England squad announcement

Soldato
Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Crystal Palace), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal), James Trafford (Burnley).

Defenders: Jarrad Branthwaite (Everton), Lewis Dunk (Brighton), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Jarell Quansah (Liverpool), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle), Kyle Walker (Manchester City).

Midfielders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Curtis Jones (Liverpool), Kobbie Mainoo (Manchester United), Declan Rice (Arsenal), Adam Wharton (Crystal Palace).

Forwards: Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid), Jarrod Bowen (West Ham), Eberechi Eze (Crystal Palace), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Anthony Gordon (Newcastle), Harry Kane (Bayern Munich), James Maddison (Tottenham), Cole Palmer (Chelsea), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Ivan Toney (Brentford), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa).

Soldato
Given that Trent is really a defender, Jones, Mainoo and particularly Wharton are all very green, and Gallagher is ****, that's incredibly light in midfield. I appreciate that Jude, Eze, and Foden all kind of play there, but if anything happens to Rice teams will be absolutely strolling through our team. I get not including Henderson and Phillips, but it's spectacularly light looking without one of them.

Edit: As per, JWP has barely been in the discussion and I'd argue should be in the provisional squad, probably over Wharton, despite his promise.

Last edited:
Soldato
Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Crystal Palace), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal), James Trafford (Burnley).

Defenders: Jarrad Branthwaite (Everton), Lewis Dunk (Brighton), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Jarell Quansah (Liverpool), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle), Kyle Walker (Manchester City).

Midfielders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Curtis Jones (Liverpool), Kobbie Mainoo (Manchester United), Declan Rice (Arsenal), Adam Wharton (Crystal Palace).

Forwards: Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid), Jarrod Bowen (West Ham), Eberechi Eze (Crystal Palace), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Anthony Gordon (Newcastle), Harry Kane (Bayern Munich), James Maddison (Tottenham), Cole Palmer (Chelsea), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Ivan Toney (Brentford), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa).

that's a lot of CBs.

I'd have liked to have seen Elliot, Barkley and Ward Prowse. They're all players that could come on as subs and make a difference. Neither Jones or Mainoo do that. Wharton over Barkley?

I'd have liked to have seen Maguire dropped.

Caporegime
Really? Average at keeper, no decent left back, and very light defensively in midfield. We're basically a team of number 10s, wingers, and strikers. We'll get found out against most decent sides.

You are very negative. Pickford has always delivered the goods for England and Everton have had a good season considering their points deduction. A fit Luke Shaw is also one of the best left backs in Europe.

That midfield of Rice, Bellingham and Foden will not get injured. Between them they have all played 150 games this season.

Have a little bit of positivity. :)

Harry Maguire can and will get done like a kipper but he has been about the only bright spark we have had this season for United.

I guess David Dickinson has burnt all bridges with Southgate as he would have been a shoe in really otherwise.

Last edited:
Soldato
You are very negative. Pickford has always delivered the goods for England and Everton have had a good season considering their points deduction. A fit Luke Shaw is also one of the best left backs in Europe.

That midfield of Rice, Bellingham and Foden will not get injured. Between them they have all played 150 games this season.

Have a little bit of positivity. :)

Harry Maguire can and will get done like a kipper but he has been about the only bright spark we have had this season for United.
I think Maguire deserves his place and has done little wrong for England.

As you say, a fit Luke Shaw is perfectly fine. How often is he fit? He's played 12 league matches this season, you can hardly say he's had any continuity or been able to find form.

Will he play a 3 of Rice, Bellingham and Foden? He's already suggested not (his press conference today suggests that he plays Foden wide). Therefore it's Rice and Bellingham in a double pivot which leaves Bellingham deep, or Rice, Bellingham and another in a 3. Even if we do play a 3 of Rice, Bellingham and Foden, Bellingham Foden and Kane will all end up standing on top of each other at 10, and our midfield will get exposed and played through.

I'm not saying we'll be bad - we'll beat all the teams we're meant to and have a good chance of coming out on top against the likes of Germany, Spain etc. But if we come up against France, I can't see us getting past them.

Back
Top Bottom