Energy Suppliers

I think a lot of that depends on your lifestyle while WFH.

A laptop and small monitor really doesn't take much to power.

But if you're someone who has the heating on 8 hours a day whilst home, boils a full kettle every few hours, and uses the oven to warm up some lunch, then yes i can imagine costs whilst WFH are going to get rather expensive.

When we first started WFH and the kids were off school as well, our electricity bill was higher than charging the Zoe to drive to work!

But if you're someone who has the heating on 8 hours a day whilst home, boils a full kettle every few hours, and uses the oven to warm up some lunch, then yes i can imagine costs whilst WFH are going to get rather expensive.

But the other side of the coin:

-lunch/drinks etc home cost is dramatically lower for most even if you use the oven and kettle ;)
-commute cost, even though I only pay tax on my fuel its still saving me more than running my central heating for the day, add in car wear and tear and its not even close

FYI, i use a dual monitor setup and a desktop for work and i sometimes heat up my food in the oven.

Or cook on my gas cooker..

heating is off most of the day as my 3090 keeps me warm hehe but my pc only trickles around 120w ish as i am not always doing hardcore compiling. i am mostly writing code and streaming video/music.

I

FYI, i use a dual monitor setup and a desktop for work and i sometimes heat up my food in the oven.

Or cook on my gas cooker..

heating is off most of the day as my 3090 keeps me warm hehe but my pc only trickles around 120w ish as i am not always doing hardcore compiling. i am mostly writing code and streaming video/music.

I
Thought you left the UK?

Eugh. So email through from Octopus about my fix ending in April.

They've offered me their "loyal customer fixed" which is 12 months fix, but pretty much double what I'm paying atm, or British Gas offering a 2 year fix which is ~10% cheaper, but with £75 exit fee per fuel.

Looking at the likely cap prices, it's going to be ~£30/month cheaper than the BG prices to just go on the variable, but obviously there's then the potential for a similar increase in October...

Really have no idea what to do at the moment :(

I made a similar post recently, the advice I have been given by some experts (and backed up by MSE) is to just let your contract roll over to the cap.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense - at least to keep my cheap rate for as long as possible - there's just the concern about what happens in October, are we looking at another £200+/month increase? At which point it goes from "for **** sake" to ", "cold beans on toast for dinner again kids!" (OK, slight exaggeration there, but still...)

Ask the nimbys to stop nimby’in around my way and you might have not had two massive wind farms delayed planning approval by 18 months because some yelled ‘but the environment’.

In reality they didn’t want building work near their house for the onshore interconnect to the grid even though they were burning the cables meters underground instead of big pylons.

Everyone who complains NIMBY about power projects should get £200-300 added to their power bill.

The people nimbying or the people complaining about nimbys?

They are kicking off about Sizewell C, apparently building a new nuclear reactor on the site of an existing one is ‘in the wrong place’.

The people nimbying or the people complaining about nimbys?

They are kicking off about Sizewell C, apparently building a new nuclear reactor on the site of an existing one is ‘in the wrong place’.
The people nimbying
They are benefitting from delay or change in plans of the project at expense of a larger population

Everyone who complains NIMBY about power projects should get £200-300 added to their power bill.
Apply that to brexit and "the brexit tax" a lot of products had added on:p. I think there should be more of a push for solar tiles on new builds, would have made a massive difference imo at the rate houses are put up.

Agree.

10+ years ago all new builds should have had solar to get planning.

Id add solar + battery storage as a requirement for all houses now.

Something I’ve never understood. Many uk suppliers are now 100% renewable but their prices are also doubling. Eh???

It’s because being 100% renewable is a lot of greenwashing.

There is lots of buying and selling credits and is not what get sent to your house via the cables.

The UKs electric is 40% contingent on gas where gas prices rise, a big chunk of the market can no longer supply ‘cheaply’ but the demand is still there so the floor price also rises.

Agree.

10+ years ago all new builds should have had solar to get planning.

Id add solar + battery storage as a requirement for all houses now.

Something I’ve never understood. Many uk suppliers are now 100% renewable but their prices are also doubling. Eh???

As above it's not technically "renewable".

If you purchased a tariff that claimed to be 100% green energy, there's no way of guaranteeing (or even knowing) that the electricity coming in to your house right now was produced from a wind farm or a coal plant.

So my problem with Octopus is what I thought. Instead of charging me from 1st Oct 2021 to 5th Oct 2021 they've charged me to 5th Oct 2022 which incurs 370 days of standing charge @ 22.96p a day equating to £84.95.

Email sent to them, hopefully they'll sort things and it's 3rd time lucky for my final bill.

With Bulb and my bills have been quite expensive last couple months, I seem to be using more electric according to my meter readings

26 Dec 2021 to 27 Jan 2022 £121.84
26 Nov to 25 Dec 2021 £107.03
26 Oct to 25 Nov 2021 £93.04
26 Sep to 25 Oct 2021 £44.74
26 Aug to 25 Sep 2021 £65.10
26 Jul to 25 Aug 2021 £95.56

My own meter readings;
15-Feb-22 38959
06-Jan-22 38441
20-Dec-21 38149
27-Nov-21 37773
24-Oct-21 37395
27-Sep-21 37111
27-Aug-21 36800
26-Jul-21 36479

I have an electric only flat but on the Bulb rate which is flat rate for better or worse.

Anyone here with an electric only boiler that can advise the best way for me to setup that could be more efficient?

When I moved in I set it up on a schedule so the hot water kicks in at like 6.30am-8am, 11.50-12 and then 7-8pm. I have to set 3 times and because neither of us are here during the day I set the middle schedule to be just the smallest I can. So we have hot water for showers in the morning and in the evening basically.

I spoke with someone the other day who said he has his hot water set to "On" all day and his thermostat on the pump itself set to like 80c and that is the most efficient way of doing it. With my schedule its akin to boiling a kettle 3 times a day which uses a ton of electric, seems to make sense but id think running it all day would be worse.

Heating only when you need it by setting it on a timer as you have it is the most efficient way, the same applies to your heating.

You just need to think about the physics of what's happening, its all about heat loss and not heating. The hotter the tank compared to the outside temperature, the quicker is loses heat and its losing heat all the time. Keeping it at maximum temperature when you are not using it will mean its losing more heat than if you only heat it when you need it. That said, with modern highly insulated tanks, the difference isn't huge.

Also set the temperature to as low as you can get away with, 80C hot water is extremely high but don't go below 60C due to the legionella risk.

Set the middle time for 19:00 to 19:30 and the last timer to 19:30 to 20:00 and you get rid of that time heating it in the middle.

Back
Top Bottom