Energy Suppliers

They have been good when I've asked them stuff, how are you asking them?

If it's email they've put that onto some AI bot thing, so you're probably going to go in circles.

Try out the Twitter DM approach.
Well I got a response at last. They say my gas meter was never commissioned, booked me in for a remote commissioning in September. Have been able to submit a manual reading now anyway.

Damn - Intelligent Octopus really makes a difference. Got my first bill through since moving over and getting the big battery EV.

June electric useage - 43kwh. Total monthly bill (inc gas) £52. (Pre - IO, on Economy7)
July electric usage - 433kwh. Total monthly bill (inc gas) £73. (IO)

All but 5kwh of our July useage was at the 7.5p rate. Gas useage was identical between the months ~£25 worth.

How do you stop the intelligent tariff from draining your house battery? I’m considering changing from go to intelligent but don’t want it kicking in during the day and smashing the house battery but I have heard you can disable intelligent ev charging on the octopus app? Also, how do you manage solar charging the car in the day?

So, got my email back from octopus saying my MCS certificate was missing, directing me to sign up to something in their site which ends with this message.

Thanks for your interest.
We're in the very earliest stages of trialling a solution for solar systems with no MCS certificate. You can't sign up just yet, but we'll get in touch when you can.

Rest of email:

If you are unable to obtain an MCS certificate for your installation, we will not be able to offer you an export tariff at this time.

We are in the very earliest stages of trialling a solution for non-MCS customers. If you'd like to hear when this is available, pop your name down here: https://octopus.typeform.com/to/UAbK9bRq .

Please note that this is not confirmation that you will be accepted onto an Octopus export tariff without an MCS. Instead, we will close your current tariff application should you sign up to this option. If we do open up our export tariffs to non-MCS generators in the future, we will be in touch to let you know.

Last edited:
British Gas

I saw the news about prices coming down, so I updated my spreadsheet, and I needed to reduce my direct debit from £130 to £120.

I tried to do it via the BG website, but it wouldn't let me put in a smaller number than my current direct debit amount.

So I opened a web chat, and waited 60+ places in a queue.

The person tells me my annual usage is double what it actually is and therefore he needs to change my direct debit to £230.

B7aBAIt.png

I refuse and make him set it to £120, he tries to debate me but eventually concedes. Then I get an email saying it's set to £230.

sxpNEBf.png

If I go to the tariff switching area of the website the numbers there are correct. Genuinely seems like customer services are using numbers from the wrong account, absolute clown show.

HHry6dA.png

British Gas

I saw the news about prices coming down, so I updated my spreadsheet, and I needed to reduce my direct debit from £130 to £120.

I tried to do it via the BG website, but it wouldn't let me put in a smaller number than my current direct debit amount.

So I opened a web chat, and waited 60+ places in a queue.

The person tells me my annual usage is double what it actually is and therefore he needs to change my direct debit to £230.

B7aBAIt.png

I refuse and make him set it to £120, he tries to debate me but eventually concedes. Then I get an email saying it's set to £230.

sxpNEBf.png

If I go to the tariff switching area of the website the numbers there are correct. Genuinely seems like customer services are using numbers from the wrong account, absolute clown show.

HHry6dA.png
I guess the moral of the story is, there's no reason to stay with British Gas. Jeez!

The default really should be variable direct debit and for those that are rubbish at budgeting an option for fixed direct debit if they choose.

There really should be no default.
There should be a choice required to me made when you sign up to a supplier/switch.

Do you want variable bills which will be significantly more in the winter, and significantly less in the summer. This requires a monthly DD to be setup to collect the actual bill amount. Or you can sent a cheque with a surcharge
OR, do you want estimated bills taken in equal amounts via DD.

Ours quite often stops giving online readings, seems to come back after a few days.

Or has the meter completely died?
It didn't work since install, since that post it's been fine. They said it hadn't been commissioned on twitter but it's working now so I don't really know what the issue was either.

sxpNEBf.png
had the same with octopus .. we don't use gas just a wood fire .. they put the dd up to £265 so contacted them again and told them again .. i have 10 tonne of wood and 250kg of coal in my back yard .. they still want £265 a month so i have to go on the day before and change the dd

had the same with octopus .. we don't use gas just a wood fire .. they put the dd up to £265 so contacted them again and told them again .. i have 10 tonne of wood and 250kg of coal in my back yard .. they still want £265 a month so i have to go on the day before and change the dd
Email them and ask them to bill you based on actual usage.

Why not just pay by variable direct debit and only pay for what you use??

atm actual usage .. is not what it is supposed to be ... trying to get someone out ... we only use 6 hrs at the max electric a day .. so thats 2 pc's and 3 light bulbs ?
Plus fridge, washing machine, dishwasher, vacuum, tools etc.

What is your actual usage? You know the direct debit is an estimate over the year right? As in, to build up a "bank" with them to cover higher gas usage over winter?

Back
Top Bottom