Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Was this just done as cost cutting by the builders or something that was specified at purchase? Our boiler is 30kw for a two storey large 3 bed. Normally up to temp in a hour max and this is running on the eco setting.

Presumably cost cutting by the builder. It wasn't an option offered when I bought. To be honest, it's fine. Running a 30kW boiler for an hour is going to be similar to running a 12kW for 2.5 hours in terms of actual cost.

[Edit] Edit to add, it's a conventional condensing boiler, not a combi. It does make a bit of difference as combi boilers are usually spec'd much higher

Last edited:
Presumably cost cutting by the builder. It wasn't an option offered when I bought. To be honest, it's fine. Running a 30kW boiler for an hour is going to be similar to running a 12kW for 2.5 hours in terms of actual cost.

[Edit] Edit to add, it's a conventional condensing boiler, not a combi. It does make a bit of difference as combi boilers are usually spec'd much higher

I didn't even think you still got conventional boilers. I thought everything would be combi by now? When I was a kid it was annoying as once the tank was empty you had to wait for it to fill and heat up before you could have a hot bath!

Currently living in a 1970s converted bungalow (12-13 rooms) in Northern Ireland (Larne) with the original (very thin) wooden framed double glazing. Unfortunately, we are in the country and have no access to gas, so it's an oil fuelled boiler and no thermostat, just the main controller and TRVs on the radiators. We only moved in three months ago, so currently trying to spend some savings on first to try and keep the heat in. We did start to do the remaining loft spaces with more insulation but I'm thinking new uPVC Double Glazing might be in order.

This morning our temperature at 6:00
Living Room 13C
Bedroom 12.8C
En Suite 12.1C
Office 13C

The heating (oil) comes on for an hour starting at 7:00 and by 8:00 and temperatures were at:
Living Room 14.2C
Bedroom 16.6C
En Suite 14.7C
Office 13.9 C

Boosted the temperature for an hour at 9:30 as I was starting work (WFH) at 10:00 and they read as 11
Living Room 14.6C
Bedroom 15.5C
En Suite 15.1C
Office 15.7 C (currently as I type this its back down to 14.8)

Usually, the heating is on 7-8 in the morning and 8-9 in the evening on the boiler schedule and then we just boost for an hour when needed.

I didn't even think you still got conventional boilers. I thought everything would be combi by now? When I was a kid it was annoying as once the tank was empty you had to wait for it to fill and heat up before you could have a hot bath!
ASHP and solar need hot water tanks.

That's why I suspect it was designed with ASHP in mind.

8th Nov - 7th Dec.

How much electricity did you use?
For this period, your average usage was 10 kWh/day or £ 3.82/day Last year, in the same period, your average usage was 15 kWh/day

How much gas did you use?
For this period, your average usage was 42 kWh/day or £ 4.66/day Last year, in the same period, your average usage was 51 kWh/day

Winning I guess.

That's not nescessarily a building construction issue. (Note it was below freezing outside but it was still 15.5c inside).

In my new build, the boiler is woefully undersized for the size of the house. A 12kW boiler for a three storey 4-bed house is just too small. It takes FOREVER to get up to running temperature when heating on all floors is running at the same time. I've stopped running my boiler at the ECO setting and have turned the boiler temperature up to max to help offset it.

The house holds heat really well, but the boiler struggles to increase the heat. It's almost been designed with some form of ASHP or GSHP - intended to have a trickle of constant heat rather than constantly cycling hot / cold.
I think i might have a similar issue to you, I'm in a similar sized house, but we turned off the radiators in rooms we don't use or like the kitchen, as the gas cooker heats the kitchen up anyway, and spare bedrooms we don't use.

Just got home our bedroom is saying 8.1c, bathroom 8.2c and the front room 10.1.

Both the bedroom and bathroom are at the back of the house which not only get no sun at this time of the year, but also has old double glazing.

Going to get my uncle to price up new windows at the back and at least 2 split unit air con units for 2 of the bedrooms.

It’s amazing how adequate temperature is different between everyone.

I’m slim built and get cold quickly if I’m sitting at a desk or watching TV doing nothing, even if the room temp is hot (above 20c)

Doing some exercise/activity for ~15 mins makes a massive difference and means I don’t need to be sitting in 18c+ rooms

Last edited:

That sounds a right-sized boiler, not undersized (been looking into this for replacements for my house). They are apparently more efficient running at max power for longer as they get into condensing mode, so it needs a different way of operating the boiler to the "stick a big boiler on for an hour and then off again" mental model.

It’s amazing how adequate temperature is different between everyone.

I’m slim built and get cold quickly if I’m sitting at a desk or watching TV doing nothing, even if the room temp is hot (above 20c)

Doing some exercise/activity for ~15 mins makes a massive difference and means I don’t need to be sitting in 18c+ rooms
You could turn the thermostat down and use a blanket and still be warm.

My misses feels the cold more than me, yet she puts slippers on, a dressing gown when she’s in the kitchen and if she’s cold in the front room she’ll sit under a blanket.

I think a lot of it is psychological l. We’ve conditioned ourselves to think we’ll die if we don’t have central heating or the thermostat goes below 16c. Modern life is comfortable but humans are adaptable so it won’t take long to get used to and adapt.

Reactions: TNA
That sounds a right-sized boiler, not undersized (been looking into this for replacements for my house). They are apparently more efficient running at max power for longer as they get into condensing mode, so it needs a different way of operating the boiler to the "stick a big boiler on for an hour and then off again" mental model.
The bi-product though is that it takes an hour per celcius heat increase in the house.

You could turn the thermostat down and use a blanket and still be warm.

My misses feels the cold more than me, yet she puts slippers on, a dressing gown when she’s in the kitchen and if she’s cold in the front room she’ll sit under a blanket.

I think a lot of it is psychological l. We’ve conditioned ourselves to think we’ll die if we don’t have central heating or the thermostat goes below 16c. Modern life is comfortable but humans are adaptable so it won’t take long to get used to and adapt.

I don't have any fancy thermostats or smart systems as i'm in a rented flat. Electric panel heaters only and drafty, heat sucking aluminium double glazing.

I'm a pretty warm blooded person but i'm the same as you.

Only ever turn on one radiator if I really need some washing to dry fast which is hung on an airer in front of it.

Apart from that when I get home from work i'll eat dinner on the sofa under a blanket, then play some PC with a blanket over my knees and a hoody on and then get into bed under a 7 tog duvet and blanket and while it might be chilly when I first get home and when I first wake up, i'm not worried about it being cold.

Either pay lots of money for hear or deal with it and stop moaning in here :cry:

Either pay lots of money for hear or deal with it and stop moaning in here :cry:
The way I see it is I can afford to put the heating on we’re not hard up for money, but if I hand over £2500 or whatever it’ll cost to heat my house up to 18c+ for the year, that’s £2500 i could put towards replacing the old, leaky double glazing on the back of my house. Why hand over money to energy producers when I can use it to make my home better.

It's fine if you're healthy, but older / ill people can struggle a lot more so either have to put the heating on and pay the cost or suffer the consequences.

I think i might have a similar issue to you, I'm in a similar sized house, but we turned off the radiators in rooms we don't use or like the kitchen, as the gas cooker heats the kitchen up anyway, and spare bedrooms we don't use.
Sorry if I missed it but is this a modern build? Modern designs are for continuous running as opposed to 1 hour blasts twice a day.

The way I see it is I can afford to put the heating on we’re not hard up for money, but if I hand over £2500 or whatever it’ll cost to heat my house up to 18c+ for the year, that’s £2500 i could put towards replacing the old, leaky double glazing on the back of my house. Why hand over money to energy producers when I can use it to make my home better.
That works fine if you've got the £2500 up front but it was what most households only have like £600 savings or something low so its not like a lot of people have the monies to do that instead.

Back
Top Bottom