Energy Suppliers

Given the cost of a new property, and the cost offset of roof tiles vs in-roof I don't think a decent sized ~10kWh battery would add any more than a rounding error to the total cost of the house over a standard mortgage term, vs. the savings it would deliver in the peaks hours and the months with shorter days, if anything it would likely be a positive impact on running costs.

Given the cost of a new property, and the cost offset of roof tiles vs in-roof I don't think a decent sized ~10kWh battery would add any more than a rounding error to the total cost of the house over a standard mortgage term, vs. the savings it would deliver in the peaks hours and the months with shorter days, if anything it would likely be a positive impact on running costs.
100%. The housing market isn't competitive enough to not be able to hide a proper solar setup. Outrageous it isn't done.

I'm not sure I agree on the battery. It won't suit everyone and its a lot of cost.
I mean add the provision (ie hybrid inverter which is nigh on same cost) and wiring to a suitable location, IMO.

The provision would definitely be helpful. Instead of people looking up the cost of getting solar, they'd be looking up the cost of adding storage to the grid.

Hugo sent out quite a good email earlier today:

Energy Prices Update

A lot of users have been asking why Hugo is still not showing new tariffs under the TARIFFS section in the app.

Whilst wholesale energy prices have fallen significantly from their winter highs, the options are still limited, and fixed deals are mainly only offered to existing customers.

Of those suppliers offering fixed deals for 12 months, the deals are between 1% or less cheaper than the current energy price cap. The concern for us at Hugo is that these now come with a £150 to £200 exit fee.

From 1st October, all the signs are that the new Energy Price Cap will be lowered to 6.7p per kWh for gas and 27.2p per kWh for electricity. With standing charges staying the same.

This represents a 5% reduction in energy costs as opposed to the 1% being offered. The £150 -£200 exit fee makes this, in our opinion, not worth taking the fix until the 1st October Energy Price Cap announcement is made. Then, fixed deals will likely be offered on or below the October price cap rate.

In effect, fixing now could mean you £300 worse off (including the exit fees). But the security and peace of mind of a fixed rate for 12 months at the current price cap could bring peace of mind. However, the chances of the current government increasing the Energy Price Cap during the cost of living crisis and an election cycle remain very low, in our opinion.

So, we think it is worth holding on until the 1st of October price cap announcement before fixing. Fixing before winter for 12 months is on balance, though, a sensible thing to do. As wholesale rates are more volatile during winter as opposed to summer. We will keep you posted throughout August/September on this position.

August Monthly Energy TIP Competition

Congratulations to August's most liked Energy Saving Tip with 32 likes, which was:

Time your showers and reduce by 50%

A gift box is on its way to the user that created this. Check out this video to see the contents of a Hugo Galatic Gift Box.

You can create 1 TIP per month. So if you have a new TIP, don't hesitate to submit it. We recommend searching for the most appropriate Icon to fit your TIP to get more likes. So if you type in Oven, Light, or anything related, try to search for an Icon to match.

New Quests Announced on FB and X (Formerly Twitter)

This week, we launched a new Bespoke Tariffs Quests worth 25 credits. The purpose was to research what type of tariffs might benefit different types of homeowners. Only 500 replies to this Quest were available and was filled within 24 hours. So please follow us on Facebook or X (formerly Twitter) to make sure you don't miss out on future Quests.

Did you know?

You can complete your Property Quest and earn 25 credits if you go to the GAMING icon (top menu bar) if you have not already.

When you enter your tariff via the BUDGET>EDIT TARIFF section, we automatically add VAT. You can remove VAT in the USAGE and BUDGET sections by turning off the VAT toggle buttons.

just had a right go at octopus they sent me an e-mail saying they were putting up my monthly charge to £269 ??? wtf so replied to there email then phoned them 30 mins on hold .. told them i do not agree with it and as i have stated before if it's above my set amount it will be paid then and there ..
i've been paying £100 for 8 months i'm £26 in credit .. told them we cook on bbq every night and i have 9 tonnes of wood in my store for winter .. and coal for backup .. gas is a secondary heating source ..
what gives them the right to help themselves to my money ?

Last edited:
just had a right go at octopus they sent me an e-mail saying they were putting up my monthly charge to £269 ??? wtf so replied to there email then phoned them 30 mins on hold .. told them i do not agree with it and as i have stated before if it's above my set amount it will be paid then and there ..
i've been paying £100 for 8 months i'm £26 in credit .. told them we cook on bbq every night and i have 9 tonnes of wood in my store for winter .. and coal for backup .. gas is a secondary heating source ..
they have a right because they are your supplier of fuel and you have agreed to pay a fixed amount by direct debit........change it too a variable direct debit instead and then you only pay for what you use.

You can go onto Variable DD where you pay them exactly what the bill states and not estimated DD.

Ask them to bill you on that instead, it's what I have.

it is variable ..
no its not, if it was variable you wouldnt have been paying 100 a month for 8 months.......mine is variable, so each month they send me a bill for the exact amount and take that via direct debit, im in credit so i pay nothing at the moment. but you still pay £100, you even state that in your post " if its above my set amount"

Last edited:
Damn - Intelligent Octopus really makes a difference. Got my first bill through since moving over and getting the big battery EV.

June electric useage - 43kwh. Total monthly bill (inc gas) £52. (Pre - IO, on Economy7)
July electric usage - 433kwh. Total monthly bill (inc gas) £73. (IO)

All but 5kwh of our July useage was at the 7.5p rate. Gas useage was identical between the months ~£25 worth.

Last edited:
Octopus gas smart meter still not working, they're answer is to wait a few more weeks, like since being installed back in May wasnt enough time :rolleyes:

People rave about octopus but they've been rubbish for me so far.

Last edited:
Octopus gas smart meter still not working, they're answer is to wait a few more weeks, like since being installed back in May wasnt enough time :rolleyes:

People rave about octopus but they've been rubbish for me so far.

They have been good when I've asked them stuff, how are you asking them?

If it's email they've put that onto some AI bot thing, so you're probably going to go in circles.

Try out the Twitter DM approach.

Back
Top Bottom