Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Sorry what?

If I had a credit balance with one of these companies that went bust I would have written it off, not bothered to try and chase them for it? So in this theoretical situation I lost money? I don’t see where I mentioned being accused either
Why would you let an entity you've got money held with get away with going bankrupt/keeping it? :confused: Do you opt out of bank account £75k protection as well?

Why would you let an entity you've got money held with get away with going bankrupt/keeping it? :confused: Do you opt out of bank account £75k protection as well?

Wow now you’re comparing £75k to what would likely be < £100 given the context, did you misread what I said before and decide to change the subject to cover it up or what?

Yes, the root of all efficiencies is to get an intermediary government body involved to solve a problem that doesn't exist/net outcome would be identical but cost more :cry:

I think you been brainwashed. :)

There is already similar schemes for other things and they dont cost anything near amount the money that got lost and had to be recovered for this.

Finally some good energy news.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...for-uk-to-get-25-of-energy-from-nuclear-power

Johnson announces aim for UK to get 25% of electricity from nuclear power
PM meets industry bosses to discuss new power stations, with several reactors slated for closure as energy demand rises
https://www.theguardian.com/profile/rob-davies
Boris Johnson has told nuclear industry bosses that the government wants the UK to get 25% of its electricity from nuclear power, in a move that would signal a significant shift in the country’s energy mix.

Johnson on Monday met executives from major nuclear utilities and technology companies including the UK’s Rolls-Royce, France’s EDF, and the US’s Westinghouse and Bechtel to discuss ways of helping to speed up the development of new nuclear power stations.

If it happens we'll have the same percentage of nuclear power in 2050 as we had in the late 1990s. That's progress...
I like how he goes to a bunch of foreign companies as well...

should go straight to rolls royce they already submitted applications for 2 test sites... approve them and they can feed into the grid once they are up and running

People talking about the price cap being for "muppets" or mugs or whatever. Some people are stuck on the variable rate ( which rarely if ever differs from supplier to supplier) - private or council tenants stuck with certain complex meters for example, so the cap helps them.
Policies are made for the lowest common denominator.

Rollys royce don't have the technology today - it's the same game aa the Australian submarine refit, where boris made lots of noise about uk prowess but (modular) reactors are from usa (westinghouse ?)

rolls royce will have enough problems getting the titanium for aircraft engines with russia offline, too.

Rollys royce don't have the technology today - it's the same game aa the Australian submarine refit, where boris made lots of noise about uk prowess but (modular) reactors are from usa (westinghouse ?)

rolls royce will have enough problems getting the titanium for aircraft engines with russia offline, too.

Rolls Royce don't have what technology today?

If it happens we'll have the same percentage of nuclear power in 2050 as we had in the late 1990s. That's progress...

I agree that it's not enough, I would like to see nuclear completely replace natural gas and biomass which would mean 35-40%.

However in 2050 we will be producing much more power than in the 90's so that 25% is a much bigger nuclear capacity.

Rolls Royce don't have what technology today?
I think he means the modular reactors.
AFAIK RR's units haven't finished full certification which could take several years.
EDF on the other hand have a bunch of reactors of a certified design and a very experienced and streamlined construction & upgrade team, so the they'd basically be able to start building as soon as planning permission and financing is sorted.

RR's design is from what I understand faster to build but could be delayed for ages, so the sensible thing is to fast track the design that is ready then once the RR units are confirmed use them to for additional plants (basically use the EDF ones for example to replace some of the coal/gas/oil plants and the nuclear ones, then the RR ones to replace more of the coal/oil/gas ones).

It's insane that we've known the expected shut down dates for all the power stations for decades, yet because of none of our wonderful politicians wanting to do something that will be unpopular in the short term (or for that matter understanding the concept of inflation or forward planning) they've dithered over it until we've hit the point where it's basically too late to avoid problems even without things like Russia invading Ukraine affecting oil/gas pricing.

Given the ICE deadline is a mere 8 years away (not including hybrids), they'll need to get a move on.

It also makes me wonder if the off-peak charging times will no longer be actually off-peak as everyone's cars start charging at the same time :cry: (I'm being sarcastic)

AFAIK RR's units haven't finished full certification which could take several years.
EDF on the other hand have a bunch of reactors of a certified design and a very experienced and streamlined construction & upgrade team, so the they'd basically be able to start building as soon as planning permission and financing is sorted.

RR's design is from what I understand faster to build but could be delayed for ages, so the sensible thing is to fast track the design that is ready then once the RR units are confirmed use them to for additional plants (basically use the EDF ones for example to replace some of the coal/gas/oil plants and the nuclear ones, then the RR ones to replace more of the coal/oil/gas ones).

It's insane that we've known the expected shut down dates for all the power stations for decades, yet because of none of our wonderful politicians wanting to do something that will be unpopular in the short term (or for that matter understanding the concept of inflation or forward planning) they've dithered over it until we've hit the point where it's basically too late to avoid problems even without things like Russia invading Ukraine affecting oil/gas pricing.

RR already submitted designs but they are competing with Bechtel for the same sites
https://www.newcivilengineer.com/la...designs-for-wylfa-and-trawsfynydd-10-03-2022/

UK gov never backs UK business and we still need a trade deal with USA so we know who will get the sites.

doesn't matter what's in our best interest as usual

RR SMR design is with the ONR, it could be quicker to approve as my understanding is the reactor design is not dissimilar to those already approved for use in other applications.

Any EDF design (SMR) would need to go through the ONR and a UK design / approval review so would likely take longer.

Any full scale nuclear plant would take significant time to approve / fund / build, RR is planning to have the first SMR online early 2030's (which will be significantly ahead of any new build full size reactor), with additional SMR construction accelerating from that point.

The main thing about using a RR design SMR is we in the UK control the critical building of the pressure vessels.

But yes this should have been sorted out long ago, it is quite frankly criminal the direction our energy grid was going, people do not understand base load and importance of base generation irrespective of the weather.

RR already submitted designs but they are competing with Bechtel for the same sites
https://www.newcivilengineer.com/la...designs-for-wylfa-and-trawsfynydd-10-03-2022/

UK gov never backs UK business and we still need a trade deal with USA so we know who will get the sites.

doesn't matter what's in our best interest as usual

It is illogical to single source anything, particularly on projects this large, irrespective of the lack of cost competition, one design could have a common mode failure which could risk either current or future generation.

Last edited:
It is illogical to single source anything, particularly on projects this large, irrespective of the lack of cost competition, one design could have a common mode failure which could risk either current or future generation.
seems sizewell C is earmarked for a larger reactor though so it wouldn't be single source

What technology is it that RR is lacking? The entire UK nuclear submarine fleet is powered by RR reactors.

As for the titanium situation RR was already working on alternate supply lines before the current Russia / Ukraine situation started. All other companies that use titanium will also have the same supply issues as well, other than those based in China or Japan.

People talking about the price cap being for "muppets" or mugs or whatever. Some people are stuck on the variable rate ( which rarely if ever differs from supplier to supplier) - private or council tenants stuck with certain complex meters for example, so the cap helps them.

I’m on the variable rate as last time I looked the unit rates and standing charges for Scottish Power were exactly the same on the “deals” versus the standard variable tariff. Also if I sign up for a “deal” now they want me to fix at £212/month versus the £57/month I’m currently paying. :cry::cry:

Back
Top Bottom