Energy Suppliers

Bizarrely I'm in a new build and the water temp is set at 48c on tank and on "check sheet" that too. Don't get it as water very hot definitely over 60c

It's a joule hot water tank it also has an energy rating sticker on side which I don't get ! Says 58w

Untitled.png

:rolleyes:

I would like to see a statement from the energy companies to justify some of the high standing charge rates as I can't see where they come from.

My current daily standing charge rate is 7p for each gas and electric (fixed 18 months ago). The current one, if it ended now, is around 26p, almost a 4x increase.

Can anyone explain this?

If it's to offset a bigger unit rate then that's wrong and should be banned. I'd rather a higher unit rate and lower daily rate, especially coming into the warmer months.

I received a letter from Shell yesterday, preparing for the worst I sat down before opening it :D

A cheque for £160*, winner! and no gas bill, double winner!

So far I haven't paid for gas since September and no-one seems to want to take ownership of my account. I was mid switch between green and avro when they both went bust on the same day, octopus took over my electricity as that had already switched but it seems my gas supply hadn't completed. I've been taking meter readings and once a month putting the money owed for the gas bill into a vanguard isa, we shall see how long it takes for someone to catch up with me, either that or I've got free gas for life :D

*My credit balance when green went bump.

I received a letter from Shell yesterday, preparing for the worst I sat down before opening it :D

A cheque for £160*, winner! and no gas bill, double winner!

So far I haven't paid for gas since September and no-one seems to want to take ownership of my account. I was mid switch between green and avro when they both went bust on the same day, octopus took over my electricity as that had already switched but it seems my gas supply hadn't completed. I've been taking meter readings and once a month putting the money owed for the gas bill into a vanguard isa, we shall see how long it takes for someone to catch up with me, either that or I've got free gas for life :D

*My credit balance when green went bump.
I take it you're only recording the meter readings and not actually submitting them to Octopus?

I'd speak to Octopus about your gas supply and ask their advice on your next step. It will fair better for you if you're seen as attempting to put things right, although you shouldn't really have to.

Ocotopus not set me up for billing. Was meant to switch to avro on 29th sept

bad timing really as should have gone with a bigger company at the time for a year fix

I take it you're only recording the meter readings and not actually submitting them to Octopus?

I'd speak to Octopus about your gas supply and ask their advice on your next step. It will fair better for you if you're seen as attempting to put things right, although you shouldn't really have to.

Octopus have said the gas wasn't switched over to avro so should be picked up by shell as they were green customers solr. I've not had any sense out of shell and I'm not wasting my time sorting it out, the money will sit there until someone asks for it, or not if I'm really lucky :D

Photo of the meter dropped into a folder and I've a spread sheet that calculates the kWh from the meter reading and gives me a daily figure and total owed based on current prices

I would like to see a statement from the energy companies to justify some of the high standing charge rates as I can't see where they come from.

My current daily standing charge rate is 7p for each gas and electric (fixed 18 months ago). The current one, if it ended now, is around 26p, almost a 4x increase.

Can anyone explain this?

If it's to offset a bigger unit rate then that's wrong and should be banned. I'd rather a higher unit rate and lower daily rate, especially coming into the warmer months.

There has been an increase in fixed network costs per household and its becoming more costly to keep our aging network running, that with the fact that storms are levelling power lines ona regular basis this last year or so increases costs. Plus some of the increase is to offset the likes of bulb which is now gov ran. A lot of the costs for the standing charge arent set by the supplier but by the network in whichever area you live in.

Regarding your prices, you should have never been on 7p standing charge as its stupid and your supplier is offsetting that elsewhere to offer you an attractive deal so they are losing money on your daily Standing charge. Actions like this is why nearly 30 suppliers have gone under in the last year. Charges need to be comparible with costs.

Octopus have sent me our estimate for the new yearly bill and its more than double. All electric, do have some solar panels for hot water.

Ours has always been very cheap, bit under £1000 for the year, been paying £69 a month which was a fixed rate. This normally had us in credit (last two months only we had to pay extra) when the heating goes on then its up to £110, but generally the £69 was enough, like I said only the last 2 months we had to pay a bit extra

Now they want either £99 variable, £170 fixed or £150 fixed loyal thing and estimate its going to be £2100

Dont now if they have made a mistake or just taking the ****.

Those prices would you say just go with the variable for now? and see how it goes as you can always change plan with this

I fixed last September until December 2023 (Scottish Power). I thought after with all the panic and advice to sit still that maybe I had made a huge mistake (the news started panicking literally a day or 2 after I fixed). Elec 23.1p/kwh and 25p standing, Gas 5.07p/kwh and 21p standing. With hindsight may have just be damn lucky!

Nearly same as me.
I also fixed in October until August 2024 with Scottish Power. My tariff is a about 0.1p a unit more expensive. In hindsight definitely the right decision.

These prices might last years
Or it might even get worse

Back
Top Bottom