Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

.. pay for your energy in arrears rather than have a fixed direct debit that ended up building up large credit balances?

Well you can do that but I suspect in future its going to come at an increased cost.
I currently that with mine since I got setup as a cash/cheque customer on being moved. It costs more per unit and standing charge.

As I said some people (not all granted) prefer the equalisation. There are plenty of people who prefer to pay their car insurance, TV licence etc etc monthly to spread the impact.

What technology is it that RR is lacking? The entire UK nuclear submarine fleet is powered by RR reactors.

As for the titanium situation RR was already working on alternate supply lines before the current Russia / Ukraine situation started. All other companies that use titanium will also have the same supply issues as well, other than those based in China or Japan.

as commented RR design, that only had meagre funding till this year, has not undergone auhthorisation ... on the other hand GE contract in USA
https://www.powermag.com/darlington...r-as-ge-hitachi-bags-lucrative-opg-selection/ still 2028
they/RR don't have a modern design for subs https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/29/world/australia/nuclear-powered-submarines.html

-----------

Looks like us brits could divert some alcohol spending , or restaurant/hotel expenditure into energy

51954355881_a15b9804c5_c_d.jpg

In some cases, items are dropped reflecting decreasing expenditure, such as dougnuts where research and anecdotal evidence from retailers has indicated that sales have fallen, potentially because of the rise in homeworking. Most individual cakes, which is what the "dougnut" item represents, are sold in multipacks, and a separate multipack cake item remains in the basket.

Hmm 16% to 25% seems very under ambitious. :( Its better than nothing for sure, but I think the target should be much higher, at least 50%.

Also they should bring the plan back to use the tidal flow for power as well.

.. pay for your energy in arrears rather than have a fixed direct debit that ended up building up large credit balances?

+1

Ok, Octopus have just informed me that they recommend increasing my current DD from £97.80 a month to £226.18 a month.

Christ.

Ok, Octopus have just informed me that they recommend increasing my current DD from £97.80 a month to £226.18 a month.

Christ.
Just switch to a monthly whole amount direct debit instead (you have to call them), they are quoting for a years figure including winter usage (that you will inevitable try to cut back on anyway). Prices are still stupid but at least you are not being fleeced as badly during the summer.

Last edited:

Christ.

Ours is going to be set at £176.36...thought I'd look at new tariff on their website, cheapest is £259.90 per month...wtf; is this what ours will likely be come April?
(currently on Flexible Avro).

Flexible Avro
Unit rates
Electricity: 20.40p per kWh

Gas: 4.00p per kWh

Standing charges
Electricity: 25.08p per day

Gas: 26.11p per day

Current annual amount: £1,325.53

Gas is tripling and Electricity doubling in the new quote...

Ours is going to be set at £176.36...thought I'd look at new tariff on their website, cheapest is £259.90 per month...wtf; is this what ours will likely be come April?
(currently on Flexible Avro).

Flexible Avro
Unit rates
Electricity: 20.40p per kWh

Gas: 4.00p per kWh

Standing charges
Electricity: 25.08p per day

Gas: 26.11p per day

Current annual amount: £1,325.53

Gas is tripling and Electricity doubling in the new quote...

Your supplier should have already emailed you with unit rate/standing charges that will come into effect from April on variable tariffs. The fixed one you will be seeing should be more expensive than the cap (variable)

Your supplier should have already emailed you with unit rate/standing charges that will come into effect from April on variable tariffs. The fixed one you will be seeing should be more expensive than the cap (variable)

Cheers just found it:

Electricity
Now To Yearly increase
£624.51 £902.38 £277.87

Gas
Now To Yearly increase
£701.23 £1214.16 £512.93

Dayum, son. Electric up by 40% or so, gas by about 75%...

Electric will be 27.8565 per unit and 47.859p standing
Gas will be 7.3605p per unit and 27.216p standing

No idea if it's cheaper elsewhere, will have to have a butchers.
October increase will be fun...

Cheers just found it:

Electricity
Now To Yearly increase
£624.51 £902.38 £277.87

Gas
Now To Yearly increase
£701.23 £1214.16 £512.93

Dayum, son. Electric up by 40% or so, gas by about 75%...

Electric will be 27.8565 per unit and 47.859p standing
Gas will be 7.3605p per unit and 27.216p standing

No idea if it's cheaper elsewhere, will have to have a butchers.
October increase will be fun...
Those tariff rates are the same as price cap rates, the same for everyone.

Those tariff rates are the same as price cap rates, the same for everyone.
yea prepayment meters aren't a rip off for once in a life time, but only because everyone is getting ripped off.

I'm getting rid of my prepayment meter, already talking to Eon about it.

I know if prices go back down prepayment won't go down as much, it's always been about 20% higher than normal tarrifs

Don't understand how people are building up such large credits, I'm with OVO and I adjust my direct debit as I feel is appropriate, are other energy companies forcing people to use high direct debits against their will?

Don't understand how people are building up such large credits, I'm with OVO and I adjust my direct debit as I feel is appropriate, are other energy companies forcing people to use high direct debits against their will?
I work for one of the energy companies and yes you are spot on, for the most part those who are on monthly DD have it set too high from what I've seen day to day. I always try to persuade people to do a monthly whole amount DD instead if its suits there lifestyle. Then again most people are on Standard Variable (not an issue anymore with the price increases) and have no interest in DD as its "the way they have done it for years" many people still go down the post office to pay the bill.

From what I can observe its business practice to increase cashflow, credit balances adds money they can use for cashflow.

When I decreased my DD it was automatically increased again.

Will see what happens with a smart meter.

From what I can observe its business practice to increase cashflow, credit balances adds money they can use for cashflow.

When I decreased my DD it was automatically increased again.

Will see what happens with a smart meter.
Ask for variable payments problem solved.

Hmm 16% to 25% seems very under ambitious. :( Its better than nothing for sure, but I think the target should be much higher, at least 50%.

50% would be a worthy target and underpin storage on an achieveable level for decentralised battery technology or centrallised hydrogen.

We really should be looking to fast track a domestically developed molten salt design and extend our fossil fuels as a stop gap. Building more expensive PWR's is a mistake.

Yeah I forgot about that, someone already mentioned some weeks back to me. I will do, thanks.
Its called whole amount direct debit for reference, you have to call them to change as the energy company's don't want you on it (its not advertised at all). Can be done on a monthly or quarterly basis (pay your exact bill by DD)

Its called whole amount direct debit for reference, you have to call them to change as the energy company's don't want you on it (its not advertised at all). Can be done on a monthly or quarterly basis (pay your exact bill by DD)

Given I had a credit balance at almost 1k at one point, I know why they dont want people on it. :)

Back
Top Bottom