Energy Suppliers

Nearly same as me.
I also fixed in October until August 2024 with Scottish Power. My tariff is a about 0.1p a unit more expensive. In hindsight definitely the right decision.

These prices might last years
Or it might even get worse

These will most likely be the new prices going forward, don't expect them to drop back (they may settle a little bit but more likely to keep rising) same for diesel/petrol food etc, that's inflation and a constant strive for growth and profits for you.

These will most likely be the new prices going forward, don't expect them to drop back (they may settle a little bit but more likely to keep rising) same for diesel/petrol food etc, that's inflation and a constant strive for growth and profits for you.
Not looking forward to seeing what 2024 has in store. 3 year was longest fix I could get

Interesting post on outfox the market on Facebook, if you use 100% renewable (which must on be the leccy), why is the cost of the leccy going up.
i asked a few pages back. Basically 100% green energy is a myth.

There is no way to separate the energy you pay for from the energy production facility that is closest to you (multiple points of origin for production all feed into the same grid), Although your provider may purchase 100% renewable the feed to your property will be from the nearest power station, Unless you fancy installing hundreds of miles of cables to the nearest hydro/solar/wind array directly to your property then you have no chance of this ever being a thing.

There is no way to separate the energy you pay for from the energy production facility that is closest to you (multiple points of origin for production all feed into the same grid), Although your provider may purchase 100% renewable the feed to your property will be from the nearest power station, Unless you fancy installing hundreds of miles of cables to the nearest hydro/solar/wind array directly to your property then you have no chance of this ever being a thing.
Err, that’s actually how it works - if I go to a green supplier and buy electricity from them, they put that energy into the grid in one location I take it out in another. It’s all the same grid the length of the country.

The problem with green electricity is that they still need to cover for supplying you when there’s no wind by paying for conventional base load and over supplying when there is wind.

I think it's more of a promise that they'll make or buy that much green energy based on what you used, but I never understood why they tried to sell people these tariffs that cost more just because they're green.

You'd think that they should be providing as much green energy as possible anyway just for the sake of progress and also sustainability, why people want to pay more when they get the same energy from the same grid I'll never know.

For the record I think green energy is a good thing and we should make as much of it centrally as possible.

Err, that’s actually how it works - if I go to a green supplier and buy electricity from them, they put that energy into the grid in one location I take it out in another. It’s all the same grid the length of the country.

The problem with green electricity is that they still need to cover for supplying you when there’s no wind by paying for conventional base load and over supplying when there is wind.

Your energy comes from the closest source, in my case based on my geographic location my power comes from Hinckley point nuclear power station.

My supplier might buy green energy with the money I give them but the energy I consume is from nuclear i.e. not green sourced.

Your energy comes from the closest source, in my case based on my geographic location my power comes from Hinckley point nuclear power station.

My supplier might buy green energy with the money I give them but the energy I consume is from nuclear i.e. not green sourced.
Electricity isn't like water, it doesn't flow in and the flow out at the closest point - generators put energy into the grid, unless there's operational reasons to isolate particular sections of the grid, all a user is doing is taking energy out of the grid. The energy isn't traceable to any particular generator.

Electricity isn't like water, it doesn't flow in and the flow out at the closest point - generators put energy into the grid, unless there's operational reasons to isolate particular sections of the grid, all a user is doing is taking energy out of the grid. The energy isn't traceable to any particular generator.
Go on explain my job of 22 years to me again then please?

Do you understand how path of least resistance works? Your power is provided to your property by all sources local to you, properties and networks are built using grids and grid isolation so as to not over saturate an area. Sub stations are how each grid is powered and isolated. They receive power from the main national grid that receives power from all sources, your closes source being the point of lease resistance will be the one providing 99% of the energy to your part of the grid.

Last edited:
Go on explain my job of 22 years to me again then please?

Do you understand how path of least resistance works? Your power is provided to your property by all sources local to you, properties and networks are built using grids and grid isolation so as to not over saturate an area. Sub stations are how each gris is powered and isolated. They receive power from the main national grid that receives power from all sources, you closes source being the point of lease resistance will be the one providing 99% of the energy to your part of the grid.
So you think you can tell where your electricity comes from by measuring "something" at the socket?

I'm with Bulb. Monthly payment is 80. Just moved it to 95 and paid 150 off of it as well. As like everything lately, all going up. Hopefully when it gets warmer. It will be a bit better as won't need CH on

Back
Top Bottom