Energy Suppliers

he had a look today at what they could offer and the unit prices were ridiculous 53p for electric and 17p gas I think. Said his monthly dd would go to £900! They do waste energy though so could cut that in half I bet but still it’s behind a joke now.

Well he could probably make most of that back given the amount of plants he must be growing.

BG are currently quoting me on a variable Elec: 48.18 standing charge, 27.86 per unit. Gas: 27.22 standing charge, 7.37 per unit.

Massive increase vs my prior fix, the huge uplift in standing charge cheeses me off the most, we run a large hot tub all year round along with loads of other stuff so quite high electricity users.

Well he could probably make most of that back given the amount of plants he must be growing.

BG are currently quoting me on a variable Elec: 48.18 standing charge, 27.86 per unit. Gas: 27.22 standing charge, 7.37 per unit.

Massive increase vs my prior fix, the huge uplift in standing charge cheeses me off the most, we run a large hot tub all year round along with loads of other stuff so quite high electricity users.
Is it going to be a knock on effect, cost of cannabis doubles:cry:.

Doesn't this actually work in the favour of higher energy users? If you're running a hot tub etc then units are the killer, so if the standing charge is up but units are kept (relatively) slightly lower... not sure how to run the numbers on that though :p

Standing charging is what £70 a year increase. Hardly a big issue versus the unit rate. Especially if you crazy enough to run a hot tub all year.

I fixed to avro 29th sep. They went bust 26th. I still haven’t had the final bill in my octopus and balance is £0. I’m currently not paying octopus anything either.

anyone else also stuck in limbo ?

Doesn't this actually work in the favour of higher energy users? If you're running a hot tub etc then units are the killer, so if the standing charge is up but units are kept (relatively) slightly lower... not sure how to run the numbers on that though :p

Usually yes, i've always gone for a higher standing charge and lower cost per unit.

But in this case both have gone up so much it becomes almost irrelevant.

Usually yes, i've always gone for a higher standing charge and lower cost per unit.

But in this case both have gone up so much it becomes almost irrelevant.
Only just two year ago I had standing charge of 5p on both gas and electric. Now it has gone bonkers and who knows it may get worse yet.

I fixed to avro 29th sep. They went bust 26th. I still haven’t had the final bill in my octopus and balance is £0. I’m currently not paying octopus anything either.

anyone else also stuck in limbo ?

We were for a few months, by the time Shell caught up our first bill was £640. It was to cover the months we didn't pay, obviously, I was just briefly shocked when I saw the figure! We're back to normal now, well as much as we can be.

Eon Next online V12 and Sainsburys Smooth Renew V12 got pulled last night and replaced with a new tarrif (V13 for each) which is fixing at £2700 per year at Ofgem average consumption due to the huge increase in gas prices again. In the next few days its expected that all sales tarrifs will temporarily be removed from the website for the forseeable future due to the volatility of the prices and the fixed tarrifs changing so frequently. Staff have been actively told to push back on new customer enquiries and advising them to stay with their current supplier.

Checked what octopus can do over the last few days..

One day £162, next day £151, today £177 but for only 10 months.

Weird times.

Probably going to risk staying variable

Screenshot-20220306-095134.png

Screenshot-20220307-181206.png

Screenshot-20220308-182800.png

Monthly figures are irrelevant, you need to just know the kWh pricing and the standing charge costs.
Ahh yeah true. I guess no matter what, everyone is in the same boat. Is there a consensus to suggest staying variable is the way to go? Or are people fixing at these current rates. I guess no one really knows

Current variable rate
Screenshot-20220308-191719.png

Offered fix
Screenshot-20220308-191727.png

So the variable is currently much better but then as soon as April rolls round that will shoot up?

Lol 12p gas

Variable goes up 54% for average user. But the standing is going up a lot more % wise so need to see what April going to be. Still less than anything there

standing 24>44p a day(ish) for each

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom