England Manager.

Soldato
I think its a good appointment personally, the best English appointment anyway.

I'd have preferred Scolari or Hiddink, but after them it had to be McClaren.

Think people should give him a chance. He's worked his way up from the bottom to get to where he is today and you don't do that by being a bad manager. The players respect him, other coaches like Alex Ferguson respected him enough to appoint him assistant manager, where he went on to win the treble with him, I think everyone who is criticising the appointment should just wait and see.

Associate
OP
atpbx said:
Well ok.

Name me 5 players outside of the Brazil, Argentinian and Italian first teams who are world class.

Who are super duper world beaters.

You cant, so dont bother trying.

Absurd, Sorry to jump into a conversation that had nothing to do with me but I couldn't help overhearing.
Do you honestly believe that there are so few 'super duper' players outside of Brazil, Argentina and Italy? You have a very narrow view of talent and the world of football if this is the case.
I could sit here and name dozens of 'super duper' players from all over the planet. Throwing names like Raul, Zidane, Thierry Henry, Shevchenko, Christiano Ronaldo, Pavel Nedved, Ruud Van Nistelrooy and Michael Ballack will be obvious household names to you (I could go on) but i'll use this opportunity to also draw attention to some possible unfamiliar names that could be lighting up the World Cup this year and changing your opinions of world beaters - Dario Srna of Croatia, Edison Mendez of Ecuador, Nikola Zigic of Serbia & Montenegro, Alexander Frei of Switzerland, Freddy Adu of USA, Simão of Portugal.....And many more! *Coffe Break Time*

Associate
radikal_dj said:
Absurd, Sorry to jump into a conversation that had nothing to do with me but I couldn't help overhearing.
Do you honestly believe that there are so few 'super duper' players outside of Brazil, Argentina and Italy? You have a very narrow view of talent and the world of football if this is the case.
I could sit here and name dozens of 'super duper' players from all over the planet. Throwing names like Raul, Zidane, Thierry Henry, Shevchenko, Christiano Ronaldo, Pavel Nedved, Ruud Van Nistelrooy and Michael Ballack will be obvious household names to you (I could go on) but i'll use this opportunity to also draw attention to some possible unfamiliar names that could be lighting up the World Cup this year and changing your opinions of world beaters - Dario Srna of Croatia, Edison Mendez of Ecuador, Nikola Zigic of Serbia & Montenegro, Alexander Frei of Switzerland, Freddy Adu of USA, Simão of Portugal.....And many more! *Coffe Break Time*
Well said,

I think you could have gone on all day.

Soldato
bad choice IMO, should have waited, they didnt need to name a new manager before the world cup, and they would have more luck getting someone better after the WC. I really hope to be proved wrong and he does well.
England have a world class set of players and need a world class manager. I dont think weve got one, and a decent manager isnt enough, hopefully he wont be too scared to leave people out and change things like sven though!

Soldato
radikal_dj said:

Wow, never have i seen someone miss the point of another post quite so much.

Try reading it again and then read it in the context of why it was written and then try again.

He wanted the names of 5 players outside of any of those countries starting lineups which are world class, which means he wanted for example 5 world class brazillian players who are not in the starting 11 for brazil, to illustrate the point that they don't have world class players not playing, not that there aren't world class players outside of Brazil, Argentina and Italy.

Soldato
Just read some bull in the paper from Brian Barwick. He reckons that McClaren was the FA's first choice for England manager all along and that they never offered the job to Scolari. If he was first choice, why did they have to wait to appoint him after Scolari turned it down? They could have done it weeks ago.

Soldato
Brian Barwick is just attempting to protect the F.A's credibility which we all know doesn't exist. He knows, the F.A knows, McClaren knows, the fans know that he was most definitely not first choice for the job. Because if he was he would have been chosen months ago instead of the F.A conducting all these interviews with fellow professionals and managers for their opinions.

McClaren out of all the candidates named is the cheapest. There is no way he'll be on anything near £4million a year. This tripe about respect from other managers and players is a joke. It's a front. Sure he did help Man Utd win the treble in 1999, but it wasn't all down to him like he thinks it was. He was relatively unknown before that, and after he had made a name for himself and has been riding that success ever since.

He is out of his depth with the England job and he'll prove to the F.A that they made the wrong decision.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Spud21 said:
Wow, never have i seen someone miss the point of another post quite so much.

Try reading it again and then read it in the context of why it was written and then try again.

He wanted the names of 5 players outside of any of those countries starting lineups which are world class, which means he wanted for example 5 world class brazillian players who are not in the starting 11 for brazil, to illustrate the point that they don't have world class players not playing, not that there aren't world class players outside of Brazil, Argentina and Italy.

Ok.....I see, apologies.

Soldato
[ASSE]Hinchy said:
Corrent. I was thinking that and was going to mention it, but you beat me to it. I will just confirm :p

I was about to ask the same thing. I'd be really interested to see him in an international match against a team like Argentina. I somehow don't think he's ready for the physicality.

Soldato
I just can't see McLaren getting the best out of the current, or indeed, future England squads. If he already has a good influence as Sven suggests, how come when the **** hits the fan (as against Brazil) we don't sort it?

I'm in two minds to be honest - as Johnny G has suggested it's perhaps best to wait and see. Managing a club team is very different to the international stage and it may be that McLaren shines. He has done well to guide Boro to a UEFA final, he has won the tinpot cup for Boro too so it may not be all bad - a start of a glorious future?

Soldato
radikal_dj said:
i'll use this opportunity to also draw attention to some possible unfamiliar names that could be lighting up the World Cup this year and changing your opinions of world beaters - Dario Srna of Croatia, Edison Mendez of Ecuador, Nikola Zigic of Serbia & Montenegro, Alexander Frei of Switzerland, Freddy Adu of USA, Simão of Portugal.....And many more! *Coffe Break Time*
You've watched all of these players in action then, to declare them "World Class" so easily? You're a regular watcher of the Ukranian, Ecuadorian and Swiss leagues? You've seen all 60 of Adu's MLS games and his five whole minutes of international football? All of those players really are that damn good are they?

Soldato
radikal_dj said:

:/

Back
Top Bottom