Energy Suppliers

Well it looks as though EDF are pumping out their emails notifying customers of the price increase, as I've received mine this afternoon. :(

Using their figures, my electric is increasing by just over 42%, while the gas is increasing by just over 61%.

My own (far more accurate) figures reveal that my electric will increase by just over 41%, while gas increases by just over 59%.

So that's my direct debit increasing by nearly 48%. Grim. :(

Last edited:
I shudder to think of what some bills people will be facing at the end of the year. I recall a few posters were paying £200-250 a month two years ago when the rates were low. Must now be looking at closer to 500 a month.

I don't know how some spend so much at the minute it's costing us about £120 a month and were hardly holding back.
Depends what you have in your house - add a couple of tropical fish tanks (£500+ a year to run) and an EV (£1200 for 10k miles on a standard tariff) and that’s £150 a month just to use those. [Obviously this means there is no fuel bill for the car]

Also, we were paying about £120 a month on our previous fix, but’s it’s increasing to £280 from this month with the price increases.

Do you have an EV?

If you don't have an EV, 6k Kwh is seriously excessive (double the average household). If you do have an EV, separate your car usage and plug it into something like Octopus Go.

Just leave the gas on the SVR with the current supplier.
No ev 4 kids with tumble dryer on a lot

For those without EVs I bet someone in their household is crypto mining or something.
That would make sense.
I mean we have a 1 year old and 4 year old so wedding machine and dryer are on every other day. Heating on 24/7, as the wife is at home all day.

That would make sense.
I mean we have a 1 year old and 4 year old so wedding machine and dryer are on every other day. Heating on 24/7, as the wife is at home all day.

:p:D

6000kwh is a lot. People must have really power hungry white goods if they don't have an EV or mine.

:p:D

6000kwh is a lot. People must have really power hungry white goods if they don't have an EV or mine.

This basically, it really is double the average household and adding extra people doesn’t increase consumption proportionally.

It’s certainly time to take a long hard look at what you are actually consuming.

This basically, it really is double the average household and adding extra people doesn’t increase consumption proportionally.

It’s certainly time to take a long hard look at what you are actually consuming.
Yea when you look at it, I'd have thought it would be quite hard to use ghat much electricity. I reckon my ev is going to cost me about 600 quid a year but that's at 17p (didn't think about night rates when I fixed, as didn't have an electric car). I think when I'm gaming on my pc and there's a console in use our house usage is only around a kw or so, and that's with a gtx 1080 so not a low end card (although old now). Thats probably only for maybe 3 hours a day max so not a lot in the grand scheme of things.

For the guys asking about maxing out credit on your prepay meter, looks like you're good to go.

Max credit on old key type prepay meter is £150 DO NOT exceed this value or your credit will be lost. What you can do is put £150 on the meter then top up again by £150 and leave it on the key until it is run down

Smart meter has stopped working again, really regret getting one.

What? Regret what? Having potentially more accurate billing? Understanding your usage better?

Smart meters are a thing of the future, get use to is, there will be no replace my broken SM with a legacy meter come 2025. From January 1st 2025 legacy meters are special case only items.

If your SM has stopped reporting speak to your supplier via online chat if the cannot reboot it remotely the. Will schedule and engineer to do a reset. If that does not resolve the a replacement will be installed. The same as if it was a legacy meter...

So I take it is just best taking the hump and fix for 1 year? As with everything that is going on it is bound to get worse not better.

What is best? I honestly don't know, I work in the Industry I hear lots from the hedgers and people running the numbers but even they are not holding out much hope for the next few years.

Not really sure what we should do. Currently Octopus Variable.

I upped our DD to £100, was £65 before the last hike.

Fixing now at another massive increase seems painful but is this the suggested thing to do at the moment? This is the current offer.

Screenshot-20220306-095128.png

Screenshot-20220306-095134.png

Screenshot-20220306-095150.png

I checked a few weeks ago and it was about £150 to fix so changed since then.

Fixing is so much higher than then energy cap then I think it’s worth staying on cap. Who knows in October but really got to think about energy use now. Heating lower jumpers on etc

Fixing is so much higher than then energy cap then I think it’s worth staying on cap. Who knows in October but really got to think about energy use now. Heating lower jumpers on etc
We've been broken down
To the lowest turn
Bein' on the bottom line
Sure ain't no fun
But if we should be evicted
Huh, from our homes
We'll just move somewhere else
And still carry on
Oh
(Hold on) hold on
(Hold on) hold on
Ooh, aah, baby
hold on
(Hold on) ooh ooh aah
The only way is up

Given the current Gas prices are at an all time high, higher than Decembers horrific highs, the future for Gas in Sept/Oct are horrific. Expect at least a 25-30% jump in Octobers review.

Future contracts for April (Next month) are hitting horrific highs.

Fridays performance:

n8j2isE.png

3 Month performance using Aprils Futures:

RaEr5cb.png

Q3 Futures as of close on Friday (obviously this can change over the next 4-5 months):

wlRyhg6.png

Thankfully my brother in law signed up to a new fixed tariff last month, was going to just go on the cap when his deal run out but Scottish power called him to offer him a loyalty tariff.

Electric
22.1p standing
27.5 unit

Gas
22.1 standing
7p unit

he had a look today at what they could offer and the unit prices were ridiculous 53p for electric and 17p gas I think. Said his monthly dd would go to £900! They do waste energy though so could cut that in half I bet but still it’s behind a joke now.

Had my neighbours moaning this morning about their energy bills, she said they can’t afford the increase and have had to cut back. other expense’s. Another increase will hurt them pretty bad.

Back
Top Bottom