Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Cheers... It's kinda clear as mud on that from all the different places I have looked.

If they could just have kept it simple with unit rates, instead of average use, and what additional support people are getting then it would be less confusing.

Yes they've latched onto average use because it grabs headlines, people think they'll be paying £7k per year or w/e, so I blame the tabloids for this mostly.

The way I've read it and have read in other places is that; this will create further disparity on unit cost charges depending on when you happened to fix or whether or not you're on an SVR. Talk about pigs ear and way to promote further unfairness regardless of household situation / usage.

If the rumours of it being a fixed discount on the unit rates are true, even for fixed tariffs, it will mean I'm paying 10.1p/kWh for electricity and 2.7p/kWh for gas until June, which doesn't seem right. That's before receiving the £400 as well.

If the rumours of it being a fixed discount on the unit rates are true, even for fixed tariffs, it will mean I'm paying 10.1p/kWh for electricity and 2.7p/kWh for gas until June, which doesn't seem right. That's before receiving the £400 as well.

Only for fixes above the cap surely? So even if it was a flat rate discount, the lowest anyone would pay would be around 17p electric/6p gas

Only for fixes above the cap surely? So even if it was a flat rate discount, the lowest anyone would pay would be around 17p electric/6p gas
My current fix is 38.8p/kWh electricity and 9.98p/kWh gas, so above the new rate for one but not the other, so no idea how the discount will be applied. Will wait and see what Eonnext say.

The fairest way would be to cap all unit rates regardless of tariff, but leave any that are below it, but it sounds like that would be quite an admin task to implement quickly and hence why the flat discount seems to be what's happening.

Unless I've missed it, I don't think they've announced/worked out what (if anything) they will do for heating oil? We're scraping the barrel at the moment putting off filling it, waiting to see if they're either going to apply a discount or have something we can claim back. We've made about 600l last since Feb, so which is a lot further than it would usually last.

No they will leave you on NextOnline V19 but adjust the prices in line with the cap.
I saw this in the government's plan.

If you’re on a standard variable tariff​

The average unit price for dual fuel customers paying by direct debit will be limited to 34.0p/kWh for electricity and 10.3p/kWh for gas, inclusive of VAT, from 1 October.

These unit prices have been passed to suppliers to ensure that they are used to calculate bills on time for 1 October.

Energy suppliers will adjust standard variable tariffs automatically. Customers on standard variable tariffs do not need to take any action to get the benefits of this scheme.

I also read that

If you’re on a fixed tariff​

If you’re on a fixed tariff at a higher rate caused by recent energy price rises, your unit prices will be reduced by 17p/kWh for electricity and 4.2p/kWh for gas.

These unit prices have been passed to suppliers to ensure that they are used to calculate bills on time for 1 October.

As Next Online V19 was something like electricity 60p per unit and gas 15p surely we'd be better changing to SVR as electricity will cost 34p on SVR compared to the 60-17= 43p if on a fixed tariff?

^ This is where I'm at. Online v19, which kicks in on Oct 6th. So I suspect it is a no brainer to drop to the SVR instead.
Same date mine kicks in. I'll try get hold of Eon this weekend, find out whether they intend to commit to lowering the price to 34p for electricity if signed into a fixed tariff too or whether they'll be adhering to the government's proposal. If the latter as you say I'll request to be put onto SVR on October 6th instead.

Unless I've missed it, I don't think they've announced/worked out what (if anything) they will do for heating oil? We're scraping the barrel at the moment putting off filling it, waiting to see if they're either going to apply a discount or have something we can claim back. We've made about 600l last since Feb, so which is a lot further than it would usually last.
I have been wondering this -At start of pandemic oil was around15p ltr -my last oil delivery was around 65p nearly a year ago and now it's around 95p.
Gone up from £150 for 1k ltr to £950.
I wish years ago I had asked the Gov for some seeds for a money tree.

I saw this in the government's plan.

If you’re on a standard variable tariff​

The average unit price for dual fuel customers paying by direct debit will be limited to 34.0p/kWh for electricity and 10.3p/kWh for gas, inclusive of VAT, from 1 October.

Energy suppliers will adjust standard variable tariffs automatically. Customers on standard variable tariffs do not need to take any action to get the benefits of this scheme.

I also read that

If you’re on a fixed tariff​

If you’re on a fixed tariff at a higher rate caused by recent energy price rises, your unit prices will be reduced by 17p/kWh for electricity and 4.2p/kWh for gas.

As Next Online V19 was something like electricity 60p per unit and gas 15p surely we'd be better changing to SVR as electricity will cost 34p on SVR compared to the 60-17= 43p if on a fixed tariff?
This would mean my Go rate would drop to 23p day and -9.5p night. This can’t be right?!

I don't think people should do anything with tariffs until they've seen the outcome of whatever their provider is doing.

It would appear that fixed tariff customers will have prices adjusted as well. If I was on one I would just give it a couple of weeks and see.

Surely govt should jus say, because we are effectively fixing rates, then fixed rate deals aren't needed, and everyone should default to SVR. A nominal reduction to fixed rate deals doesn't sound like a good idea to me, the wording is a bit sketchy in what was quoted above as to how it'll be applied.

I don't think people should do anything with tariffs until they've seen the outcome of whatever their provider is doing.

It would appear that fixed tariff customers will have prices adjusted as well. If I was on one I would just give it a couple of weeks and see.
Agree, but if my rates will only be adjusted by what the government state I'm better off swapping to SVR. I'll just contact and ask them, to ensure I'll be on the cheapest rate, which I only trust myself to ensure!

Back
Top Bottom