Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Cost will be a part of it at some point, ultimately its going to get more expensive over time.

If something needs 9 KwH to do the same as something needing 2 KwH which is cheaper?

Maybe cost would be at some point but its not right now.

Plus I suspect your taking some extreme case here, heating a house requires a lot of energy. I'm using 50 or so KWH of gas right now and even taking efficiency into account thats probably putting 40+ into my house.
Adding that via electric would likely be more efficient but its already seen a load of the efficiency impact taken elsewhere hence the higher price.

It was even on the news today, despite GFCH being cheaper if you need to heat up a local space its often cheaper to boost it with electric fan heater or similar as whilst they are considerably more expensive for larger volumes of heating they can be effectively efficient in some smaller cases.
Part of the issue with GFCH is its be design designed to take a lot of energy and release a lot of energy, so you need to use a decent amount just to get the system up and having an effect.

Yeah but you may need much more KwH to provide heating than electric, thats the bit people are ignoring.

I did some sums last week, for my boiler e.g. and discovered in my circumstance a 2000 watt portable heater is cheaper than using my boiler to heat my room.

Once move on to heat pumps it becomes clearly in favour.

For gas to break even in my circumstance it needs to be no more than about 23% of the cost of electric, currently its about 34%.

Once all the unlinking of energy costs kick in, more renewables come online etc, the gap will close even more on unit costs. There is a reason gas boilers are been phased out.

No they're not, but I think you're not talking about a consistent thing like everyone else is. Most people are talking about heating their house not just 1 room of the house.

If your whole house was 1 room, then the gas CH would be cheaper to run as a direct comparison.

If you just want to heat a single room, then electric fan or similar will probably do a better job at localising the heat, but the rest of your house will go cold.

Personally I would background heat the whole house to a reasonable level with gas CH and then use electric heater for local area if I wanted a boost in one area.

Heating set to 18c, dehumidifier been on 24/7 for about a week. Still get condensation on the very bottom of the windows about an inch along the bottom, driving me insane.

Are you venting with open windows sometimes?

Condensation will be to do with humidity, maybe get a humidity sensor as well.
I have a dehumidifier so venting would be pointless. Room is currently 56% @ 19c.
Venting plus heating also seems pointless. Heating on but have all the windows open.

Last edited:
I have a dehumidifier so venting would be pointless. Room is currently 56% @ 19c.
Venting plus heating also seems pointless. Heating on but have all the windows open.

I may grab one myself soon I don't have anything that can measure humidity, but it's a new build I think I've only seen a tiny bit of mould once in about 3 years near a window that was behind a curtain/blind and hadn't been ventilated properly in a while.

Agree venting + heating is pointless, but if you never open the windows it will never ventilate properly, just got to ventilate a bit then heat afterwards.

We had same problem 1st my wife got some plants to put on the windowsill and we are now sleeping with doors open all night and its better. During a day we have small vent open.

Last edited:
Some might find this video useful. It provides information to help and understand RH (relative humidity) in the home and how it may be possible to deal with condensation, to a point...

Last edited:
question is why men pay attention to heating and moan about women being fast and loose.

Thought the female of the species meant to be the more careful ones

Last edited:
typical body fat levels seem to be curiously evolutionary contradictory with women feeling cold more - bed socks great things.

house just gets stuffy if you have zero daily ventilation, that's what MVHR are all about swap the air keeping the heat.

Part of the issue with GFCH is its be design designed to take a lot of energy and release a lot of energy, so you need to use a decent amount just to get the system up and having an effect
as I read UK bucks the worldwide trend, with it's poorly insulated housing stock,
Air to air (ATA) units comprise the bulk of the global market. Conversely, almost all heat pumps sold in the UK are hydronic. This is driven by several factors. The UK housing stock is poorly insulated compared to countries with similar climates and as ATA heat pumps require a warm air circulation system to distribute heat they are less effective in poorly insulated houses

not sure if air ducted is intrinsically more efficient and localiseable, friend in Kettering had air ducted in the 1990's

Heating set to 18c, dehumidifier been on 24/7 for about a week. Still get condensation on the very bottom of the windows about an inch along the bottom, driving me insane.

I think you're expecting too much..

At current outside temps, unless you get humidity down to really low levels, you will still get condensation on the windows especially bedrooms where people sleep.

Humans put out quite a bit of moisture overnight and the windows will be pretty cold just now with external temps being extremely low bringing the moist air to its dew point at the glass.

Back
Top Bottom