Energy Suppliers

@chrcoluk

If you're with Octopus, from their web portal click on "explore my energy use", once there scroll to the very bottom of the page and click on
"old consumption dashboard", there you will find all your half hour readings/usage.

If it is showing up there you're good.

Luckily my smart gas meter has packed in.

What is a reasonable number to enter for my gas meter reading? :D

You know what the process is?
I wager some graduate with an Excel has to do some bodging of IMSI data onto several portals, all in different formats, then he crosses his fingers and logs off for the day.

@chrcoluk

If you're with Octopus, from their web portal click on "explore my energy use", once there scroll to the very bottom of the page and click on
"old consumption dashboard", there you will find all your half hour readings/usage.

If it is showing up there you're good.

Dont see a explore my energy use button sadly.

My electric has the new meter added, which says no readings yet, the gas is still only showing the old meter.

Smart meter is in, but need to wait two weeks apparently before it starts working.

Is there a chance it will be quicker?
What?? why would it take two weeks, I can install one and have it reporting back straight away. Whats the reason they gave you for it not working instantly? Who installed it and for what supplier?

Not sure if anyone will have an answer/advice but can't harm asking.

Octopus are putting our Bill up from £69 fixed a month which we ended up the year in credit, only by £63 but still paid more than we used, up to £190 fixed a month which basically is too much for us.

We had a email a while back saying, do nothing and they would switch us to variable at £99 a month but at the time this had estimates of £150 a month fixed which have obviously change now with the new estimate at £190.

Not phoned them up yet but wanted some advice before I do, would you think that £99 variable is still the price as on our new quote page a variable tariff isnt showing currently and would going on the variable tariff be a good idea, even if its for a few months so we can work something out before the possible more rises in October.

Octopus are putting our Bill up from £69 fixed a month which we ended up the year in credit, only by £63 but still paid more than we used, up to £190 fixed a month which basically is too much for us.

We had a email a while back saying, do nothing and they would switch us to variable at £99 a month but at the time this had estimates of £150 a month fixed which have obviously change now with the new estimate at £190.

Not phoned them up yet but wanted some advice before I do, would you think that £99 variable is still the price as on our new quote page a variable tariff isnt showing currently and would going on the variable tariff be a good idea, even if its for a few months so we can work something out before the possible more rises in October.

Octobers rise will not double again so if the fix they are offering you is nearly double the variable rate for April then don’t take it.

The general consensus is to go to the variable rate when your fix ends as there is nothing remotely attractive in the market right now.

Why not just come off DD and pay quarterly?

Or as has been mentioned a few times recently, move to "variable direct debit" where they bill actual monthly usage, not annual usage / 12. You still get DD discounts if they are offered that way too.

My new Octopus DD was set at over £440/month :eek:

I've manually changed it down to £230. Hoping that will cover it now I've stopped crypto mining. Still absolutely bonkers compared to 18 months ago (~£70/month).

I've manually changed it down to £230. Hoping that will cover it now I've stopped crypto mining. Still absolutely bonkers compared to 18 months ago (~£70/month).

See below.

Octopus want to increase our DD from £96 to £262.28 a month despite the fact their own annual estimates come in at £137.50 per month.

I'll be changing to a variable direct debit rather than fixed.

I just sent them a DM on Twitter yesterday and they changed it to a variable direct debit within 15 minutes.

What?? why would it take two weeks, I can install one and have it reporting back straight away. Whats the reason they gave you for it not working instantly? Who installed it and for what supplier?

It says in the octopus email and on their website.

Now we've installed your smart meter, you're well on your way to saving energy, cutting your bills, and shrinking your carbon footprint.

What happens next?
  1. Now your meter's installed it can take up to 14 days for us to connect to it. Although we always try to connect as quickly as possible, we're reliant on industry processes to connect to your meter, and these can slow things down.

On the device they gave me its basically nothing for all of the data including the live usage bit, just says things like waiting for supplier. When the installer was going through it with me he said the live usage would show as soon as I use electric, but its blank all the time.

Haha thats mental, dont worry lots of people think fixed DD is way to go, I would set that to variable, I have emailed them myself now as well to switch to variable.

I think I'd rather have a reasonably consistent payment rather than a massive spike in Oct. Now is the time for me to build up some credit personally. It's not like Christmas is a cheap time of year too!

All that variable means is he'll pay £220/month for six months and £660/month for the remaining six months lol.

In arrears at least. So the money is in his bank for longer instead of their's and thats assuming they not set it too high, there is someone on here where they set it to double his quoted annual bill. He has admitted he was mining and now stopped so almost certainly they set it too high. :)

In arrears at least. So the money is in his bank for longer instead of their's and thats assuming they not set it too high, there is someone on here where they set it to double his quoted annual bill. He has admitted he was mining and now stopped so almost certainly they set it too high. :)
That's fine but you are giving way too much credit to peoples ability to budget lol.

I think I'd rather have a reasonably consistent payment rather than a massive spike in Oct. Now is the time for me to build up some credit personally. It's not like Christmas is a cheap time of year too!

Conversely I've just gone through winter and I'd overpaid my gas bill by £160 in 3 months due to British Gas "questionable" methods of calculating my gas usage. At least with variable DD I know I'm paying for what I'm using.

Conversely I've just gone through winter and I'd overpaid my gas bill by £160 in 3 months due to British Gas "questionable" methods of calculating my gas usage. At least with variable DD I know I'm paying for what I'm using.
Yep fair enough. I'm with Ovo so can just adjust my DD anyway so not really an issue.

I was on £152 with Octopus, manually changed it up to £250 a few weeks back in anticipation of price rises and get some in the bank so to speak.

They emailed me yesterday and had upped it to just shy of £300 (on SVT) - was easy enough to get on the app and reduce though.

Back
Top Bottom