Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I put on the CH for 2 hours, it hit a peak room temp of 16.4C towards the end but most of the period was lower than 15C (ambient temp of 12C), really struggled to get the temp up, in those 2 hours it consumed an extra 31.2KwH according to smart meter. So a cost of around £3.10 rounded down a bit. (10.24p KwH)

I then put portable heater on and adjusted it to hit 16C, not only did it get it there very quickly, it was also blowing the heat at me so I felt it much more, it used up around 1.4 KwH extra for those 2 hours. At a estimated cost of 46 pence. (33p KwH)
you put on CH jut for the room you were in I guess ? how powerful is the boiler 30Kw .. so it was on for half the time (ignoring losses),
in the absence of having newer PITV valves, I'm thinking I need to relax radiator lock shield turn in few rooms being heated to increase flow rate.

IR heaters look an interesting option - I need to ask what 500W model guy, in similar Home thread used.

Why are some of you setting the heating at 21 degrees and then complaining it's too expensive? We have had ours set at 18 degrees for years and it's fine and we are in our 70's

How Warm Should Your House Be According to the UK Government​

The UK government used to recommend a temperature of 21 degrees for living rooms and 18 degrees for bedrooms, but now they just recommend 18 degrees for the whole home.

The evidence that’s available points to 18°C being the most appropriate threshold, with little to support the 21°C recommendation, particularly for the fit and healthy. What it also made clear was that the ageing process makes our bodies less able to regulate our temperature, and less able to detect the cold, so a recommendation that just relied on people adjusting the temperature to one that is ‘comfortable’ might put older people in danger.

The Energy Saving Trust recommends heating your home to between 18 to 21 degrees Celsius during winter. And The World Health Organisation (WHO) suggests 18 degrees is the ideal temperature for healthy and well-dressed people. Both agree this is also the ideal temperature for sleeping.

Last edited:
Why are some of you setting the heating at 21 degrees and then complaining it's too expensive? We have had ours set at 18 degrees for years and it's fine and we are in our 70's

The UK government used to recommend a temperature of 21 degrees for living rooms and 18 degrees for bedrooms, but now they just recommend 18 degrees for the whole home.

Because my parents suffer from a combination of emphysema, asthma, osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, complex regional pain syndrome, atrial fibrillation and raynauds. At 21 degrees they are still using blankets Inc elec blankets, hot water bottles, microwave heat pads and multiple layers.

No :(

A kWh is a kWh regardless of the source. If you had just the boiler and a single radiator in your room, then it would provide the same heat as that 2kW electric heater for 1/3 the cost.

The only reason the 2kW heater is cheaper is because the boiler is heating the whole house, rather than just the single room - if you want to take that to the logical extreme then an electric blanket is going to be cheaper still.

Moving to a heat pump will exacerbate this, since then you are heating the whole house again, and with the more expensive fuel, so the electric heat pump would need to be 300% efficient to match the cost of heating with gas instead.
Yes the exact point I am making, with GCH I am payng to heat up space dont desire to be heated, that in itself is a inefficiency.

The boiler is also heating my water and the pipes, it doesnt have a radiator only mode.

Professionals also state gas is less efficient so even with optimised direction of heat, its not a 1 to 1, although these claims put it at 0.9 to 1. (for the best gas boilers, but remember not all boilers are equal, some are much lower).

If I had room thermostats I might have tried the idea of background temps of 14C via the gas. My boiler costs a ton just to barely reach 16C.

Your idea with just turning on one radiator I think would still be more costly, as most of the radiator is covered so hot air trapped not reaching me, a fan heater blowing the heat at someone effectively allows a "feels like" temp higher than the average room temp.

A gas powered portable fan heater would be interesting, but I think they dont exist. :p

I also agree a wrap around blanket is probably the winner, and I do have one here ready to go.

Last edited:
Currently averaging about £8-10 a day for gas use to keep 4 bed detached at 21c from 6.30am - 10.30pm then 18c over night. Thank goodness for the £500 WFP I get from my parents!

About the same as us. I am trialing 19 degrees at the moment to see if it makes any difference. If not then will put it back up. If it is going to be £300 a month then so be it. I have £700 ish in credit and paying £247 a month plus Truss money so should cover it till the weather gets better.

I was also under the impression it is better to just heat the whole house instead of a single room as it will help the house keep temperature over a long time. After all you are just heating a body of water and whether it is 1 or 10 radiators heating water takes very little time. If you have ever drained a boiler the water it contains isn't that much it is barely half a bath full if that.

Last edited:
Both agree this is also the ideal temperature for sleeping.
need to ask them about the duvet loft type, and TOG ... full metal jacket of 13.5+ tog in 18C ambiant would be warm, young children excepted, currently using 4.5 in little heated 13ish bedroom.

edit: OK WHO 18C is the body temperature beneath the duvet - maybe
Generally, you sleep best if your body remains at a cool to normal temperature throughout the night. 18C / 65F is about the right temperature to keep your bedroom. You will also sleep better if your duvet is the right tog for that season:

Last edited:
you put on CH jut for the room you were in I guess ? how powerful is the boiler 30Kw .. so it was on for half the time (ignoring losses),
in the absence of having newer PITV valves, I'm thinking I need to relax radiator lock shield turn in few rooms being heated to increase flow rate.

IR heaters look an interesting option - I need to ask what 500W model guy, in similar Home thread used.
I left the radiators as they were (bathroom off, kitchen, living, room. bedroom all on), so I guess would have been lower if I turned the others off.

On night time discussion, I got no issues, under a normal quilt I feel fine. Day time, torso is ok, but hands and feet have started to bite.

Room temp was really low at 8C when waking up, I boosted it now to around 14C, but will now just run the blanket and see how things go.

Last edited:
I must have a well Insulated house, I have my heating set to come on twice a day (6-7am and 6-7pm)for an hour each time to 21c, and in between the temperature has never dropped below 17.5c even over the last couple of nights when the temperature was -2c outside
That's amazing

I must have a well Insulated house, I have my heating set to come on twice a day (6-7am and 6-7pm)for an hour each time to 21c, and in between the temperature has never dropped below 17.5c even over the last couple of nights when the temperature was -2c outside
Very well insulated indeed.

We set our thermostat to 19C for the times when we're in (I've manually got upstairs and downstairs on 19C now while I WFH). Thermostat showed 16.5ºC this morning, but that's only down from 19ºC at 2130 last night with overnight temp of -3ºC. We couldn't maintain a good temperature with only 2 hours of heating a day though, so yours must be a much more effective heating system and better insulated than ours.

The Energy Saving Trust recommends heating your home to between 18 to 21 degrees Celsius during winter. And The World Health Organisation (WHO) suggests 18 degrees is the ideal temperature for healthy and well-dressed people. Both agree this is also the ideal temperature for sleeping.
The last time our house hit 18 degrees was 13th November. :(

Yes the exact point I am making, with GCH I am payng to heat up space dont desire to be heated, that in itself is a inefficiency.

The boiler is also heating my water and the pipes, it doesnt have a radiator only mode.

Professionals also state gas is less efficient so even with optimised direction of heat, its not a 1 to 1, although these claims put it at 0.9 to 1. (for the best gas boilers, but remember not all boilers are equal, some are much lower).

If I had room thermostats I might have tried the idea of background temps of 14C via the gas. My boiler costs a ton just to barely reach 16C.

Your idea with just turning on one radiator I think would still be more costly, as most of the radiator is covered so hot air trapped not reaching me, a fan heater blowing the heat at someone effectively allows a "feels like" temp higher than the average room temp.

A gas powered portable fan heater would be interesting, but I think they dont exist. :p

I also agree a wrap around blanket is probably the winner, and I do have one here ready to go.

Your post came across as trying to claim that a gas kWh provides less heat than an electric kWh, which simply isn't the case, because the gas boiler is heating a lot more than just the small area of space you want it to heat. You said a heat pump would make that even more obvious, but it wouldn't, quite the opposite in fact, because the heat pump would also be heating the water and pipes, so you'd still have those efficiency losses, but the fuel would cost 3x as much.

I'm not saying you're wrong - it probably is cheaper to heat your single room with a small electric heater if that's the only room you need/want heated but it's not because gas is less efficient, it's because you are comparing systems which are designed for 2 very different things (localised heating vs heating the whole house). Using those same 2kW electric heaters to heat the whole house would cost significantly more than doing the same using gas via your boiler.

Your post came across as trying to claim that a gas kWh provides less heat than an electric kWh, which simply isn't the case, because the gas boiler is heating a lot more than just the small area of space you want it to heat. You said a heat pump would make that even more obvious, but it wouldn't, quite the opposite in fact, because the heat pump would also be heating the water and pipes, so you'd still have those efficiency losses, but the fuel would cost 3x as much.

I'm not saying you're wrong - it probably is cheaper to heat your single room with a small electric heater if that's the only room you need/want heated but it's not because gas is less efficient, it's because you are comparing systems which are designed for 2 very different things (localised heating vs heating the whole house). Using those same 2kW electric heaters to heat the whole house would cost significantly more than doing the same using gas via your boiler.
Of course it would, but if you think about what I said, I never said what you saying.

I said GCH which isnt just meaning gas, its meaning central heating, the entire thing as it is. :) But I do appreciate you at least recognised I talking about my specific circumstances of only wanting to heat myself up, not my entire property. When I brought this up elsewhere, I felt I was talking to a wall as people were acting as if I was trying to say using portable heaters is a replacement to heat an entire house, when I never said that.

I can use GCH if I want to and pay for it, but I need to be building my savings so I can buy a home, hence me been very diligent with what I am spending. Sick of renting completely now and the heating situation is only highlighting how bad it is as I am stuck with my landlord's investment decisions.

I use an electric 2kW heater when Im WFH, no point heating the whole house when Im in the small back bedroom aka my home office.

On the topic of heating - I have noticed that my central heating system, powered by a 25kW combi boiler, does struggle to warm up the main living room, which has 2.5 external walls and a radiator in the bay window. The upstairs of the house gets nice and warm though. So I need to try and address this, Im thinking smart TRVs to try and direct heat only to the room that needs it.

How often do you guys ask for a refund from your supplier? I argued with them that the direct debit they've put me on is way too high. And even with winter gas usage and less solar we're well under the direct debit. At what point do you guys ask for a rebate?

Just go onto variable DD, pay for what you use. Winter costs more but your solar will pretty much handle all of spring/summer to make up for it.

Of course it would, but if you think about what I said, I never said what you saying.

I said GCH which isnt just meaning gas, its meaning central heating, the entire thing as it is. :) But I do appreciate you at least recognised I talking about my specific circumstances of only wanting to heat myself up, not my entire property. When I brought this up elsewhere, I felt I was talking to a wall as people were acting as if I was trying to say using portable heaters is a replacement to heat an entire house, when I never said that.

I can use GCH if I want to and pay for it, but I need to be building my savings so I can buy a home, hence me been very diligent with what I am spending. Sick of renting completely now and the heating situation is only highlighting how bad it is as I am stuck with my landlord's investment decisions.

I also pointed out you seemed to be talking about something else here: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-no-referrals.18948056/page-972#post-36064217

Your post did kind of make out like you thought electric heating was more efficient than gas, you didn't explain anything.

Back
Top Bottom