Energy Suppliers

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
The reviews for PP seem decent, too. So unless you want to go with the others, not sure it's worth it. Obviously Bulb and Octopus have referrals but by using one you'd only break even in year one, after that it's still costing more.

Soldato
Any reason to consider Bulb or Octopus over Pure Planet? Bulb and Octopus are £50 more per year than Pure Planet.
Only reason would be referral bonuses: Bulb will get you £50 when you sign up, and the potential for £50 every time you refer a friend. I think Octopus might have something similar (?). Not sure if Pure Planet also do (?)

Oh, and Bulb is not a fixed contract, so you can exit whenever you like.

Soldato
Looking to switch suppliers from Scottish Power to Pure Planet as they appear to be coming out the cheapest between; Bulb, Octopus and Pure Planet. Any reason to consider Bulb or Octopus over Pure Planet? Bulb and Octopus are £50 more per year than Pure Planet.

the suppliers can be at a different points with respect to price change cycle ... so I always have a problem, that you can't easily see what would I have paid if I had been with them for the last year, to help make a decision.
with Brexit .. I'd be considering fixed price deals too .. if they're in spitting distance.

Soldato
Anyone know if you can rejoin bulb and get the referral bonus? Left bulb to join octopus but my fixed tariff is up at the end of the month and bulb are coming out slightly cheaper for me.
There's a time limit on how soon you can do it. I remember answering that question earlier in the thread.... think it was 6 months or 9 months....

Edit:

no, 12 months:

12 month gap needed. From the Ts and Cs:

• 17.2.4. Referrers must be existing Bulb members. Recruits must not have already signed up to Bulb or be an existing member, already on supply with Bulb, or a member of Bulb in the preceding 12 months, under any email address or alias.

Soldato
they will need to fit new green pipes and wires to your house. usually a 3 day install and rip up your driveway. totally worth it though to be green.
Oh nooo's .. ;)

Went with it. My Eon account runs out tomorrow so I guess they will put me on the variable tariff until the switch goes ahead then? Probably get charged something silly?

Man of Honour
People with Utility Point should keep a close eye on your account when you leave them. I switched back to Bulb on 10th July and sent my final/initial reading to them both first thing in the morning. On 15th July UP took their usual direct debit and issued me a new bill which included estimated usage from 10th-14th July. Figuring this is just because my switch date was so close to my usual billing date I let it go thinking that I would soon get my money back when the final meter reading has been verified.
Last week they took another direct debit and today issued me a new bill using estimated readings from 15th July to 14th August. Enough is enough so I phoned them up. After being on hold for 10 minutes I got to speak to someone. Once we did all the account number, name, address DoB etc I explained what has been going on so she called my account up and had a look. She then put me back on hold and went off to speak to someone. Five minutes later she came back and said she will issue me with a £168.67 and then sort the account out. That was nowhere near right so I told her that on 15th August they took another £65.56 from my bank account and my UP account was showing me being £227.98 in credit so they actually owed me £293.54. She put me on hold again while she checked a different system. A few minutes later she was back again and told me that the final readings were confirmed three weeks ago and couldn't understand what had gone wrong. She then cancelled the last two bills and re-issued July's bill using the final readings which left me at £234.98 in credit and that she would get this returned to me in the quickest possible way. She then asked me if there was anything else she could help me with to which I replied that there was still the £65.56 direct debit that they took from me last week. She could see that it had been applied for but was still in the system and not showing yet so she said she will keep a eye on it and refund it back to me when it appears. She was very apologetic but it wasn't her fault so no point in getting wound up about it. I just need to monitor my bank account now for the two refunds and make sure I get my money back.

If they had my verified meter reads three weeks ago why on earth did it take me phoning them up today to get everything sorted out. This is the worst switch I have had so far and I switch suppliers most years. I never even had this much hassle when GBEnergy went bust. Looking on MSE Cheap Energy Club several other people have had similar problems with UP when they switch from them so keep a close eye on your account.

Soldato
Switching to Scottish Power, old tariff with EON:

Easy Online Exclusive Aug19v3 - Electric / 18.90p per day / 13.850p per kWh
Easy Online Exclusive Aug19v3 - Gas / 18.90p per day / 3.206p per kWh

New one with Scottish Power:

Super Saver August 2020 B3 - Electric / 20.549p per day / 13.734p per kWh
Super Saver August 2020 B3 - Gas / 20.549p per day / 3.151p per kWh

Estimated around £63/month on my normal usage.

Get £25 cashback via the MSE Cheap Energy Club after 3 months. Woo! :)

Soldato
Just an FYI if you were with Economy Energy.

I was in dispute with them over my bill even after the Ombudsman had ruled in my favour, but that's a long and annoying story.

Upshot was I didn't pay my bill and the administrator sent my debt to an agency.

I spoke to them today and offered to pay the £1,150 bill off @ £100 a month.

In order to close my account quickly they immediately offered 15% off if I paid straight away.

I could probably have got more off as I suspect if they collect 85% off everyone they'll be happy, but it got me below the psychological mark of £1k and I'd got the money set aside anyway.

Back
Top Bottom