Energy Suppliers

My smart meter is still not working and British Gas won't fix it. It's only tracking Gas.

I have been giving meter readings but British Gas would only let me raise my DD from £55 to £65 per month. My gas is tracking at about £25-£30 a month but I'm really worried about an astronomical bill coming up.

Most suppliers should have the option for DD whole amount monthly if you don't want to pay estimated monthly values, so you just pay balance in full as you use it.

For some people though I think they'd prefer the same fee each month, I prefer not to leave cash with the energy supplier to build up.

This woudl rely on them pulling their fingers out and fitting smart meters that they can actually use lol

My smart meter is still not working and British Gas won't fix it. It's only tracking Gas.

I have been giving meter readings but British Gas would only let me raise my DD from £55 to £65 per month. My gas is tracking at about £25-£30 a month but I'm really worried about an astronomical bill coming up.
Put it in a savings account and make interest? :confused:

This is prob more interesting for those on prepayment querying if they can preload.

Seems the discussion i was engaged in with bigboy and the point i was making had some merit.

Seems you can backdate a prepayment price change if people try to avoid it.

No you're missing the point the poster was talking about variable direct debit which means you pay for exactly what you use. So the amount you pay is different "variable" each month or quarter. I pay £101.73 for February for instance and £126.85 in January.
This way there is no upping your payments no drama, you just pay what you owe nothing more nothing less.
Does this still qualify you for the direct debit discount of ~6%?

Edit: Just seen that Octopus Energy don't discount for direct debits, so that's good. I don't see why one payment method should benefit from doing so. Another tick for Octopus in my book.

Last edited:
Most suppliers should have the option for DD whole amount monthly if you don't want to pay estimated monthly values, so you just pay balance in full as you use it.

Scottish Power and British Gas both don't. I'm with BG since getting moved to them when PFP stopped trading, they seem to want my monthly DD to increase to £212 even though according to their own figures, I'm not using anywhere near that much energy even during winter. No idea why they can't just let you pay for what you use, it'd be like BT taking a fixed amount per month in case you suddenly start making more phone calls.

Scottish Power and British Gas both don't. I'm with BG since getting moved to them when PFP stopped trading, they seem to want my monthly DD to increase to £212 even though according to their own figures, I'm not using anywhere near that much energy even during winter. No idea why they can't just let you pay for what you use, it'd be like BT taking a fixed amount per month in case you suddenly start making more phone calls.
You have to ask for it, by default they all put you on the fixed monthly payments.

British Gas certainly do offer variable monthly DD - I moved to it myself last week.

Okay what's SOLR?

In any case, Octopus definitely do variable payments.
They do indeed, and that's what I was saying in response to a claim that companies default you to fixed monthly payments. They didn't default me to fixed monthly payments when they became my Supplier of Last Resort.

This suggests other companies may also not default to fixed monthly payments.

Has anyone managed to get their money out of British Gas? I have over a grand in there and I'd rather it be in my savings account until they finally give me a bill.

Morning all. Some good advice from Martin Lewis in the two videos shared @the shadow and @Zenduri . I take it everyone who is currently on a variable rate, and therefore on the market cap, will be wise to take meter readings today before the market cap rise tomorrow. I'm currently on a 12 month fixed deal with Octopus that runs out on the 18th of April so presumably for me I should carry out my meter reading at the end of my fixed tariff before I then go onto the dreaded market cap rate?

Back
Top Bottom