Energy Suppliers

Associate
Well this is going to be not nice when it kicks once my current fix ends on 28th Feb closely followed up by another massive hike once the price cap gets renewed.

Elec:
Unit rate 20.391p per kWh from 14.881p
Standing charge 24.86p per day from 18.83p

Gas:
Unit rate 4.010p per kWh from 2.504p
Standing charge 26.11p per day from 13.77p

Soldato
Just got my first bill through having been taken over form British Gas. It's about £550 for the last 3 month period, but unfortunately they've estimated the elec by about half. The real bill should be about £850. So that's about £283 per month combined. I used to pay about £170 a month.
My tariff used to be about 13p elec and it's now 19.695
Gas tarif is now 3.97 can't remember what it was
:(

Caporegime
Just got my first bill through having been taken over form British Gas. It's about £550 for the last 3 month period, but unfortunately they've estimated the elec by about half. The real bill should be about £850. So that's about £283 per month combined. I used to pay about £170 a month.
My tariff used to be about 13p elec and it's now 19.695
Gas tarif is now 3.97 can't remember what it was
:(

Likely to be over 400 come April :(

My bill was massively over estimated. Going to get a smart meter to stop all this estimating issues

Just noticed that's Per month!!

Soldato
Am I reading this right.... people believe the current prices on British gas 19.695 elec and 3.970 gas are going to go up in April by about 50%?!
So they will become about 30p elec and 6p gas?
On what basis are people saying this?

Soldato
The price cap is based on historic wholesale prices over the previous 6 months. There is a set formula, it’s not difficult to work out if you are so inclined.

The reason all the consumer watchdog sites are ‘estimating’ is because they are not the ones actually determining the cap so they can’t say for definite is will be X but they can sure know where it will probably land without any other intervention.

Associate
My fix is just about to come to an end :(

15.527p with a 17.502 standing charge for electricity
2.687p with a 13.89 standing charge for gas.

When the new price cap comes into force in April I will be facing a 104% increase to Electricity and 76% increase to Gas if the new cap figure is to be believed.

For comparison BG offered a lovely fixed deal of 34.206p for electricity and 7.382p for gas.....

Times are getting hard out there!

Associate
Am I reading this right.... people believe the current prices on British gas 19.695 elec and 3.970 gas are going to go up in April by about 50%?!
Because this is my current fix, on British gas, sadly:
Elec:
32.65p per kWh
23.86p per day

Gas:
9.33p per kWh
14.24p per day

Caporegime

Yes. Looking likely if you're not already on a fix.

Associate
Is now the time to be looking into getting solar panels? if prices like this are going to become the norm the ROI will surely come faster...

I am seriously considering it at this point.

Soldato
Is now the time to be looking into getting solar panels? if prices like this are going to become the norm the ROI will surely come faster...

I am seriously considering it at this point.

I thought solar had had its day in the UK in terms of ROI because all of the incentives and grants you could get have all gone away so the start up costs become too high? Also if you have a particularly bad year, you can be getting minimal strong sunlight here. I'd like to be wrong though. The pitch of our roof is East and West, but we have an outbuilding shed which has a flat ish but slightly angled south facing part and we also have a dormer roof (loft conversion) which is a flat roof, so assume this would be suitable. Not something I ever looked into seriously. Maybe I should.

Soldato
I've been living abroad for the last few years and have recently returned home so been living with family. Wheres the best place to start looking for a supplier? I'm moving into an electric only apartment next week and haven't had to scope out suppliers in god knows how long and all this talk of price hikes and price caps I don't know where to start.

Soldato
I've been living abroad for the last few years and have recently returned home so been living with family. Wheres the best place to start looking for a supplier? I'm moving into an electric only apartment next week and haven't had to scope out suppliers in god knows how long and all this talk of price hikes and price caps I don't know where to start.

Do nothing, just take over the supply that is already there and you’ll be automatically put on the capped rate which is the best at the moment.

Don’t agree to fix or sign up with a sub brand as someone else got tricked into doing a few weeks ago.

Back
Top Bottom