Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

We've just this week had a shower installed at work so now on work showers when in office. I am first in anyways so just add to the daily routine.

And with regard to water, the temp makes no difference at all. Need to scrub properly with washing up liquid. Also don't use a tea-towel to dry, let it air-dry otherwise you actually introduce more bacteria at end.
That maybe the case but a lot of what we eat has oils in it. If the water isn't hot enough to break down the oil on the plates then they go away dirty. Hotter water does seem more efficient time wise too.

I've always had a dishwasher since being a kid. I just find it crazy that people are being asked to wash plates and cooking pans with cold water
It’s up to them what they do. I very rarely heat my hot water tank, it’s just not economical to do so. I let my dishwasher do it for me for about 20p a go or whatever it costs.

Last edited:
It’s up to them what they do. I very rarely heat my hot water tank, it’s just not economical to do so. I let my dishwasher do it for me for about 20p a go or whatever it costs.
No I get that but it starts to cross a line for me personally when marketing is asking you to wash with cold water to promote their products.

You don't heat your hot water tank?..... How do you wash your hands and face? Or shower?

No I get that but it starts to cross a line for me personally when marketing is asking you to wash with cold water to promote their products.

You don't heat your hot water tank?..... How do you wash your hands and face? Or shower?
Who cares what they say.

No I heat it once a week or maybe a bit longer just for legionaries, other than that I use cold water to wash my hands and an electric shower to shower. If I need hot water for any reason I’ll just boil the kettle.

Who cares what they say.

No I heat it once a week or maybe a bit longer just for legionaries, other than that I use cold water to wash my hands and an electric shower to shower. If I need hot water for any reason I’ll just boil the kettle.
Fair enough. The electric shower explains it. Are you not tempted to get rid of that and have a shower plumbed in?

Coming off a 3 year fixed come Feb next year, so I'm getting ready for a shafting alright. What's the concensus then, stick the variable (cap limited) or go on a 2 or 3 year fixed? Looking around the news suggests a couple more years of high prices.

That maybe the case but a lot of what we eat has oils in it. If the water isn't hot enough to break down the oil on the plates then they go away dirty. Hotter water does seem more efficient time wise too.
Surely you are scraping any larger amounts of oils/grease prior to washing up? Washing oils off with cold water and washing up liquid will still remove general oils/small amounts fine.

If you have anything like a full English fry up then let the oils/grease solidify and then remove and you good to go.

Surely you are scraping any larger amounts of oils/grease prior to washing up? Washing oils off with cold water and washing up liquid will still remove general oils/small amounts fine.

If you have anything like a full English fry up then let the oils/grease solidify and then remove and you good to go.
It seems like a lot of work. Dishwasher is still king in my house

It seems like a lot of work. Dishwasher is still king in my house
Don't even have the room or plumbing for a slim line dishwasher so no chance for that to be king otherwise would use that. But you should still never be putting in grease loaded trays, frying pans in the dishwasher.

That's why there issue with fatbergs are a bigger issue than ever. People chuck it all in or wash it up with hot water, the grease dissolves and then as it cools in the drainage system it congeal again.

For instance Oxfordshire Council actually collect the fats/oils/grease if you put them in a plastic container (we use old take away containers) and put it in with your food caddy.

Don't even have the room or plumbing for a slim line dishwasher so no chance for that to be king otherwise would use that. But you should still never be putting in grease loaded trays, frying pans in the dishwasher.

That's why there issue with fatbergs are a bigger issue than ever. People chuck it all in or wash it up with hot water, the grease dissolves and then as it cools in the drainage system it congeal again.

For instance Oxfordshire Council actually collect the fats/oils/grease if you put them in a plastic container (we use old take away containers) and put it in with your food caddy.

To be fair it's also just good practice to rinse of plates, bowls, pans etc. before putting them in the dishwasher, that's what we've always done. Otherwise you run the risk of not everything being thoroughly cleaned or a blocked up system that you then have to clean (which smells awful, feels awful and generally not a fan of doing it that often...)

To be fair it's also just good practice to rinse of plates, bowls, pans etc. before putting them in the dishwasher, that's what we've always done. Otherwise you run the risk of not everything being thoroughly cleaned or a blocked up system that you then have to clean (which smells awful, feels awful and generally not a fan of doing it that often...)
If you rinse your plates in the sink first it's still all going to the same place as putting it in the dishwasher. I scrape off any left overs into the bin and then straight in the dishwasher, plates, pans, knifes, forks, glasses, cups. The lot. It comes out clean and it saves a family of 4 countless hours!

Next stop is the washing. Every times I have to wash it, put it out to dry and then put it away I'm thinking how I can make it more efficient. Time wise of course. The tumble dryer is banned.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom