Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Badly insulated home (Rental) electric only. I had one small bathroom storage heater on, one living room and kitchen as the living room one isn't enough to heat both and the kitchen is attached to the living room with hot water for a bath. Used £11 of electric in one night on economy 7 :( :( :( :(

Storage heaters are from 1970 and oh how I miss gas :(

Last edited:
Just get on with it. We don’t have central heating so we have no choice. We have night storage heaters but it would a cost an absolute fortune to run them.

We have a thick duvet and a heated blanket so once in bed it’s very warm. Ashp in the front room that keeps it about 16c which is more than adequate.

The results is though that with the government subsidy we pay nothing for energy.

I feel for you dude! I'm having to have those expensive storage heaters on because I have digenerative disease :(

Eon sent me aq letter saying they noticed I haven't used the November top up voucher.

You know the ones I've been asking them to re-issue since 3 weeks because I never received it...

Why cant the reminder to use it contain the damn barcode??? because whomever works at EON clearly has 0 sense

absolute PATHETIC company, they have me listed as a "vulnerable" customer too

That obviously means nothing to them, it's just to make it look like they are doing something to help out vulnerable customers aka virtue signalling

Last edited:
Currently averaging about £8-10 a day for gas use to keep 4 bed detached at 21c from 6.30am - 10.30pm then 18c over night. Thank goodness for the £500 WFP I get from my parents!

Same about £8-9, that's having heating on for few hours in morning (20c) and then 18c throughout the day, and back to 20c for 2-3hrs in the evening.

Normally don't bother as much in the day and leave it off, just depends if we have family over, looking after my young nephew at the moment so need to keep the house warm.

Quite surprised how well insulated this house must be.

I opened all the windows and even front/back doors for about 30mins this morning to air the house as normal. Temps dropped from 18oC to 11oC in that time (outside is -1). I then closed them all and, within 45 mins and heating still off, the internal temp is now showing 15oC just from any residual heat in the walls and from me being here.

So 4oC increase (and climbing) without any supplemental heating....
Mine is 8C now in morning when no heating intervention, so gives you an idea of the impact I guess. My outdoor temp hit lows of -3 so 2 degrees offset.

PC brings it up by about 3 degrees or so without heating gets to around 11.5-12C currently but only in the room with the PC in.

Some info here on boiler efficiency, have found out mine is only 74%.

1. What is boiler efficiency?​

A boiler's 'energy efficiency' is the percentage of the total energy used by the boiler to provide useful heating. For a modern boiler with 94% efficiency, 94% of the energy used by the boiler goes to heating the home, only 6% is 'lost'/used to run itself. For a very old boiler with 60% efficiency, only 60% of the energy used by the boiler goes to heating the home, a whopping 40% is lost.

Boilers, like other domestic appliances, have efficiency ratings of A-G. Modern boilers have to be A-rated and show it on their literature. It is hard to determine the efficiency rating of older boilers because the ratings are retrospectively applied.

• A - 90% and above
  • B - 86-90%
  • C - 82-86%
  • D - 78-82%
  • E - 74-78%
  • F - 70-74%
  • G - below 70%

The biggest issue is being paired with the wrong radiator sizes/numbers to make it as efficient as the boiler itself is. The boiler might be efficient as stated as the one element but everything else is going to be lower still especially as rooms are designed with rads as an after thought and not a primary for the most part.

The biggest issue is being paired with the wrong radiator sizes/numbers to make it as efficient as the boiler itself is. The boiler might be efficient as stated as the one element but everything else is going to be lower still especially as rooms are designed with rads as an after thought and not a primary for the most part.

You must be on some crazy-good fixed tariff

Standard Government cap rates so 34p elec and 10p gas.

Unless I have my sums wrong but I've used
16 units of gas (180 kWh)
35 kWh of electricity.

It's higher once you include SC which accounts for nearly 30% of my daily costs (78p/day)

Edit: for context, it's a 3 bed semi circa 900sqft.

Last edited:
That's not far off my own figures, excl SC - except a bit less on gas (77p/day) and about the same on electricity (£1.67/day).

I keep my mouth shut now when people in my office are complaining about their costs with big draughty houses. Some of them haven't turned their heating on yet and are living with 10C internal temperature whilst I'm swanning about at 19C all day long thanks to my insulation.

Last edited:
That will also be its maximum as tested in a lab. Most boilers are grossly oversized and not installed/operated correctly. I’d be be surprised is most brand new boilers even get in the 85%+ range.
That does depend on the boiler. I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 8000 which is 94% efficient. It was also setup during the installation to run at its max efficiency configuration. It has a variable output of 3.5-35.0 kW. With older or cheaper boilers it may not be able to adapt to the load and so could turn on and off too much.

That's not far off my own figures, excl SC - except a bit less on gas (77p/day) and about the same on electricity (£1.67/day).

I keep my mouth shut now when people in my office are complaining about their costs with big draughty houses. Some of them haven't turned their heating on yet and are living with 10C internal temperature whilst I'm swanning about at 19C all day long thanks to my insulation.
Guessing your in a newish build, built in the last few years?

Last edited:
After using my blanket almost all day on Saturday, I can see my smart meter data its indistinguishable from average daily usage, which is great news, so they are indeed really cheap to use.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom