Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Surely govt should jus say, because we are effectively fixing rates, then fixed rate deals aren't needed, and everyone should default to SVR. A nominal reduction to fixed rate deals doesn't sound like a good idea to me, the wording is a bit sketchy in what was quoted above as to how it'll be applied.
Agree, seems odd to me. 52-17= 35 so maybe the government guidelines haven't accounted for those of us who signed into fixed tariffs which are higher than the next hike cap which comes into play in October

Surely govt should jus say, because we are effectively fixing rates, then fixed rate deals aren't needed, and everyone should default to SVR. A nominal reduction to fixed rate deals doesn't sound like a good idea to me, the wording is a bit sketchy in what was quoted above as to how it'll be applied.

This removes the insensitive to move to time based or smart deals that are very helpful by moving load to times when the grid is mostly green or there is excessive generation.

If they make it one flat rate all the time. EV users will just charge at any time for example and this will make things worse.

Agree, but if my rates will only be adjusted by what the government state I'm better off swapping to SVR. I'll just contact and ask them, to ensure I'll be on the cheapest rate, which I only trust myself to ensure!

You can but you may as well wait and see what your unit rates on the current will become.

If then you are better on variable you can shift pretty quickly.

Is it confirmed this will be applied to fixed rates? It would technically mean some people could be paid to use electricity at certain times if that’s the case.
I think it will, I am on a fixed rate with Scottish power and received an email from them saying that all customers were entitled to this discount from October, so I suppose it will. If you don't use as much electricity, they will credit that value to your online account

Not sure if related to whats going on but it seems I currently dont have a gas tariff now on Octopus. I get a something went wrong box where tariffs should show, and if I click on change tariff, it show's agile as current but a <null> for gas. I was checking to see gas daily tracker price, app is broken as well, and the app cant even show my balance.

My own opinion is people should hold on their tariffs and wait for statements from their supplier its only going to be a couple of weeks at most, as its not confirmed yet if the discounts will take fixes below the SVR rate however unlikely that may be.

You don't hear much about smart meters anymore. Mines never worked, just been on the phone to EDF Energy, it took 4 attempts to book a smart meter engineer and then its not a booked it's a 'wait 10 working days for a phone call' for the engineer to ring. One call to EDF and I'm no long sure humanity is gonna make it as a species. I had to just agree to that in the end as the lady on the other end of the phone had a baby to look after from he sounds of it :)

Not sure if related to whats going on but it seems I currently dont have a gas tariff now on Octopus. I get a something went wrong box where tariffs should show, and if I click on change tariff, it show's agile as current but a <null> for gas. I was checking to see gas daily tracker price, app is broken as well, and the app cant even show my balance.

My own opinion is people should hold on their tariffs and wait for statements from their supplier its only going to be a couple of weeks at most, as its not confirmed yet if the discounts will take fixes below the SVR rate however unlikely that may be.

My accounts showing the same, I'm on agile and tracker too, 35p/11p.

I saw this in the government's plan.

If you’re on a standard variable tariff​

The average unit price for dual fuel customers paying by direct debit will be limited to 34.0p/kWh for electricity and 10.3p/kWh for gas, inclusive of VAT, from 1 October.

These unit prices have been passed to suppliers to ensure that they are used to calculate bills on time for 1 October.

Energy suppliers will adjust standard variable tariffs automatically. Customers on standard variable tariffs do not need to take any action to get the benefits of this scheme.

I also read that

If you’re on a fixed tariff​

If you’re on a fixed tariff at a higher rate caused by recent energy price rises, your unit prices will be reduced by 17p/kWh for electricity and 4.2p/kWh for gas.

These unit prices have been passed to suppliers to ensure that they are used to calculate bills on time for 1 October.

As Next Online V19 was something like electricity 60p per unit and gas 15p surely we'd be better changing to SVR as electricity will cost 34p on SVR compared to the 60-17= 43p if on a fixed tariff?

So I am with Bulb paying;

Electric 29.5838p per kWh
Gas 7.3647p

Does this mean my rate will increase approx:

Electric 5p
Gas 3p

So I am with Bulb paying;

Electric 29.5838p per kWh
Gas 7.3647p

Does this mean my rate will increase approx:

Electric 5p
Gas 3p
No because you are under the new 34p rate already

It says paying a higher rate caused by recent energy price rises.

Can't see them knocking 17p off someone's unit price if they somehow got 35p a unit though who knows with this government. Maybe its just if you fixed after we found out it was going up to 54p or whatever it was going to be.

Can't see them knocking 17p off someone's unit price if they somehow got 35p a unit though who knows with this government. Maybe its just if you fixed after we found out it was going up to 54p or whatever it was going to be.
There is a vague term mentioned about the tariff been needed to be as a result of the rising prices on the government fact sheet, the problem with the 35p agile tariff is I think its quite an old one, its called agile 2018.

Also if SC is included in the maths, it is actually cheaper than the new SVR unless its very high usage.

Launched Feb 2018, the PDF document linked on the page, indicates the 35p cap was the original cap.

The 11p gas tracker was added after the April rises so is new as a result of the price rises.

HI All,

Does anyone have any idea if you can hook up any in home smart display to any smart meter?

Why I ask is that I got a smart meter many years ago. However, the in home display I have doesn't actually show current use - just the day spend (which I'm not sure is event accurate). So ideally, it would be good to switch it out with something a little more useful :)

Many thanks in advance

No they not normalising rates, you are good until the tariff expires.

It’s SVR which hasn’t increased yet as it’s not October 1st though?

It’s SVR I would assume they would increase up to the limit.

Electricity and gas standing charge will be the same from 1 October 2022 but electricity and gas prices per kWh will increase slightly.

I just found this out, damn, that's a higher hike on Gas than I would have liked. I would have preferred a penny or two higher on electric in exchange for a penny or so off Gas

I just found this out, damn, that's a higher hike on Gas than I would have liked. I would have preferred a penny or two higher on electric in exchange for a penny or so off Gas
They couldn't do that because running a gas boiler would have been (remained?) cheaper than running an electric powered heat pump. This way it's not.

We fixed ours at 35p per unit in June this year, will be very funny if they knock 17 pence a unit off it lol.

Back
Top Bottom