Energy Suppliers

I seen the recent posts about tracker getting close to SVR, but I checked mine and my electric is still circa 10p unit cheaper than SVR, a pretty big gap.

Lots of panicking every time tracker starts an upward movement.

Is there any disadvantage of moving onto variable direct debit on octopus tracker, as opposed to fixed? How does one do it? Only possible via phoning CS?

The only downside could be we are coming into winter when the price is likely to spike above the SVR at some point.

Try them on twitter.
You mean to say that paying on fixed would allow you to fall into debit over the winter months owing them money? In my experience they recognise this almost instantly and alter the fixed amount so they get you back into a nice "healthy" credit.

You mean to say that paying on fixed would allow you to fall into debit over the winter months owing them money? In my experience they recognise this almost instantly and alter the fixed amount so they get you back into a nice "healthy" credit.
I read it as you wanted to move to tracker tariff as opposed to fixed tariff. If you just want to go onto variable payments the twitter team should be able to do it.

I have not had issues with going negative balance myself in the past. It depends when your account review is.
They do have a responsibility to not allow you to accrue debt.

However, variable DD is fine if your able to budget (because winter bills can easily be 3-4x + more than summer), or your cashflow to bills is high and you have plenty spare to pay your bills.

I'm speaking to my mortgage broker on Tuesday. ******** it a bit at what our repayments will be. Currently, repayments are around £900 at 1.49% or something similar. I'm expecting a hike up to maybe £1,600.

One thing we have in our favour is some inheriitance, so I'll knock £50,000 of the mortgage. But I think this'll only reduce our monthly repayments if we increase the term at the same time. (now I'm typing, maybe that logic doesn't stack up...)

One thing we have in our favour is some inheriitance, so I'll knock £50,000 of the mortgage. But I think this'll only reduce our monthly repayments if we increase the term at the same time. (now I'm typing, maybe that logic doesn't stack up...)

Be wary of overpayment limits, don't want to get stung on ERC on some of that overpayment on top.

Increasing term will potentially reduce mandatory payments a bit, but you can still usually overpay, but again need to check how much per annum.

I usually go with a longer term and just overpay some to bring the balance down, my last re-mortgage was for 35 years or something.

Be wary of overpayment limits, don't want to get stung on ERC on some of that overpayment on top.

Increasing term will potentially reduce mandatory payments a bit, but you can still usually overpay, but again need to check how much per annum.

I usually go with a longer term and just overpay some to bring the balance down, my last re-mortgage was for 35 years or something.

I put this in completely the wrong thread! Thanks for replying like it was in the right thread, though :p safe advice.

Will repost in the correct place...

The only downside could be we are coming into winter when the price is likely to spike above the SVR at some point.

Try them on twitter.
I think you misunderstood. He asked about variable direct debit. Not variable tariff.

To answer the question there is no downside of you are able to budget, you'll pay for what you use each month so more in winter and less in summer.

I much prefer it this way, zero worry that they have too much of my money that can be earning me interest.

Last edited:
I have been paying Octopus £150 a month since I switched to them in April and when I switched to the tracker tariff in June my bills have never been over £60 a month so I have several hundred pounds of credit with them. I decided that it's better off in my account than theirs so went for the refund option and got the following message:-

We've had a refund request for your account. We'll review this within the next 7 working days, and will let you know whether it's been approved.

Once approved, it may take another 5 - 7 working days for your bank to process and complete the refund to your account.

So it takes up to 14 days to get my money back which is ridiculous let alone the fact that they need to "approve" it despite leaving the recommended £151 in my account. It's been three working days now and I suppose the weekend isn't going to count so they are really dragging their feet with my refund. I can transfer money into someones account instantly so why on earth do they need up to two weeks to refund me? They take my money quick enough so they should give it back quickly. Never had to complain about Octopus before but this is ridiculous.

No, I don't want to go on a variable payment as the same figure is easier for budgeting. I may reduce the amount though.

Code:
00:00    5.5p    00:30    4.2p    01:00    5.0p    01:30    5.5p    02:00    7.3p    02:30    0.0p    03:00    3.4p    03:30    3.4p
04:00    4.2p    04:30    2.4p    05:00    -0.4p    05:30    5.2p    06:00    -4.0p    06:30    10.1p    07:00    -0.4p    07:30    11.2p
08:00    5.3p    08:30    8.4p    09:00    4.6p    09:30    4.0p    10:00    5.3p    10:30    0.8p    11:00    2.0p    11:30    1.0p
12:00    1.2p    12:30    1.0p    13:00    1.5p    13:30    -0.4p    14:00    0.4p    14:30    -0.6p    15:00    -1.3p    15:30    2.7p
16:00    21.1p    16:30    34.4p    17:00    32.8p    17:30    41.8p    18:00    43.1p    18:30    46.6p    19:00    32.3p    19:30    26.5p
20:00    25.2p    20:30    22.0p    21:00    23.5p    21:30    18.9p    22:00    21.4p    22:30    16.2

Agile is good today, currently catching up on the laundry and will be charging up the car when missus gets back with it

I have been paying Octopus £150 a month since I switched to them in April and when I switched to the tracker tariff in June my bills have never been over £60 a month so I have several hundred pounds of credit with them. I decided that it's better off in my account than theirs so went for the refund option and got the following message:-

So it takes up to 14 days to get my money back which is ridiculous let alone the fact that they need to "approve" it despite leaving the recommended £151 in my account. It's been three working days now and I suppose the weekend isn't going to count so they are really dragging their feet with my refund. I can transfer money into someones account instantly so why on earth do they need up to two weeks to refund me? They take my money quick enough so they should give it back quickly. Never had to complain about Octopus before but this is ridiculous.

No, I don't want to go on a variable payment as the same figure is easier for budgeting. I may reduce the amount though.
They all do it, and it's an absolute con.

Heating on today...

KO3JZl.gif

I did wonder what all the gurgling and ticking was this morning, the system hasn't been bled since we drained it earlier in the year to replace bathroom radiator and had a new shower fitted.

Back
Top Bottom