Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I've had my electric smart meter installed for almost a month, and still got the "waiting for current data" message showing on the remote display.

Octopus are reading the usage so curious why it's not displaying yet.

Is this normal? Octopus say it can take up to two weeks, so it's well past that now.

I've had my electric smart meter installed for almost a month, and still got the "waiting for current data" message showing on the remote display.

Is this normal? Octopus say it can take up to two weeks, so it's well past that now.
Nope, you need to harass them sadly.

IHD will work same day of install if goes to plan.

Nice little result today. Went to see how much was on the electricity meter to see if I needed to put some on and there was £154 on it. EDF must have put my warm home discount on.

Thats a nice little bonus just before christmas.

My baseline electric seems considerably higher, which is something I need to investigate (I used 6.2 kWh, with just fridge, 3 lights, and network equipment on).

But I now have the measurements for 24 hour gas. I have seen people post gas graphs that show high usage for first 1 or 2 hours followed by very low levels to just "top up", mine looks considerably different, so you know whats coming.

No room thermostats, 3 radiators.

I posting from phone app so its in kWh not m3. Cost approx £14.50 for the day. But would have been about 1/3 that for 8 hours. The highlighted amount is 30 mins not 1 hour. Bear that in mind if looking at per hour costs.

The good news is today with heating off all day, temp only bottomed out at 16.1C, so I am way away now from needing "any" kind of heating at least for a couple of days I guess.

XmApETI.png

Is this saying you're using 140kwh of gas... A day??
That is shocking. Ours isn't great but it isn't that high!

And on the electric... Yeah something is very wrong there.

We average 8-10 kWh on a "at home" day.
2 of us work from home, 10KW electric shower. Plasma TV and all the other appliances.

Here's a question for you all.

The last few days it's been really cold as you know. 17 degrees inside my house felt really cold.

Today it's massively warned up outside. I have my heating on 17 and if anything I feel too warm.

How is it that the inside temperature is the same yet I was cold before and too hot now?

Have same. I know what it is for us.

Our smart heating is at the trv.
So right there you have an issue.
Lower the offset too much (trv is reading 22c but it shows as 20).

So when room is ambient (equal temperature across the room) as it is when it's warm outside it might be 20c but stay thinks its 18 and it bumps it up.
But when it's cold you need the offset as obviously right by the radiator it could be 24c but room ambient may be 18.

Only. So much can be done short of having a thermostat in every room away from the trv. But that's an extra 30-40 pounds per room for tado.

Also I noticed in the really cold snap our hard floor was noticeable cold and that made a difference!

Last edited:
Is this saying you're using 140kwh of gas... A day??
That is shocking. Ours isn't great but it isn't that high!

And on the electric... Yeah something is very wrong there.

We average 8-10 kWh on a "at home" day.
2 of us work from home, 10KW electric shower. Plasma TV and all the other appliances.
Yep that was for a day with boiler turned on for the full 24 hour period.

I dont usually use my GCH though so its not normally something I pay for, I wanted to try it out so I had some hard data on my costs and usage requirements to use it as previously only used GCH on my old dumb meter, right before turning it on my flat was at a unhealthy temperature.

I appreciate you posted your data as its educational on the merits of GCH in a decent setup vs something more stone age like mine.

I was using around 5.4 kWh an hour on the quieter hours, so even for say 8 hours, it would be considerably more expensive than yours costs, the higher usage hours early on were about 33% above that.

I use over 3 kWh just for my pilot light a day, so if I had something similar to you I think I would keep it on like yourself as your 8-10 a day seems very reasonable.

Also only the kitchen (double glazed) felt like it had heating turned on, rest of rooms felt like if someone walked in they would assume my heating was off, it deffo took the sting out, stopped it feeling ice cold so was good for my health, but the other rooms didnt feel actually warm/hot until the outside temp started rising.

Last edited:

Had my smart meter install december 2021 and the IHD still doesn't show gas. I've gone through 3 levels of support over the last 12 months to try and sort it and the last guy just gave up and said they'll send out a new IHD.

The readings are still going to Octopus, they just don't show gas on the IHD.

I've just seen an advert for Fairy washing up liquid and it was advising people to washup with cold water?!?! Now that's ridiculous. That doesn't seem safe to me.

Cold showers will be next! Where do we draw the line? Maybe go sleep in the woods and wash in the river 3 times a week to save using your house at all!

I've just seen an advert for Fairy washing up liquid and it was advising people to washup with cold water?!?! Now that's ridiculous. That doesn't seem safe to me.

Cold showers will be next! Where do we draw the line? Maybe go sleep in the woods and wash in the river 3 times a week to save using your house at all!

Why not? Unless what you are washing has oil or something on it then washing with cold water is fine. I do it, no health issues whatsoever. Granted a week ago when weather was super cold I had to alternate between hot and cold as my hands would get a bit cold, but no biggie.

We've just this week had a shower installed at work so now on work showers when in office. I am first in anyways so just add to the daily routine.

And with regard to water, the temp makes no difference at all. Need to scrub properly with washing up liquid. Also don't use a tea-towel to dry, let it air-dry otherwise you actually introduce more bacteria at end.

Just get a dishwasher mate. No colds hand here. :D

You'd need to wash your plates at 70c or something for the temp to actually make a "safety" difference. Not sure the average boiler spits that out :)

Back
Top Bottom