Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Just explained to the missus that if she's too hot, turning the heating off rather than turning the radiator off at the TRV is much cheaper :D
1 hour later, she's still sat thinking about this.

confused-lady-math-lady.gif

I was feeling cold today when house dropped down to 9.5c in the living room/kitchen. The office was about 12c and just slightly cold fingers but I think I might just close the office door and try the electric panel heater just to give that room a boost and keep warm for the days working from home.

Going to try and sleep with the bedroom window slightly open tonight as the condensation is getting annoying. Hopefully I won't freeze.
lol that could work if you have enough blankets I guess. There are ways to remove the moisture from the air and it will improve the ease of heating apparently, it becomes more efficient, though I have not tested that.

I ran a borrowed large dehumidifier, it came back full bucket with 10 litres of water just from its magical machinations.

I think there is postage of like a fiver for this site but I was browsing the various choices and this was one of the cheapest valid long term known brands available, apparently. Just mentioning as it could be useful, I dont know wowcher as a customer personally. Otherwise B&Q, Argos, Asda and Amazon were the others places with similar choices check stock. 16c for the thermostat is most sensible vs costs but not the most comfortable

Last edited:
Heating was on quite a lot today but still felt cold. Bumped one room up to 22c

Its times like this I love my plasma TV.

Really need to sort out some energy savings before my cheap electricity fix ends. It's a concern how many KWh of gas I'm using. It's saving a shocking amount of money at the moment

Last edited:
I think you're expecting too much..

At current outside temps, unless you get humidity down to really low levels, you will still get condensation on the windows especially bedrooms where people sleep.

Humans put out quite a bit of moisture overnight and the windows will be pretty cold just now with external temps being extremely low bringing the moist air to its dew point at the glass.
Maybe I am, so it's normal to have a bit on the windows. I expected more from brand new double glazing.

Maybe I am, so it's normal to have a bit on the windows. I expected more from brand new double glazing.

Brand new double glazing is good but not magic.

You/partner have been in the nice warm bedroom for around 7-8 hours breathing out moisture all night which evaporates into the warm air. This moist warm air travels to the window which, given the temps outside, will be below the dew point of the nice moist, warm air causing it to be unable to hold the moisture in vapour form and so depositing it as water onto the cold glass.

You'd likely need to get the humidity down to uncomfortably dry levels to prevent it.... Just wipe the windows each morning and that should be enough.

Last edited:
Hint: window vacs, like dyson stuff are much cheaper on their recon'd sites

... the dam expensive butter is too hard to spread on the breakfast toast

I use a karcher window vacuum mostly for after showers in the bathroom for the walls and window but it's great for other condensation too. think I got it in a sale for around £30.

Reactions: fez
A good way to segregate open plan areas in order to retain heat are thermal curtains. I purchased this along with a extendable pole, which arrived and seemed somewhat lightweight has surprised me how well it actually works. I have an open plan Kitchen (with flat roof) / lounge and this flimsy ceiling to floor curtain manages to do its job. There is a 5 degree difference on either side of the curtain.

Hint: window vacs, like dyson stuff are much cheaper on their recon'd sites

... the dam expensive butter is too hard to spread on the breakfast toast

Yeah, they can usually be found for about £30. We've had ours for years without issue. Money well spent for the winter months. I think we got it when we lived in a flat with electric heaters and damp issues and it would take a few hundred ml off the windows each morning. Only took 2 minutes to do the whole place as well. Marvellous things.

Back
Top Bottom