Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Troll or grumpy old man

Consoles on rest mode use a fair bit of electric, don't even need it on the new ones as they boot up so quick from full shutdown. The amount of heat a Sky Q box gives off is just crazy, I measured the draw on mine before we got rid and it was around a constant 30w, bit higher when using multiroom.
I've got a set of Soundblaster T20 speakers, and the transformer that plugs in to them is nigh-on hot to the touch. I keep meaning to get that on a smart plug setup.

averaging 3kw a day currently..

4 solar panels on a shed
LED lights
30min run times for washing machine
dishwasher on eco mode
LED TV and computer monitors
turn things off at the wall at night
got rid of house phone

probably more microwave meals and slow cooker which uses less than half of a fan oven.

Through the winter we'll probably heat the living room and that's it.

4 solar panels on a shed
LED lights
dishwasher on eco mode
got rid of house phone

probably more microwave meals and slow cooker which uses less than half of a fan oven.

Even a boil wash?

4 solar panels on a shed
LED lights
dishwasher on eco mode
got rid of house phone

How much electricity does your 4 solar panels on your shed produce? Could that run a gaming pc for example? or not really?

With monitor off and system idle my PC uses 86w (c-states off fixed voltage 1.25v).
Monitor on and using desktop, browser etc., about 110w, 150w if watching video stream.
In game anywhere from about 180w up to about 300w. Depending on profile used in afterburner, and game been played. This is on undervolted 3080.

This is an IT forum so my guess is his GPU alone uses more than that! I'd say the PC is about 600w or so!

My 5950x and 6900xt whilst gaming with monitor uses about 400watt. However I've started locking games to 60fps for most part and turning a few settings down to drop another 50-80watt off that now.

That is figure from wall by way rather than PC itself.

Edit: to note that the monitor is 60w. Claim above that their monitor is only using 24watt...yeah okay.

My 5950x and 6900xt whilst gaming with monitor uses about 400watt. However I've started locking games to 60fps for most part and turning a few settings down to drop another 50-80watt off that now.

That is figure from wall by way rather than PC itself.

Edit: to note that the monitor is 60w. Claim above that their monitor is only using 24watt...yeah okay.
My monitor (28" 4K 144Hz) only uses 27w when I measured it with a power meter plug, 24w sounds about right. Whilst gaming with my 5950x I saved around 50w by setting the max processor state to 99% which limits the clock speed to 3.3Ghz, which is still more than enough to run games at 120fps+. I made batch files to quickly switch between 99% and 100%. Also saved around 80w and got a small performance boost by undervolting my 3070 Ti.

My monitor (28" 4K 144Hz) only uses 27w when I measured it with a power meter plug, 24w sounds about right. Whilst gaming with my 5950x I saved around 50w by setting the max processor state to 99% which limits the clock speed to 3.3Ghz, which is still more than enough to run games at 120fps+. I made batch files to quickly switch between 99% and 100%. Also saved around 80w and got a small performance boost by undervolting my 3070 Ti.

I'm surprised they reading that low. My 34" 1440p 144Hz pulls 60w. But fair enough. I've never had a monitor that pulls less than that.

My 5950x just left on PBO doesn't use more than 60w anyways when gaming on anything tbh and the 6900xt pulls max 255w until I undervolted it etc. Performance been no different.

Same, I've got a 25" which is about 20W and a 27" about 24W when calibrated to the right brightness setting. Haven't seen 60W since the CRT days.

When I dry myself I'd normally come out the shower clean, so I don't quite know why I'd need to boil my towels?

Unless you mean dish cloths? but again we clean those regularly unlike a lot of students who leave them to the point of going hard and smelly, eww.

4 solar panels on a shed
LED lights
dishwasher on eco mode

got rid of house phone

the myth that using a dishwasher is superior V basically people don't know how to hand-wash ,
equally not sure what coton clothing is effectively cleaned in a 30minutes cycle that represent a max of 10minutes actually being sudded.

https://www.comparethemarket.com/energy/content/how-much-does-a-dishwasher-use/
You’ll be pleased to learn that studies have shown that a dishwasher is indeed more energy-efficient than washing dishes by hand. However, it’s a grey area, as it depends on how you hand-wash your dishes.

For example, some people use the tap to pre or post-rinse dishes. Some leave the tap running non-stop and others opt to fill the sink and leave the rinsing. Then there’s washing-up bowls. Some fill the bowl right to the top, whereas others use a lot less water.

On average, the majority of modern dishwashers use 11-13 litres of water per cycle. Hand-washing, on the other hand, can call for up to nine times that amount.
Is it cheaper to use a dishwasher?
This, again, depends on your dish washing habits. As long as you only run your dishwasher once it’s fully loaded, it should cost you less than hand-washing.

Research has shown that a single dishwasher cycle costs the same in energy and water as turning the hot water tap on for six to nine minutes, or filling up four to six washing-up bowls (depending on whether the household has a metered or unmetered water supply).

the myth that using a dishwasher is superior V basically people don't know how to hand-wash ,
equally not sure what coton clothing is effectively cleaned in a 30minutes cycle that represent a max of 10minutes actually being sudded.

https://www.comparethemarket.com/energy/content/how-much-does-a-dishwasher-use/
Your own quote suggests its negligible regarding the dishwasher, hardly worth bringing up, same regarding washing machine times, the point is to use it as efficiently as possible..

The manufacturer hasn't build in time slots that don't wash clothes, that would be absurd.

Convenience of a dishwasher far outweighs the electric cost.

Don't think washing machine manufacturers recommend running the ultra short cycles all the time, needs a longer hot wash occasionally to help clear out leftover detergent. Starts to smell if you let it build up

Back
Top Bottom