England Manager.

Associate
My latest feelings are that Scolari will get the job.

Thoughts?

por-scolari-grimace-i.jpg

Don
totally confused as to who will get it , one thing I am sure of is that McClaren would possibly be the worst thing that could happen

latest odds

Steve McClaren 4/5
Phil Scolari 6/4
Martin O'Neill 6/1
Alan Curbishley 10/1
Sam Allardyce 12/1

why on earth would anyone think that McClaren would be suitable :mad:

Soldato
Rotty said:
why on earth would anyone think that McClaren would be suitable :mad:
Because he's worked with the team throughout Svens reign, he knows the setup, he's English, he has european experience, he's a decent manager and he's done well at Middlesbrough, specifically in cups.

I'm not saying I think he should be manager, but I think these things are all in his favour. Why do you think he is a bad choice?

Don
Mr_L said:
Because he's worked with the team throughout Svens reign, he knows the setup, he's English, he has european experience, he's a decent manager and he's done well at Middlesbrough, specifically in cups.

I'm not saying I think he should be manager, but I think these things are all in his favour. Why do you think he is a bad choice?

primarily because of his record at 'boro , if his record there is the standard we want as an England manager then god help us

re the other points you make

He's English - is not a criteria IMO

He knows the current setup - a current setup that is not working to it's full potential

European experianve - maybe some with the mancs and 2nd tier recently

a decent manger - I've seen little evidence of this

Last edited:
Soldato
Was having a beer with an England player after the match on Saturday (doubt he would appreciate me naming him tbh) and he said McClaren would be ideal as manager and went on to say. The England manager's job is to rally the troops, motivate them, organise the tactics and man manage. It is a different job to club management as you are not required to coach or develop players- you are only together for a short period of time so it's not like they can teach you a lot. He said the McClaren is great at the motivational side of things and delivers most of the team talks now anyway so is in a prime position.

Sure, he doesn't have a tremendous club record but neither have some of our past managers. Like I say, it is all about the motivation and organisation and apparently McClaren is good at this.

Personally I would like someone with a bit more success and experience but if the players are behind him that cant be bad...

Don
Youstolemyname said:
Personally I would like someone with a bit more success and experience but if the players are behind him that cant be bad...

the players like the current setup because they get an easy life , a lot of protection from criticism and their arses covered when they step out of line

Soldato
Rotty said:
He's English - is not a criteria IMO
I agree, but I think the FA might see it differently.

As for the setup he can tweak what is already in place to make it better, or worse. His european experience is greater than any of the other GB candidates. He was assistant Manager at Man United when they won the Champions League and Middlesbrough have a good chance of winning the UEFA Cup.

Soldato
not fantastic though tactically IMO which I what we need, a thinker. were no where near as good as we should be and he's in the set up now. we need someone new, I like martin o'neill out of that choice, but even he isnt that storng tactically. Do you recon benitez whould give up a few hours here and there to draw up the team sheet and tactics? lol

Soldato
shouldnt be mclaren in any case, he does his job as assistant well and that should be as far as he ever went, shoulda stayed with us at Old Trafford I reckon, same as Brian Kidd.

Big Phil should get it, easily, he wants it, has won things internationally already and wont be afraid of the criticism of having to drop Lampard or Gerrard at one point when everyone realises that they cant play together.

I'm glad Guus Hiddink isnt in the running anymore, want him to come to Old Trafford next.

Associate
Whoever it is had best be able to put up with the media digging up their past, intruding on their personal life, personal insults and the overbearing weight of expectation with a team that is permanently considered to not be 'living up to its potential' with 'the best players with had in years'.

Soldato
I dont think McClaren should get it as he is working with the team at the moment and in my opinion they arent getting the most out of the stars that we have.

I agreed with the motivation factor. These guys dont need a coach they need someone that is going to get the most out of the players. They need to put a little more pace and fight into their play.

We should be envied by the amount of stars we have but that isnt the current situation. So bring someone in that is going to get them fired up!

Soldato
I wouldn't want McClaren for the same reasons Ferguson got rid of him five years ago. The players didn't respect him, when Ferguson was away on business or holiday and McClaren took over he changed things that quickly drew attention to how poor tactically minded he is. He didn't have a presence in the changing room, and his opinions didn't hold much weight with anyone at Old Trafford. I'll not even talk about the players that he was rumoured wanting to bring to Man Utd, although it doesn't apply to the England job.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Scolari denies England interview

Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari says he has not been interviewed by the Football Association about becoming England's next manager.

Several newspaper reports in England suggested the Brazilian was set to get the job after having an impressive second interview.

"No, I don't (sic) have an interview," Scolari told BBC Radio Five Live.

"I am coach of Portugal and I am only thinking and speaking about Portugal until the last day of the World Cup."

Scolari, who spoke to Five Live's Sportsweek programme in February, added: "I said to the BBC... that I am happy that they (the FA) are thinking about me.

"But I have a contract with Portugal and I don't want to talk anything more about any contract until the last day of my job with Portugal."

Manchester City boss Stuart Pearce said he would be very surprised if Scolari got the England job.

"Is Scolari the new kid on the block at the moment?" Pearce said.

"He certainly has an impressive record and has managed in lots of different countries. But people I speak to in the street all want an English manager.

"The groundswell of opinion from the general public is that a British-based manager will get the job."

Pearce, who is believed to be out of the running to replace Eriksson, believes too much notice is being taken of recent results.

"If I was looking to appoint someone to do the national job their immediate run of results wouldn't overly matter," he said.

"You cannot say whether someone is a good or bad manager over a period of three or four months.

"But that seems to be the nature of the business we are in at the minute.

"Steve McClaren started as 20-1 outsider but because of the run of results he is now the favourite."

It has been suggested that Pearce could play some sort of coaching role in a new England set-up, but he says he is only focusing on Manchester City.

"If a coaching post was ever offered to me I would have to speak about it," he said.

"But as I stand at the moment, managing a Premiership team is a full-time job."

Soldato
Reading between the lines I think Pearce really , really wants the gig.
The comments he makes and his zany little "passion" filled touchline side shows are putting himself right in the shop window.

Soldato
I don't know much about the managers - but I don't see any English manager as being good enough! I have a feeling that an English manager will be chosen, simply for the xenophoebic reason of him being English.

I, however, hope Scolari does got for it as then we could see some really good football being played.

Soldato
@if ®afiq said:
I don't know much about the managers - but I don't see any English manager as being good enough! I have a feeling that an English manager will be chosen, simply for the xenophoebic reason of him being English.

I, however, hope Scolari does got for it as then we could see some really good football being played.
Xenophobic?
This is football pal , no place for political correctness.

Associate
OP
Forget Scolari for now - Felleger
Copyright Press Association Ltd. Monday, 24 April 2006

England have been told to focus on the World Cup and not their next coaching appointment by the agent of Portugal boss and reported target Luiz Felipe Scolari.
The Brazilian has been linked with the post which will become vacant after this summer's big tournament in Germany and fresh speculation over the weekend has seen the 57-year-old re-emerge as a leading candidate to replace Sven-Goran Eriksson. Scolari's representative Acaz Felleger poured cold water on the stories, however, saying: "It's all speculation.
"We are two months away from the World Cup and Luiz Felipe Scolari is focused on his job in Portugal. He just needs to have a good World Cup and after this, he might talk about his future. If the FA is really interested in signing him, they should be focused on their work for the World Cup like Scolari is at the moment. England must think first about this World Cup and then on other issues."
Scolari is one of the most highly-rated tacticians in the game. England are well aware of his acumen as he was in charge of Brazil's World Cup-winning side that won a quarter-final between the sides in Japan and Korea four years ago.
Two years later and Scolari's Portugal knocked England out of Euro 2004 but his team lost in the final to Greece.

Back
Top Bottom