Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

In day gas prices are currently still 6 - 10 times the cost of the historic average. So currently 400p/therm against an average excluding Covid or 40p-60p/therm for most of the 00's and 10's.

Heating was on quite a lot today but still felt cold. Bumped one room up to 22c

Its times like this I love my plasma TV.

I'm pretty surprised at how poor my new build is. I got home at 7pm yesterday and the living room was 15.5c, wacked on the heating for a full 3 hrs and it only went up to 19.5c, I had it set up 21 but never reached it. Two medium sized raditors as well in the room. 19c is fine I didn't feel cold but not particularly cozy either.

I'm pretty surprised at how poor my new build is. I got home at 7pm yesterday and the living room was 15.5c, wacked on the heating for a full 3 hrs and it only went up to 19.5c, I had it set up 21 but never reached it. Two medium sized raditors as well in the room. 19c is fine I didn't feel cold but not particularly cozy either.

That's bad, our old WW2 era house with it's 1984 back boiler holds the heat, it'll hit 25c in about 30 mins of firing the thing up. Costs a fortune whilst it's on though.

Yeah but you may need much more KwH to provide heating than electric, thats the bit people are ignoring.

I did some sums last week, for my boiler e.g. and discovered in my circumstance a 2000 watt portable heater is cheaper than using my boiler to heat my room.

Once move on to heat pumps it becomes clearly in favour.

For gas to break even in my circumstance it needs to be no more than about 23% of the cost of electric, currently its about 34%.

Once all the unlinking of energy costs kick in, more renewables come online etc, the gap will close even more on unit costs. There is a reason gas boilers are been phased out.

No :(

A kWh is a kWh regardless of the source. If you had just the boiler and a single radiator in your room, then it would provide the same heat as that 2kW electric heater for 1/3 the cost.

The only reason the 2kW heater is cheaper is because the boiler is heating the whole house, rather than just the single room - if you want to take that to the logical extreme then an electric blanket is going to be cheaper still.

Moving to a heat pump will exacerbate this, since then you are heating the whole house again, and with the more expensive fuel, so the electric heat pump would need to be 300% efficient to match the cost of heating with gas instead.

Last edited:
Maybe I am, so it's normal to have a bit on the windows. I expected more from brand new double glazing.
If anything its more of an issue because unlike old windows there are no draughts to evaporate/dilute moisture in the air everythings sealed in and as others have said humans put out a lot of moisture.

Last edited:
**** me. How do you put up with that?
Just get on with it. We don’t have central heating so we have no choice. We have night storage heaters but it would a cost an absolute fortune to run them.

We have a thick duvet and a heated blanket so once in bed it’s very warm. Ashp in the front room that keeps it about 16c which is more than adequate.

The results is though that with the government subsidy we pay nothing for energy.

Last edited:
Just get on with it. We don’t have central heating so we have no choice. We have night storage heaters but it would a cost an absolute fortune to run them.

We have a thick duvet and a heated blanket so once in bed it’s very warm. Ashp in the front room that keeps it about 16c which is more than adequate.

The results is though that with the government subsidy we pay nothing for energy.

Well, you enjoy that.

Well, you enjoy that.
It’s not about enjoying it or not. It’s a choice between handing over lots of money to energy producers or not but we’ve been the same since we’ve moved in.
We don’t need to heat the house to 20c, we heat the rooms we are in and use alternatives where we can.

Last edited:
Its 15c at the moment in our house.
I wouldn't want it any colder, its already at a point where you just feel cold breathing, sitting next to my PC which doubles as a heater so its "fine" as long as I stay at my desk.

Last edited:
That's not nescessarily a building construction issue. (Note it was below freezing outside but it was still 15.5c inside).

In my new build, the boiler is woefully undersized for the size of the house. A 12kW boiler for a three storey 4-bed house is just too small. It takes FOREVER to get up to running temperature when heating on all floors is running at the same time. I've stopped running my boiler at the ECO setting and have turned the boiler temperature up to max to help offset it.

The house holds heat really well, but the boiler struggles to increase the heat. It's almost been designed with some form of ASHP or GSHP - intended to have a trickle of constant heat rather than constantly cycling hot / cold.

Goes down to about 13C upstairs, then an hour of heating brings it back up.

Going to extend our downstairs heating timer when I get home. Think it’s sitting at about 7-8C down there.

Wife is away this weekend, so I’ll just live in my gaming room and switch it all down to a frost setting.

November was our priciest month to date, £45 gas and £100 electricity, before the government credit. The variable DD is at least working now though. Gas still really cheap at least, so I’ll put it on a bit more.

Last edited:
That's not nescessarily a building construction issue. (Note it was below freezing outside but it was still 15.5c inside).

In my new build, the boiler is woefully undersized for the size of the house. A 12kW boiler for a three storey 4-bed house is just too small. It takes FOREVER to get up to running temperature when heating on all floors is running at the same time. I've stopped running my boiler at the ECO setting and have turned the boiler temperature up to max to help offset it.

The house holds heat really well, but the boiler struggles to increase the heat. It's almost been designed with some form of ASHP or GSHP - intended to have a trickle of constant heat rather than constantly cycling hot / cold.

Was this just done as cost cutting by the builders or something that was specified at purchase? Our boiler is 30kw for a two storey large 3 bed. Normally up to temp in a hour max and this is running on the eco setting. Doesn't come back on till around 3-4pm.

Last edited:

That's pretty awful.... 3 bed semi with one of the common as muck ideal espi 35 boilers here which, according to Google is 24kw max output so to have half that in a bigger house like yours is mental.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom