Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Well blanket seems to be working better than expected, touching the under side of it is quite warm, and feet/hands feel warmer even though hands arent covered, I assume this is because my blood circulation has opened up.

The blanket has no watt rating anywhere, but I am assuming its 100w, will probably measure it.

Last edited:
Why are some of you setting the heating at 21 degrees and then complaining it's too expensive? We have had ours set at 18 degrees for years and it's fine and we are in our 70's

How Warm Should Your House Be According to the UK Government​

The UK government used to recommend a temperature of 21 degrees for living rooms and 18 degrees for bedrooms, but now they just recommend 18 degrees for the whole home.

The Energy Saving Trust recommends heating your home to between 18 to 21 degrees Celsius during winter. And The World Health Organisation (WHO) suggests 18 degrees is the ideal temperature for healthy and well-dressed people. Both agree this is also the ideal temperature for sleeping.
Not a single room in our house is even close to 18 never mind 21C. The closet is in the Living room at 16.1, with the office currently at 13.9C. I guess I'll go put the heating on!

Last edited:
Why are some of you setting the heating at 21 degrees and then complaining it's too expensive? We have had ours set at 18 degrees for years and it's fine and we are in our 70's

How Warm Should Your House Be According to the UK Government​

The UK government used to recommend a temperature of 21 degrees for living rooms and 18 degrees for bedrooms, but now they just recommend 18 degrees for the whole home.

The Energy Saving Trust recommends heating your home to between 18 to 21 degrees Celsius during winter. And The World Health Organisation (WHO) suggests 18 degrees is the ideal temperature for healthy and well-dressed people. Both agree this is also the ideal temperature for sleeping.
lol impossible in rented! I'm in a Victorian terrace, heating just the living room which takes about 3 hours to go from 11/12c to 18c and then I turn it off as that's already £6! The bedroom is permanently around 11-13c, just run up the stairs and get under the duvet as quick as you can.

Last edited:
Very well insulated indeed.

We set our thermostat to 19C for the times when we're in (I've manually got upstairs and downstairs on 19C now while I WFH). Thermostat showed 16.5ºC this morning, but that's only down from 19ºC at 2130 last night with overnight temp of -3ºC. We couldn't maintain a good temperature with only 2 hours of heating a day though, so yours must be a much more effective heating system and better insulated than ours.
I have just checked and from the heating going off when it hits 21c its only just got to 17.5c when it switches on the next morning, that’s over the last 2 nights when it has been below 0c

Here is how my house as performed over the last 3 days, had to kick my daughters ass on Wednesday because he had the nerve to put the heating on when it was almost 20c inside, the blue blocks are when the heating is active
FF9AWz9.png
CIEGwLh.png
05lwcbm.png

got switched over to Octopus Eco 7 today, off peak between 00:30 and 07:30.

Day Rate is 39.95p and night rate is 18.53p with a SC of 49.11p in my area (south scotland). With the normal night use, moving a load of washing, running the dishwasher and charging up 7 kWh worth of batteries I reckon it will save a few quid as the day rate isn't really that much more expensive than the standard rate so think I'll be able to use 50% of my maximum usage over to the cheap rate.

got switched over to Octopus Eco 7 today, off peak between 00:30 and 07:30.

Day Rate is 39.95p and night rate is 18.53p with a SC of 49.11p in my area (south scotland). With the normal night use, moving a load of washing, running the dishwasher and charging up 7 kWh worth of batteries I reckon it will save a few quid as the day rate isn't really that much more expensive than the standard rate so think I'll be able to use 50% of my maximum usage over to the cheap rate.

It makes a big difference. I'm able to charge the batteries at a cheaper rate, for my area it's 16.69p. Which means that despite it being winter with less sunshine, it has a massive impact on electricity. It's meant that I've been able to be a little less stingy on gas usage.

Its 15c at the moment in our house.
I wouldn't want it any colder, its already at a point where you just feel cold breathing, sitting next to my PC which doubles as a heater so its "fine" as long as I stay at my desk.
I might be getting old, but 15c I cant type as well and imo 15c isnt that cold. I used to turn off my fridge and leave it all cold years ago, I wasnt in doors for the majority of the time anyway so why bother but cold now think it affects more as people get older.

There is 4 inches of snow this weekend possible. Free water for those on a meter, always a money saving angle :p Structurally anything above 10c I think is ok, if we are talking 0c then leave heating on but with thermostat low (or whatever you prefer) as you really dont want burst pipes as a possible overnight. False economy happening comes into play at some point

Quite surprised how well insulated this house must be.

I opened all the windows and even front/back doors for about 30mins this morning to air the house as normal. Temps dropped from 18oC to 11oC in that time (outside is -1). I then closed them all and, within 45 mins and heating still off, the internal temp is now showing 15oC just from any residual heat in the walls and from me being here.

So 4oC increase (and climbing) without any supplemental heating....

Back
Top Bottom