Energy Suppliers

Soldato
You should be able to switch in the last 4-6 weeks without penalty (check your T&C's but I have never hit a standard tariff in years). It takes 2-4 weeks.

Don't switch with Uswitch, they are fine to get an idea of prices but there are usually Quidco cashback or referral codes which get you some money back (often £50+). If you use uswitch then they get the cash and they don't actually do anything except pass your details to the supplier, there is essentially no difference when you engage the supplier yourself.

The rules mean you don't need to notify your current supplier, you just engage a new one and the two suppliers deal with it between them. You just need to take a meter reading when your new supplier tells you to.

There shouldn't be any link between your homecare and your energy supply, the former is essentially an insurance product but you may get a discount if you have both off the homecare but it shouldn't stop entirely, anyone can get it BG customer or not. You will need to check that with homecare but I doubt one will effect the other greatly.

Energy tariffs are very regulated and they can only have a few and all charges must be clear and upfront, there should be nothing hidden. Always base your caparison on your actual usage over the last year. Most on here (me included) advocate for setting up a quick excel to compare rather than relying on a comparison site as there are extras that are often not taken into account like Quidco and if using a comparison site make sure you tick the box that says 'show me the whole market' on a comparison site and not just the ones they can refer you to.

Appreciate this information, I shall try and have a proper look into it this evening and see what comes up.

I guess it won't hurt if I'm out of contract on their basic tariff whilst I look for my next move? I assume they won't lock me into that and guess it's just not a great place to be for too long?

Soldato
You can go via quidco to uswitch I believe which is probably worth doing, I went with MSE though as quidco doesn't track 100% of the time and the cashback was slightly better.

EDF were not offering me the same deal directly and in fact couldn't. Some are only on the comparison sites apparently!

Soldato
You can leave the variable at any time. But it takes about 30-90 mins to look at the various tariffs and another 10 mins to switch online so no real need to spend a lot of time or thought into it.

Soldato
You can leave the variable at any time. But it takes about 30-90 mins to look at the various tariffs and another 10 mins to switch online so no real need to spend a lot of time or thought into it.

Thanks, I'm very uneducated on the matter. It's our first home and have been with BG since we got here so it's my first time changing over :) I guess as the 2 companies talk to eachother there will be no loss of service or getting cut off etc :D

Soldato
£20 amazon voucher each. Will trust you the code.

Can’t complain at that. Cheers buddy. Not entirely sure when I’ll be signing up as we move on Saturday but need to sort out starting an account with current suppliers so we can change over I presume it’s valid for an indefinite time? (Whilst the current referral offer is still valid) or do you need to sign up with the referral within 24 hours or something?

Associate
Can’t complain at that. Cheers buddy. Not entirely sure when I’ll be signing up as we move on Saturday but need to sort out starting an account with current suppliers so we can change over I presume it’s valid for an indefinite time? (Whilst the current referral offer is still valid) or do you need to sign up with the referral within 24 hours or something?

anyone got a tonic code then, seems the cheapest energy out there? any other suggestions?

Soldato
I've sent trusts to you both. Their CS has been good when I've contacted them, switch happened fine and renewal price was acceptable after the first year. They recently redid their website which is way slicker on mobile than it was before. They also sorted out a Smart Meter (if that's your thing) but I declined it

Soldato
Trust incoming.

Sorry for the late message. I did receive your code, and I tried to enter it on their site, but it wasn't playing ball. In the end, I ended up going through Uswitch for the order, which worked. So, I am not sure the referral was processed. Once I'm fully set up, I will email them to ask if the referral was processed on their site - I suspect not but nothing to lose.

Permabanned
I've been trying to compare tariffs but they all seem to want a bunch of personal information so they can spam me or do god-knows-what with it.

What I want is a big spreadsheet, with every available tariff, so I can sort the table and see which is cheaper.

Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

Back
Top Bottom