Energy Suppliers

Soldato
It's irrelevant what the 'savings' are, that's just marketing rubbish. All that matters is the cost going forward.

I just track all my meter readings on an excel so I can reconcile the billing, I have little trust in energy suppliers to get it right. Far too many horror stories.

I'm with Economy Energy, until they resolve my billing issue, they randomly just added £200 to my charges between bills.

4 months later they still haven't corrected it.

Soldato
Does anyone have a referall link for Tonik please?

Looking to go for renewable energy this time. Solarplicity is getting killed on MSE, but Tonik doesn't seem as bad (despite being £80 a year more expensive than the former).

Soldato
so switched to bulb from npower 8July -

I give my first/handover reading to Bulb 'n', and it was visible on my bulb account, for some reason they provide npower with 'n'-3 - are these folks incompetent ?

I had rung npower to make sure their end bill was imminent, and that calculation would be correct.

(if the numbers are wrong, and you have not payed all, sometimes solicitors pick this up when you move house too)

Soldato
Moving house tomorrow and planning on switching to bulb. Quidco are doing £50 cashback but I assume the referral scheme is quicker and easier (and the referrer gets £50 too).

So, does anyone have a link? :)

Man of Honour
Well my switch from Bulb to Utility Point went through nice and easy despite a lack of communication from Utility Point at the start. Once the transfer process had started I got regular updates from them and the switch was completed in just over 2 weeks. Got my final bill from Bulb and they owe me £110.66 which they say I will recieve in the next 7 days. The biggest part of the gas bill was standing charges, gas used 58p, standing charges £3.27. Electricity was the same in standing charges and £14.34 for energy used. This was for 14 days. With Bulbs upcoming price rises the move was a no brainer for me and while gas is slightly more expensive with Utility point 2.98p per unit compared to Bulbs 2.93p per unit, electricity is cheaper at 12.93p per unit compared to Bulbs 13.76p per unit and the standing charge is a big difference at only 11.02p per day, per energy compared to Bulbs 24.56p per day per energy. That is a 27.08p per day saving on standing charges alone making a saving of £96.4048 over the year of the fixed price contract plus I will be getting a £25 credit from the referral that I signed up with. Their website is good and I haven't had any problems updating my meter readings and they are pretty quick to reply to emails and they actually keep their promise of a call back!! If anyone wants a referral for Utility Point drop me a message.

Soldato
Not worth the risk with these new companies, seriously it can cause so much headache when they screw it up. Took me months to sort a switch gone wrong out. Couldn't care less about saving £20 a year compared to a company you can trust.

Man of Honour
Not worth the risk with these new companies, seriously it can cause so much headache when they screw it up. Took me months to sort a switch gone wrong out. Couldn't care less about saving £20 a year compared to a company you can trust.

It's not £20 a year though, it's £96.40 cheaper in standing charges alone. Bulb is about to hike prices for a second time this year and no doubt that there will be more over the next year if I had stayed with them so the savings could be significantly more. I was initially worried about the lack of information on Utility Point but after having chatted to a couple of people who are with them and reading the latest feedback about them on MSE's Cheap Energy club decided to give them a go. The switch went smoothly and completed on time and they have a good easy to use website. Hopefully apart from my monthly readings I won't have to get in touch with them again plus my prices are fixed for a year when I will most likely move again.

I know where you are coming from as I was a customer of GBEnergy when they went bust but that all ended well when the Co-op took it over and honoured the fixed prices until the end of the contract. I was willing to give Utility Point a try and so far I have had no problems with them. Let's hope it stays that way.

Soldato
Right whats the catch with Tonik and Bulb, both are significantly cheaper than everyone else and that before a referral bonus! Using the rates we use at our current place they are pretty much identical in price per month. Not exactly sure how much more we will use at the new place but one of these two will still clearly be the cheaper.

Soldato
I've been with Tonik for a few years and there's been no catch. I'm dubious of Bulb though, they've had a huge increase in customers recently, wonder if the model they're on is sustainable or if they'll start upping prices once they hit a customer threshold.

Soldato
I've been with Tonik for a few years and there's been no catch. I'm dubious of Bulb though, they've had a huge increase in customers recently, wonder if the model they're on is sustainable or if they'll start upping prices once they hit a customer threshold.

This is what tempts me more to tonik than bulb the fixed rate.

Another one that is even cheaper is utility point, also fixed rate although the referral credit is only 25 with those so makes up the difference

Soldato
afaik there is still no record of historical prices from bulb/tonik etc. so that you can see how they tracked one another;

like many I guess the pre-brexit main supplier (npower) fixed deal I had, that just expired, was better than any of the current tarifs (if only I had had a crystal ball)
and conservative relations who had taken fixed deals that are stull running are also better off.

Equally not sure for referral codes whether the new person has to remain for a particular period ?

Soldato
so switched to bulb from npower 8July -

I give my first/handover reading to Bulb 'n', and it was visible on my bulb account, for some reason they provide npower with 'n'-3 - are these folks incompetent ?

I had rung npower to make sure their end bill was imminent, and that calculation would be correct.

(if the numbers are wrong, and you have not payed all, sometimes solicitors pick this up when you move house too)

Same, but assuming I'm reading your post right I don't think it's Bulb in this instance? Don't the cross over meter readings go through an independent third party who reconcile between the two companies. The reading I sent was slightly lower than what appeared on the final bill / new bill. I assume due to the meter readings being disputed as being too low by British Gas (old supplier).

Back
Top Bottom