England's young people near bottom of global league table for basic skills

Soldato
So even using that definition you would agree they are not the same thing. Thank you. Shall we say murder is just a more intense form of assault?

That's not the same thing, as an unlawful killing has to take place for it to be considered murder, the same doesn't have to happen for it to be considered assault.

Man of Honour
Depends what changes are on the table? The only changes I'm aware of are the moves to make schools less dependent on state funding, which is kind of privatisation by the back door.

What changes should we be making to our schools?

Performance related pay would be a good start. Breaking the hold of 'the teaching profession' (who seem to be far better at worrying about themselves than actually educating) on education, allowing successful schools to expand and closing failing ones... the list goes on.

You also seem to imply thay privatisation is a bad thing, but it is not the private sector that is failing our kids now.

Soldato
That's not the same thing, as an unlawful killing has to take place for it to be considered murder, the same doesn't have to happen for it to be considered assault.

You are correct they are not the same thing. Neither was what you said. How silly of the both of us.

Man of Honour
Now that's better. You've actually covered more of the problems there and I think people would be hard pressed to challenge what are reasonable criticisms of the current system. So why the rhetoric soundbite the first time around?

To be fair, the teaching unions oppose just about everything on that list apart from smaller class sizes, so while the soundbite may have been lazy, and I should have gone into better detail, it isn't wrong.

Soldato
Does anyone believe children today are actually given a broad education? It seems to me that schools are just people factories to get kids letters on bits of paper, nothing more. At least in state education anyway.

Soldato
Performance related pay would be a good start.

How can you get performance related pay without forcing children to enter an increasingly worrying cycle of assessment for the sole purpose of detailing another persons advancement. Surely this is unethical? Surely this would fail a basic ethics test. The tests would have to be for the benefit of the children? This would really shift the paradigm to then measure the ability of teacher.

You also ask for parental involvement - great idea I love it. However, how can you accurately measure the parental involvement to ensure the input given is consistent enough to remove any bias from assessment?

Soldato
To be fair, the teaching unions oppose just about everything on that list apart from smaller class sizes, so while the soundbite may have been lazy, and I should have gone into better detail, it isn't wrong.

Smaller class sizes - they like
More intelligent selection - they like according to their definition we are left guessing what yours is
More parental involvement - they like it is already being implemented by me
Successful schools growing - they like it is already being implemented by me
Reform the pay structure - they'd like according to their definition we are left guessing what yours is
Rigour back to the exam system - they'd like according to their definition we are left guessing what yours is

So in principle they don't oppose these things unless you wish to narrow down exactly what you mean and exactly what they are objecting to.

Soldato
Anyway I think the main point here is that the ruling elite in Britain don't actually want to educate the plebs because then they are going to be challenged by them. Better keep the working class nice and under educated.

Caporegime
Performance related pay would be a good start. Breaking the hold of 'the teaching profession' (who seem to be far better at worrying about themselves than actually educating) on education, allowing successful schools to expand and closing failing ones... the list goes on.

You also seem to imply thay privatisation is a bad thing, but it is not the private sector that is failing our kids now.

As I see it, there are two 'norms' with profit-driven companies. On the one hand, you have an all-out race to the bottom. See TalkTalk, BT, etc.

On the other hand, we all know that private schools tend to be very, very good. We also know that they tend to be very, very expensive.

So for the private sector to enhance our schooling is no doubt possible, but not without working-class parents being asked to stump up amounts of cash that they just don't have.

But there is the possibility that privatisation *without* extra funding will indeed create a race to the bottom with our schools. No extra funding but need to generate profit = lowering standards, not raising them.

Soldato
He is a pseudo-intellectual I'll have you know...and if you read too many of his posts it will make you physically nauseous....;)

Poor bloke always goes off on like that then posts in another thread about his anxiety and depression. On one hand I feel bad for him then on the other hand I think if you have such issues then you really have to look at the trigger factors and maybe steer clear of anything that may exacerbate it. I also feel it is not really my problem and whilst I would not wish ill on anyone it is not my responsibility to pussyfoot around people who hide behind a veil of illness to denigrate others.

Man of Honour
How can you get performance related pay without forcing children to enter an increasingly worrying cycle of assessment for the sole purpose of detailing another persons advancement. Surely this is unethical? Surely this would fail a basic ethics test. The tests would have to be for the benefit of the children? This would really shift the paradigm to then measure the ability of teacher.

You also ask for parental involvement - great idea I love it. However, how can you accurately measure the parental involvement to ensure the input given is consistent enough to remove any bias from assessment?

You assume the only way to gather performance data would be explicit testing, it isn't. There are many ways of evaluating performance that wouldn't require such things, certainly not in addition to the current testing and evaluation processes.

Parental involvement is a more complex one. I think you may have mistakenly included this in the performance assessment piece, and it isn't. It is more about a wider policy of engagement and responsibility that seems to be missing. Part of that has to be addressing the attitude from many schools that parents are a problem, and part of it has to be about educating parents to address both the pushy parent problem and the uncaring parent problem when it comes to education (which is the reason I don't advocate full parental choice or a voucher system).

Soldato
You assume the only way to gather performance data would be explicit testing, it isn't. There are many ways of evaluating performance that wouldn't require such things, certainly not in addition to the current testing and evaluation processes.

Parental involvement is a more complex one. I think you may have mistakenly included this in the performance assessment piece, and it isn't. It is more about a wider policy of engagement and responsibility that seems to be missing. Part of that has to be addressing the attitude from many schools that parents are a problem, and part of it has to be about educating parents to address both the pushy parent problem and the uncaring parent problem when it comes to education (which is the reason I don't advocate full parental choice or a voucher system).

What other system would you use? I am genuinely interested.

I am not mistaken I certainly have never found the teachers at my children's schools to take that attitude if anything the opposite. They quite clearly state it is the parent's and the schools job to facilitate the children on a journey of learning - partnership of all etc.

Man of Honour
Smaller class sizes - they like
More intelligent selection - they like according to their definition we are left guessing what yours is
More parental involvement - they like it is already being implemented by me
Successful schools growing - they like it is already being implemented by me
Reform the pay structure - they'd like according to their definition we are left guessing what yours is
Rigour back to the exam system - they'd like according to their definition we are left guessing what yours is

So in principle they don't oppose these things unless you wish to narrow down exactly what you mean and exactly what they are objecting to.

Intelligent selection - teaching unions oppose formal selection (eg a modern 11 plus or two tier exams).

More parental involvement - Tends to get objections when the parents start challenging teachers.

Successful schools growing - They don't like the other side, failing schools being closed.

Reforming pay structure - the current strikes are around the idea that better teachers should be paid more, as opposed to length of service or other factors dictating pay.

Rigour in the exam system - They have opposed every recent change to improve standards or make grades more meaningful.

Soldato
Intelligent selection - teaching unions oppose formal selection (eg a modern 11 plus or two tier exams).

They reject your definition of intelligent selection. You have decided it is intelligent and then assume that is fact for everyone else too.

More parental involvement - Tends to get objections when the parents start challenging teachers.

Well I hate to draw on personal experience here but I've got 3 children going through school and 1 having been through school and I have never found this. Your daughter is 2 (I think) - so I am wondering where you are drawing this from.

Successful schools growing - They don't like the other side, failing schools being closed.

Yes, well that's rather obvious isn't it. I mean with good management failing schools have been turned around seems rather wasteful to label everything there as a failure does it not. And if good management won't work then what happens to your private schools which are allegedly going to fix everything with modern accountable and responsible management. Either it works or it doesn't.

Reforming pay structure - the current strikes are around the idea that better teachers should be paid more, as opposed to length of service or other factors dictating pay.

Seems fair enough when you have yet to detail a fair system ...

Rigour in the exam system - They have opposed every recent change to improve standards or make grades more meaningful.

No, you say they are meaningful that is a presumption on your behalf plenty would argue whether they are. Whilst I agree many will argue against change for changes sake there is a strong argument that the constant changes a more detrimental to the thing being changed than the underlying problem.

Anyways bed now - good to see you posting more. :)

Man of Honour
As I see it, there are two 'norms' with profit-driven companies. On the one hand, you have an all-out race to the bottom. See TalkTalk, BT, etc.

On the other hand, we all know that private schools tend to be very, very good. We also know that they tend to be very, very expensive.

So for the private sector to enhance our schooling is no doubt possible, but not without working-class parents being asked to stump up amounts of cash that they just don't have.

But there is the possibility that privatisation *without* extra funding will indeed create a race to the bottom with our schools. No extra funding but need to generate profit = lowering standards, not raising them.

The cost of private education per pupil is not that differwnt from the state cost, indeed in 2008 or so per pupil costs were lower in the private sector than in public, not sure if that is still the case. The end results are certainly a lot closer than you imply (most private schools do not charge Eton level fees).

With the last paragraph, you are only correct if there is zero waste reduction or efficency improvement possible as a result of the change. Do you really think that applies to current LEA run state schools?

Caporegime
The cost of private education per pupil is not that differwnt from the state cost, indeed in 2008 or so per pupil costs were lower in the private sector than in public, not sure if that is still the case. The end results are certainly a lot closer than you imply (most private schools do not charge Eton level fees).

With the last paragraph, you are only correct if there is zero waste reduction or efficency improvement possible as a result of the change. Do you really think that applies to current LEA run state schools?

I'm not sure if there really is enough inefficiency to cut costs *and* turn a profit at the same time? Assuming no increased funding.

Interesting if true about the cost per pupil. I assume that is the cost to the parent/client, rather than the school's own incurred costs?

Back
Top Bottom