready buy. Or if there are loans/grants can put it to the mortgage etc

I think its safe to assume this 2500 cap is the new norm. Will make calcing ROI on panels much easier

An interesting quirk of all of this

Now, the company with the biggest customer base will be most profitable.
There is little need to switch or not switch.

This might really benefit octopus. Because all being equal. I'd chose to be with octopus.

An interesting quirk of all of this

Now, the company with the biggest customer base will be most profitable.
There is little need to switch or not switch.

This might really benefit octopus. Because all being equal. I'd chose to be with octopus.
and ones that werent profitable will be now so rewarding failure

so if I read all this right, for someone on 80k, their tax burden changes from approximately 25% to under 20%?

That is pretty significant! Like, £4k+ a year extra in your pocket?
Everyone on £80k+ would have been paying 40% tax on the £30k between £50-80k. That would then become 20% tax on that amount. So 20% back from £30k of their earnings is £6k a year extra in pocket.

Indeed, prices are still ~7x normal and a domestic energy bill cap at £2,500 is nearly 3x normal so still plenty of pain around for everyone

But not "22% inflation end of Western economies" pain as some feared
£2500 cap now confirmed and for 2 years, with no additional help for the vulnerable.

It feels like they did what they felt was needed for middle to high earners only as that is going to be way too high for those around living wage and also the unemployed.

Octopus boss said we now all need to wait for the suppliers to know the finer details so unknown if only SVR will be capped or they going to do something for all tariffs.

Hang on...

Is the maths right? 60 million people in the UK, £2.85 billion to renationalise...

Pay £3000 in fuel costs this winter or £50 per person to renationalise UK energy?

Hmmmm, what to do.... what to do....
I have tried to explain this a few times, we get a "cannot afford to renationalise, how do you pay for it etc."

But spending 75 billion a year to subsidise bills and shareholders is fine so we can keep the current privatisation model.

I'm still confused how the money made by the wholesalers its counted as windfall profits, not straight profiteering.
Interesting I know a few people starting to get quite angry about this, my elder sister who has always been right wing, texted me about it late last night as a lot of rage about Centrica making huge profits whilst pleading poverty under british gas.

The vulnerable have already been helped with well over £1k of extras ontop of the existing traditional help open to such people.
If you think thats enough dont know what to say. More will be needed and I hope pressure gets applied.

Oct 2021 level is the affordable level for the poorest about £1300 a year, so they need about £1200-1500 a year extra help. in 2023 (taking into account other inflation as well).

Back
Top Bottom