Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I know it's the guardian. But your joking right that's just common sense
It is common sense but for example for sky. How can you pre record stuff if you turn off your device from the mains?

Tbh my family from Philippines always turned everything off from the mains. Nothing was left on standby and if I accidentally left it. I'd get a telling off.

Electricity in the Philippines was on crazy levels.

We filled up at £1,57.7 per litre at Morrisons, Stockton Heath, cheapest for a week or two. But as the car is a Fiat 500, it does not take much fuel anyway. Morrisons have reduced their prices on the night of the announcement but it appears selectively as Nantwich was 8p dearer.

5p off a litre is a joke given the volatility of the prices just now. 20p a litre would have been more helpful and a better indicator of whether the government actually care or not.

5p off a litre is a joke given the volatility of the prices just now. 20p a litre would have been more helpful and a better indicator of whether the government actually care or not.
Governments expected tax income is being battered all over the park since Covid and the Russian war. I expect a further small increment if it is deemed possible however that will not solve the volatility of fuel pricing and could easily be incorporated by the fuel companies not passing it to the end consumer.
Actions to reduce price volatility is what is necessary, not tax giveaways to big oil.

Governments expected tax income is being battered all over the park since Covid and the Russian war. I expect a further small increment if it is deemed possible however that will not solve the volatility of fuel pricing and could easily be incorporated by the fuel companies not passing it to the end consumer.
Actions to reduce price volatility is what is necessary, not tax giveaways to big oil.
To be blunt, I don't give a **** about decreased tax revenues given the literal billions this government have wasted. I consider myself fortunate in that I can afford to ride out this storm, there are millions however who are going to be in real trouble over the next few years. A 5p cut in fuel duty and the paltry measures to help with energy bills just aren't enough.

To be blunt, I don't give a **** about decreased tax revenues given the literal billions this government have wasted. I consider myself fortunate in that I can afford to ride out this storm, there are millions however who are going to be in real trouble over the next few years. A 5p cut in fuel duty and the paltry measures to help with energy bills just aren't enough.
Again my point being, will it reach the consumer any time soon?

Some billions are wasted, not all spending is good. However that is a perennial problem. Expected tax receipts should be maintained and again not wasted on non enforceable giveaways to the oil industry.

A few, mainly supermarkets are reducing pump prices, many outlets are not and adding 6p to their profit in the short medium term. Nobody will be going around telling them not to do this but hopefully consumer actions might.

They’re expecting a few billion shortfall from cars over the next few years as the demand for electric cars has gone through the roof. We aren’t going to see prices come down any time soon so it’s to be expected.

Why pull the chargers out? If its turned off that's enough or am I missing something?
because they use a few pence a year still and news papers have to write something to fill in all the crap, then people read it and parrot it around the world

watch out your headphones could be using a few watts unplug them when your not listening to anything

And there are a few things we don’t turn off from the plug such as maybe a rasperri pi server that is always on to manage many smart IOC stuff?

What about CCTV cameras or alarms? Cant turn those off when u go to sleep/away from home…

Indeed - I turn off the stuff that doesn't need to be on, like a TV, or hifi, chargers that aren't being used, monitors basically stuff that's needed on standby.

CCTV and internet are the only things that stay on really. However I realise that it's not that feasible for everyone - especially now "smart homes" are more prevalent, how can your home be smart if all your devices are physically switched off. Even a smart plug draws a little, but perhaps it's more efficient having a smart plug on standby than the device on standby?

Indeed - I turn off the stuff that doesn't need to be on, like a TV, or hifi, chargers that aren't being used, monitors basically stuff that's needed on standby.

CCTV and internet are the only things that stay on really. However I realise that it's not that feasible for everyone - especially now "smart homes" are more prevalent, how can your home be smart if all your devices are physically switched off. Even a smart plug draws a little, but perhaps it's more efficient having a smart plug on standby than the device on standby?

Quite often for power saving a smart plug isn't worth it unless you have a particularly high single standby load or put many devices on a single smart plug. For instance, my Dell U2414H has a standby usage of less than 0.5w, my TV (LG 55UJ750V) has a standby of 0.5W. Smart plugs tend to be in the 1-2W range

As an example my home office work setup has a laptop, docking station, samsung phone charger, and 2 LG monitors. The standby usage is so small (1-2W) that its at the limits of the accuracy of my meter and a smart plug power usage would be about the same as the equipment standby. In a lot of cases i think the best course of action for people to really save money is to design their power boards/plug access appropriately and just physically switch it off. Its probably more useful in situations where access isn't easy and you have say a large 10w parasitic load (eg i have a UK to US none switch mode transformer that uses 10w with nothing plugged in). At April prices you can expect it will take around a year for ROI on a £20 smart meter saving around 8-10w electric 24/7 for the entire time (which depends on how often you use the appliance)

Quite often for power saving a smart plug isn't worth it unless you have a particularly high single standby load or put many devices on a single smart plug. For instance, my Dell U2414H has a standby usage of less than 0.5w, my TV (LG 55UJ750V) has a standby of 0.5W. Smart plugs tend to be in the 1-2W range

As an example my home office work setup has a laptop, docking station, samsung phone charger, and 2 LG monitors. The standby usage is so small (1-2W) that its at the limits of the accuracy of my meter and a smart plug power usage would be about the same as the equipment standby. In a lot of cases i think the best course of action for people to really save money is to design their power boards/plug access appropriately and just physically switch it off. Its probably more useful in situations where access isn't easy and you have say a large 10w parasitic load (eg i have a UK to US none switch mode transformer that uses 10w with nothing plugged in). At April prices you can expect it will take around a year for ROI on a £20 smart meter saving around 8-10w electric 24/7 for the entire time (which depends on how often you use the appliance)

Indeed, and good explanation. This is why smart homes whilst both a great bit of fun, and useful, maybe aren't all that smart when it comes to energy! I appreciate we're talking about small ££ over a year, but it all does add up. I think it's important to be more mindful on the natural resources we use.

My IT hardware (I don't have a lot, data storage and media server) automatically shuts down at night time, and comes on in the morning. However things like google nest/home stays on as it helps with our morning routines and it's just useful to have on.

However everything else is powered off - though still plugged in various UPSes around the house so perhaps it's all a bit pointless switching them off? I don't want to virtue signal, I just want to waste less!

Just had an email from Vodafone for my £20 broadband going up by £1.86

Terms & Conditions:

*Monthly price will increase each April by the Consumer Price Index rate of inflation published in January that year, plus an additional 3.9%. First price increase in April 2023 if you purchase a new plan before your April bill.

3.9% additional for other "investment" reasons. I only started my contract with them last month. The subscription service costs really are just effin cack, i'd happily pay the £480 up front for the 2yrs which in turn saves almost £50!

Just had an email from Vodafone for my £20 broadband going up by £1.86

3.9% additional for other "investment" reasons. I only started my contract with them last month. The subscription service costs really are just effin cack, i'd happily pay the £480 up front for the 2yrs which in turn saves almost £50!

Price increase also gives you the option to cancel the contract, if you give them a ring and say you signed up to the agreed price last month they may knock it off.

Back
Top Bottom