England's young people near bottom of global league table for basic skills

Permabanned
Your mom and dad did very well and good luck to them. But I wonder what would have happened if they stayed in India? bet it makes you feel lucky to be here.

Class size in the UK is just silly it should be no more then 15-20 a class.

They pushing 27 class sizes in North East .... education system is broke 100% up this way... it's only a matter of time.

Man of Honour
This goes to back up the point that some of us have been making for a while. Education in thid country is failing young people and has been getting steadily worse for the lst 15 years.

Will the opponents of change and the vested interests in the teaching profession finally have a reality check now I wonder...

Last edited:
Caporegime
And I am saying that it is daft thing to say. It's an unqualified and totally unsubstantiated throwaway remark. Maybe you would like to add some weight to it.

They are proud of their association not the lines of the map. Surely you can see that. There is a big difference. I profess my love for my wife and what she stands for and who she is. I don't profess my love based upon her boundaries even if I do like the shape of them. :D

I don't feel any more association with a British person (who I've never met) than a German person, or Finnish, or Australian...

I'm just as likely to dislike my (British) neighbour as a random Kiwi, Yank, or whoever.

Should I feel any ties to other British people? I really don't see why I should?

As for the World Wars, the British forces were made up of Canadians, Australians, Indians, etc, etc. So I don't think there's any reason to be xenophobic on those grounds.

P.S. I often find nationalism goes hand in hand with xenophobia, don't you think?

Soldato
And I am saying that it is daft thing to say. It's an unqualified and totally unsubstantiated throwaway remark. Maybe you would like to add some weight to it.

They are proud of their association not the lines of the map. Surely you can see that. There is a big difference. I profess my love for my wife and what she stands for and who she is. I don't profess my love based upon her boundaries even if I do like the shape of them. :D

What FoxEye said goes for my thoughts. It just makes no sense at all.

I see it as no different to people seeking out an area to live in full of people like themselves (ie, white people making sure they move to white areas so as to be around white people).

It makes no sense at all

Is culture the expression or outcome of that same mental illness?

I'm not sure where you're trying to take this point.

Culture isn't the same as being patriotic or having national pride.

I don't feel any more association with a British person (who I've never met) than a German person, or Finnish, or Australian...

I'm just as likely to dislike my (British) neighbour as a random Kiwi, Yank, or whoever.

Should I feel any ties to other British people? I really don't see why I should?

As for the World Wars, the British forces were made up of Canadians, Australians, Indians, etc, etc. So I don't think there's any reason to be xenophobic on those grounds.

P.S. I often find nationalism goes hand in hand with xenophobia, don't you think?

This, I don't understand the expectation people have that others want or need to be around those just like them.

It's a bizarre concept.

Soldato

No, I don't think that but you obviously do. And the rest of your post tells me how you feel but adds absolutely no weight to your earlier assertion. I would also respectfully point out now you are talking about 'nationalism' where you started off talking about patriotism and national pride. That's moving the goalposts somewhat isn't it, don't you think? ;)

Caporegime
This goes to back up the point that some of us have been making for a while. Education in thid country is failing young people and has been getting steadily worse for the lst 15 years.

Will the opponants of change and the vested interests in the teaching profession finally have a reality check now I wonder...

Depends what changes are on the table? The only changes I'm aware of are the moves to make schools less dependent on state funding, which is kind of privatisation by the back door.

What changes should we be making to our schools?

Permabanned
There's one word I use a lot lately....

ATTITUDE

A lot of people are disrespectful, ignorant & ungrateful from many backgrounds thinking they must be right. This alone is causing major problems for education.

I'm not just talking about younger generation. I'm talking about humans of any age and gender and anything else that goes with it.

Soldato

Will the opponents of change and the vested interests in the teaching profession finally have a reality check now I wonder...

I guess they'll take as long as all the vested interest groups that you've carefully omitted from mentioning in your post.

I would wager class sizes of 30 kids has more bearing on educational achievement that the vested interests of the teaching profession. No evidence to back that up of course, so save your time from asking, let's just call it a hunch ...

Soldato
No, I don't think that but you obviously do. And the rest of your post tells me how you feel but adds absolutely no weight to your earlier assertion. I would also respectfully point out now you are talking about 'nationalism' where you started off talking about patriotism and national pride. That's moving the goalposts somewhat isn't it, don't you think? ;)

Nationalism is just a more intense form of patriotism.

Soldato
I took a book out of the library last week, it was basically 1960's 11 plus questions on Mathematics and English comprehension. I was quite amazed as although I did not do 11 plus myself but did take nine O levels in 1969 that the expected standards for 11 plus were so high.
O levels must have been harder than I recall.

Man of Honour
I guess they'll take as long as all the vested interest groups that you've carefully omitted from mentioning in your post.

I would wager class sizes of 30 kids has more bearing on educational achievement that the vested interests of the teaching profession. No evidence to back that up of course, so save your time from asking, let's just call it a hunch ...

It probably does, but it certainly doesn't explain the whole picture. Deep reform of our education system is needed. Proposals to bring rigour back to the exam system and reform the pay structure are a start, but nowhere near enough. Smaller class sizes, more intelligent use of selection, more parental involvement and allowing successful schools to grow while closing failing schools all have to be on the agenda.

Soldato
It probably does, but it certainly doesn't explain the whole picture. Deep reform of our education system is needed. Proposals to bring rigour back to the exam system and reform the pay structure are a start, but nowhere near enough. Smaller class sizes, more intelligent use of selection, more parental involvement and allowing successful schools to grow while closing failing schools all have to be on the agenda.

Now that's better. You've actually covered more of the problems there and I think people would be hard pressed to challenge what are reasonable criticisms of the current system. So why the rhetoric soundbite the first time around?

Back
Top Bottom