Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

We have the heating on from 6:30am to 10:30pm. Set to 19 degrees and rads are on in all rooms. We've got a couple of young kids some can't have it too cold. Plus I work from home so don't fancy wearing gloves to type!

It's costing just shy of a fiver a day in gas for that, which to be honest is better than I had expected. Last couple of winters we had it set to 20 degrees 24hrs a day - glad those days are gone!

We have the heating on from 6:30am to 10:30pm. Set to 19 degrees and rads are on in all rooms. We've got a couple of young kids some can't have it too cold. Plus I work from home so don't fancy wearing gloves to type!

It's costing just shy of a fiver a day in gas for that, which to be honest is better than I had expected. Last couple of winters we had it set to 20 degrees 24hrs a day - glad those days are gone!

That sounds incredibly cheap. Your house must be excellently insulated! It's probably costing us a fiver for 5 hours of heating.

We haven't actually put our heating on yet, and I am talking UK not Greece, apartment and stays at 18C, maybe being sandwiched between 2 apartments, and with a heated external corridor, but the place is exceptionally well built. We will be back in Greece in January, may manage without heating all if the weather in Greece is ok.

My average bill is 0.83 pounds per day currently, on a fixed deal until Dec 2023 which is helping.

Last edited:
I have an ingenious technique to make my 16c living room feel warmer. I simply go outside for a couple of minutes, where it is minus two, and voila, when I come back in, it feels toasty hot at 16c. Do I win a fiver?

Reactions: fez
I have an ingenious technique to make my 16c living room feel warmer. I simply go outside for a couple of minutes, where it is minus two, and voila, when I come back in, it feels toasty hot at 16c. Do I win a fiver?

haha had something similar at work, one of the maintenance guys was working in the -18 degrees freezer. I said to him well at least your the only person who walks outside today and says cor its warm out here ;)

That sounds incredibly cheap. Your house must be excellently insulated! It's probably costing us a fiver for 5 hours of heating.
This highlights a problem though with how people quote heating times. What is "5 hours of heating"?

For example, yesterday our heating schedule was 08:30 - 23:00 @ 19C target. Looking at our Hive, I can see our boiler ran for 3 hours 39 minutes. So did we have 14 1/2 hours of heating, or 3 1/2?

I doubt anyone whose heating schedule is active all day has anything like all day boiler active times. A couple of hours in the morning & evening like some people are running probably isn't significantly shortening heating times honestly.

Last edited:
I thought it was fairly average to be honest, but based on the numbers in this thread I think you might be right.

It's a 1970 3 bed semi. It's timber frame so no wall insulation. Reasonable loft insulation: 10cm in about a quarter and 30cm in the rest. New double glazed pvc windows throughout and new composite front door. Old sliding patio with naff aluminium frame. Gas central heating from a ~12 year old combi boiler. Relatively modern radiators.

So yea, nothing special, but certainly not modern spec.

My in-laws both around 80, are currently using almost £20 a day. I've no idea what their income is but that's a staggering amount each day. Hopefully the cold spell doesn't last too long. :(

:eek:

Bloody Nora, £7300 per annum if they kept that up!?!

That seems excessive, you going to check it out?
They're rattling around in a large 4 bedroom detached house, washing machine and tumble dryer are on most days and the heating is always on when we call round. They're quite wealthy but still, it's a staggering amount each day. My father-in-law is trying his best but my MIL has no concept of frugality.

Sorry if I missed it but is this a modern build? Modern designs are for continuous running as opposed to 1 hour blasts twice a day.
2017 - the wall control panel you can choose either continuous running (like we used to do every winter until this one) or you can turn it completely off, and the heating and hot water both have their own buttons for 1-hour blasts.

My in-laws both around 80, are currently using almost £20 a day. I've no idea what their income is but that's a staggering amount each day. Hopefully the cold spell doesn't last too long. :(

And imagine, the cap is going up again in April, which means it'll be even more expensive in winter 2023. And nobody barely said anything when that was announced.

Back
Top Bottom