Energy Suppliers

Got the dreaded email through:

Electricity: £283.20 increase
Gas: £734.57 increase

With E.ON Next on their Next Flex tariff. Had a look at our use of energy last year, slight shock at using just under 10,000 kWh of gas for around 2 months this time last winter. That's supposedly what an average household of 2 use in a year. I'll recheck the figures but that seems rather high for a household of 3. Much more reasonable for same period this winter.

Plugged our numbers into a comparison site and all other providers/tariffs were higher than our price increase with E.ON. Think we need to get a smart meter/timer for our heating.

With E.ON Next on their Next Flex tariff. Had a look at our use of energy last year, slight shock at using just under 10,000 kWh of gas for around 2 months this time last winter. That's supposedly what an average household of 2 use in a year. I'll recheck the figures but that seems rather high for a household of 3. Much more reasonable for same period this winter.

Plugged our numbers into a comparison site and all other providers/tariffs were higher than our price increase with E.ON. Think we need to get a smart meter/timer for our heating.

10,000kwh of gas is a crazy amount! No way in hell you have had you heading at 90° for the last 2 months, even then it still would not use that much!

I've seen grow dens use less energy!

Family of 4 here 3 bed house one bath gas cooking and central heating and we average 2000khw per year!

Mine is the same. I was expecting a rise but not this much. My current deal runs out at end of March. Going from a projected £1500 a year to £3000. My monthly bill will go up from £120 to £260.

All comparison websites are saying they have nothing to offer me. I will stay on the monthly tariff and weather the storm I guess.

Looks like it is going to be a tough few years for all around.

10,000kwh of gas is a crazy amount! No way in hell you have had you heading at 90° for the last 2 months, even then it still would not use that much!

Family of 4 here 3 bed house one bath gas cooking and central heating and we average 2000khw per year!

I use around 2000-2500kwh gas a month during winter months!. That's with 3 people (2 of those are in their 70's and feel the cold a lot), house in use all day, 4 bed, 2 showers, gas central heating, gas hob, temp is set 21 degrees pretty much from 6.30am to 10.30pm.

I knew my wife and mother-in-law love the heating but not this much :D. Total gas use for 2021 was ~26,000 kWh. Think we paid £188pm during 2021 and seemingly have £250 credit at the moment.

Are you missing a zero there or did you mean per month?

2000kwh for space and water heating over a year is nothing for a normal house. I’d expect it to be in the 10,000-13,000kwh range for the year on average.

Space heating is obviously impacted by the size, age and type of property. A small modern mid terrace is going to be a lot cheaper to heat than a large 1950s detached property that’s had limited updates to its insulation, windows etc. The number of people only really impacts water heating which is a much smaller component.

5000kwh a month on the other hand is really really high. @doodah do you have any insulation at all? It’s not even been that cold this year, particularly in the south east.

I'm assuming you are mixing metric and imperial units.

500m3 is a typical usage, 2000kwh not so much! (for reference, your meter reports in m3).

It's electricity in a wire, also known as the national grid, it comes from whatever is generating closest to you at the time. You can't make the charge come from a wind farm on the east coast if you live in the south-west next to a nuclear power station. When my solar panels are generating my closet source is my roof, but if they aren't generating enough they add the rest from the battery, or the grid, and if taking from the grid I have no say in what the source supply is, just that I get a stable(ish) 230v at 50Hz and that is corrected and balanced in real time based on demand and connected generation.

Does that mean if my neighbour wasn't using all the energy produced by his solar panels and was exporting to the National Grid I would get their solar energy?

For reference my meter reports in kWh, see my posts above it inspect my pedigree, metering and supply is my daily job

But 2000kwh/year for a house connected to mains gas is VERY low for a house with gas C/H and hot water, assuming you aren't topping up with electric heating via ASHP or A/C.

The average gas useage for a household profile like yours is much closer to 20000kwh, not 2000.

my last bill from April 1st to October 31st 836Kwh, yes its a summer period. My winter bill will be around 1400kwh, thats two adults and two under 10 in a three bed Semi detached 1930's house, fully renovated and insulated, Gas hob, Gas CHB, electric shower.

Does that mean if my neighbour wasn't using all the energy produced by his solar panels and was exporting to the National Grid I would get their solar energy?
in essence yes, in theory maybe, energy added back to the grid will be available to anyone within proximity of the source.

If i go to get a key meter load up a years worth gas/ele before april will i avoid the price increase if i do not put any money in april ?
Yes and no.

Yes doing this could avoid the rate increase.

No because no provider will install a key based meter only smart Pay as you go.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom