Energy Suppliers

But 2000kwh/year for a house connected to mains gas is VERY low for a house with gas C/H and hot water, assuming you aren't topping up with electric heating via ASHP or A/C.

The average gas useage for a household profile like yours is much closer to 20000kwh, not 2000.
Yeah something doesn't add up there, I have gas for CH & HW (but not cooking) and use 6-7k a year on my own in a 2 bed house!

Apologies if already posted but found this useful..

Last edited:
Yeah something doesn't add up there, I have gas for CH & HW (but not cooking) and use 6-7k a year on my own in a 2 bed house!

Indeed, looking at my usage when the heating isn't being used, for 1 person I'd be at 1,700 - 2,000K a year with a combi on demand boiler.
Heating adds 7,000 - 10,000 Kwh to that depending on how bad the winter is.

Also the cap is based on 12,000 Kwh of gas usage, the average usage is for people that had gas heating is around that level.

I use around 2000-2500kwh gas a month during winter months!. That's with 3 people (2 of those are in their 70's and feel the cold a lot), house in use all day, 4 bed, 2 showers, gas central heating, gas hob, temp is set 21 degrees pretty much from 6.30am to 10.30pm.

Yeah that'll definitely be expensive to maintain the temperature at 21C for 16 hours a day.

Probably via the most unfair method possible, takes no account of ability to pay. You have said what I said really, its effectively a tax.

It pretty much is a tax, but isn't fairly shared. I.e. a 6 bed house will likely have the same SC rates as a 1 bed flat in the same area.

I get what he is saying by stay on the price cap but surely with Ukraine and gas etc and uncertain times a 2 year fix is better the devil you know?

I think it's certainly a gamble people need to decide on. If you can get a tariff with no exit fees then you're winning, because if the prices do magically decrease, then you can bail and find a new tariff.

Just submitted readings to Octopus (genuine ones! :p) and my account is in credit by £212 with another payment of £106 due next week. Clearly we’ve been set too high on the DD so I’m hoping for a not too severe rise.

I assume the advice not to fix and instead move into variable. The fix terms deals have since dried up and many would have been better of fixing. no one has a crystal ball though.

But wasn’t the advice based on if you fixed then (there has always been fixes available, they just cost £lol), you pay more because you give up nearly 6 months of paying a considerably lower rate even if you will be paying below the new SVR from April.

Wasn’t it also also caveated in that he said ‘for most people’ or something like that and more recently he said don’t fix if the offer is ‘X%’ above the cap?

Just noticed if you pick a random address in uSwitch energy comparison, the first loading bar tells you the name of your current supplier. It is pulls your current tariff and annual usage. Perfect if you want to launch a social engineering scam.

How was the advice wrong in October?

In hindsight there were cheaper deals than the coming cap especially if you think the price cap is going up further in October.

There were 3 year deals with no exit fees lower than the April price cap.
There was also cashback freely available.

I'm definitely not criticising as no one knew. But it just goes to show that advice is just that and no one really knows.

I just didn't want to take the chance on uncontrollable rises. Myself, I was much happier on a fix for a hundred more over one winter than a potential uncontrollable rise in gas prices.

That was the risk.
There was only 100 pounds burn if the fix wasn't worth it.

In hindsight there were cheaper deals than the coming cap especially if you think the price cap is going up further in October.

There were 3 year deals with no exit fees lower than the April price cap.
There was also cashback freely available.

I'm definitely not criticising as no one knew. But it just goes to show that advice is just that and no one really knows.

I just didn't want to take the chance on uncontrollable rises. Myself, I was much happier on a fix for a few hundred more than a potential uncontrollable rise in gas prices.
I don’t think anyone expected Putin to ‘peacekeep’ Eastern Ukraine and the resultant rise in all forms of fuel.

I don’t think anyone expected Putin to ‘peacekeep’ Eastern Ukraine and the resultant rise in all forms of fuel.

But its not just that. Fuel hasn't really gone down irrespective of that. If anything its just going to make things much worse. I didn't really see any significant reduction in last 6 months.

I made an edit to my quoted post.
The gamble was 100 pounds off loss vs potential big savings.

Just noticed if you pick a random address in uSwitch energy comparison, the first loading bar tells you the name of your current supplier. It is pulls your current tariff and annual usage. Perfect if you want to launch a social engineering scam.

That’s bad, and yes it’s a security risk.

Does anyone fancy spamming the usual consumer watchdogs on the twitters? (I don’t have it!)

Wasn't the advice to go with SVR at the time because they can only increase by X% up to X amount? So it'd take a good year or two for you to 'hit max'?

I think it was because "surely it can't go up again"
Or
"this is a temporary blip"

It's always been known how the cap works. It can go up any percent. It just lags the market.

Back
Top Bottom