Energy Suppliers

Funnily enough since posting, had the email through from octopus regarding what will happen from the 1st to the 2nd of April on variable

Screenshot-20220308-195839.png

Screenshot-20220308-200020.png

Just bought a smart plug so I can check a few things round the house as we seem to use about 10kwh a day. Washer is not too bad, at about 0 5kwh for a wash. The Tumbler however has been using a constant 1.5kw:eek:.

Just bought a smart plug so I can check a few things round the house as we seem to use about 10kwh a day. Washer is not too bad, at about 0 5kwh for a wash. The Tumbler however has been using a constant 1.5kw:eek:.
But it is adding 1.5 kw of heat to your home. (If it's not venting out side) :D

lol why do you have a dryer? just air dry your clothes!

Not only are you ******* away money but it can ruin yor clothes like that

I should think most people have a tumble dryer tbh. If you haven't noticed it rains a lot here, and not everyone wants the house to look like a laundry 24/7
Cross-reference this post with those whinging about the unaffordability of energy and you find the most entitled cross section of society :D

I am distinctly comfortable but even I wouldn't waste cash on a tumble drier when an air dryer is perfectly fine. I have a washer dryer that has been used to dry maybe once.

What are people's thoughts on Utility Warehouse as a supplier?

Can get a fixed rate at 7.7p for Gas and 35p for electric, fixed until Feb 2023. Standing charges are pretty low in comparison to a lot of other providers.

Only catch is you need to also bundle in your broadband and mobile to get the fixed rate as a package deal.

Electric higher than April cap rate so will cost more in the first six months, but with another painful rise likely in October at least it gives some surety right at the point most people start turning on the heating.

Aware we'd need a crystal ball, but does anybody think we are on for over 10p for gas and over 40p for electric as the cap rate in October?

Obviously come the end of the fix next Feb, back at square one.

Broadband is an 18 month contract so not sure how it works if you switch utility provider at the end of the 12 months, perhaps you can just keep the broadband and phone going at the agreed contract rates.

For me, it works out at 300 month for 4500kwh electric, 18000kwh gas, 76mb broadband, landline and a 5gb SIM.

I should think most people have a tumble dryer tbh. If you haven't noticed it rains a lot here, and not everyone wants the house to look like a laundry 24/7

We opt for air/indoor drying clothes rather than using a tumble dryer. I suppose I could understand a family of 4-5 who has the washing machine going once a day would find it a nightmare over winter to dry everything.

What are people's thoughts on Utility Warehouse as a supplier?

Can get a fixed rate at 7.7p for Gas and 35p for electric, fixed until Feb 2023. Standing charges are pretty low in comparison to a lot of other providers.

Only catch is you need to also bundle in your broadband and mobile to get the fixed rate as a package deal.

Electric higher than April cap rate so will cost more in the first six months, but with another painful rise likely in October at least it gives some surety right at the point most people start turning on the heating.

Aware we'd need a crystal ball, but does anybody think we are on for over 10p for gas and over 40p for electric as the cap rate in October?

Obviously come the end of the fix next Feb, back at square one.

Broadband is an 18 month contract so not sure how it works if you switch utility provider at the end of the 12 months, perhaps you can just keep the broadband and phone going at the agreed contract rates.

For me, it works out at 300 month for 4500kwh electric, 18000kwh gas, 76mb broadband, landline and a 5gb SIM.

Do they actually own the supply or were they just middle men signing you up for other contracts. I'd look at the mobile and broadband plans as you may find they're more expensive than the competition.

Do they actually own the supply or were they just middle men signing you up for other contracts. I'd look at the mobile and broadband plans as you may find they're more expensive than the competition.

I believe they own the supply, apparently they used to be a telecoms company only but acquired some npower subsidiaries a few years ago (some deal they had), so as far as I know everything is in house with them.

Broadband is 27.50 month, and a 5gb sim is 12 quid or 18 for unlimited, so not too bad.

Is anybody here with them, or have any inside knowledge if they are a contender for going under?

Don't want to inadvertently cause myself more pain, but it'll be a comfort to know that over most of next winter would be paying similar to the incoming cap rate (as ridiculous as this sounds), and potentially a fair bit less when the October rise inevitably comes.

Last edited:
Sorry should have mention I only tumble dry towels, as the mrs re kons they dry like cardboard otherwise (also being towels it ***** up washing for the week as they take so long to dry). Going to be sad and light a few things but so far ive got:

• Washer uses 0.5kwh, probably used every other day. Rough yearly cost is about 30 quid.
  • Tumbler uses 1.5kwh per hour of use, probably used 4 hours a week.
  • Gaming on ps5 uses about 400w (TV, amp various other things on TV stand), that's used maybe 15 hours a week use.
  • Just wat hang the same TV with no ps5 on is about 300w and that can be 6 hours a day.
Going to check my electric rad, my pc and our dishwasher as I'm struggling to see how I'm averaging 10kwh a day. My Mrs helpfully suggested the led lights (which get switched off when not in a room), or phones being charged, she got annoyed when I said they were in the noise:cry:.

Going to check my electric rad, my pc and our dishwasher as I'm struggling to see how I'm averaging 10kwh a day. My Mrs helpfully suggested the led lights (which get switched off when not in a room), or phones being charged, she got annoyed when I said they were in the noise:cry:.

I assume you buy takeaway all of the time, or people bring hot food for you, or everything you eat is cold? You've not mentioned, oven, microwave, air fryer, hob, steamer, or any other kitchen gadget. :D :p

Back
Top Bottom